Author Topic: *^$%^& Chinese batteries  (Read 627 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
*^$%^& Chinese batteries
« on: January 03, 2023, 03:57:04 PM »
I have had an infrared, non-contact medical thermometer that was very handy. I have a cold -- or something -- and both my doc at the VA and I are wondering if it might actually be COVID-19 (again). So I pulled out the thermometer, and it was dead.

No problem, it runs on AAA batteries, and I keep those around. Well, one of the batteries fell right out, but the other one wouldn't come out until I had partially disassembled the case to make wiggle room, and used needle nose pliers to extract it. Of course, the battery had leaked, and destroyed the contacts at the base.

So, I'll order a new one from Amazon. This time I'll toss the batteries that come with it, use brand-name alkalines, and NOT store it with the batteries in it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: *^$%^& Chinese batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 04:01:02 PM »
Even the good name brands can be suspect. I've lost several mini-maglights with energizer of duracell batteries from the battery leaking and nearly killed a classic photographic spot meter with a a leaking AA energizer. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 04:07:06 PM »
I've swore never to buy duracell again after having one after another leak.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »
I have also heard and experienced leakage problems with Kirkland Signature batteries from Costco.  The Net says that Duracell makes them for Costco.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 04:19:58 PM »
I have also heard and experienced leakage problems with Kirkland Signature batteries from Costco.  The Net says that Duracell makes them for Costco.

Yep, discovered that after I had problems with them too.
For the most part energizers and Member's Mark (Sam's) have been good.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 04:20:35 PM »
Haven't had a Rayovac leak since I started using them about 20 years ago. They are the only ones still made in the USA. 
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 04:21:39 PM »
Mostly use Eneloops rechargeables now. I can charge them, throw them in a drawer, and years later they're still good to go. Pulled some from the back of drawer that may have been in there almost 10 years and they still had ~80% of their charge. A good charger is a must, don't cheap out on the charger.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 04:36:17 PM »
Yeah, I also swore off Kirkland batteries some years ago. One of their few bad products. I notice the ones now look different, so Costco may have re-sourced them, but I'm not up for testing them.

I mostly use slow-discharge rechargeables in most stuff I have that sits for longer periods to avoid the leakage issue altogether.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 04:46:29 PM »
I go through five or six dozen AA batteries a month for our door badge readers. I will not, under any circumstance short of imminent bodily injury or death, buy another Duracell. It got to the point that at least half of them would leak, some while still in the package. I switched to Energizer, either Max or Industrial, and the problem is now one or two leaks out of every couple dozen batteries.

If you only use the thermometer occasionally, pull the batteries. I've started doing that for most everything that's occasional use. It's only a small pain to pop them in when I need the thing, far less than the pain of replacing it. The only stuff I leave batteries in now are the emergency flashlights scattered around the house, and I change those out every six months.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:08:39 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 05:11:05 PM »
If you don't go through them real fast, you could just buy the Lithium AA and AAA batteries.  That is what I did for my night vision. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 08:42:35 PM »
I don't use alkaline batteries anymore. High-drain devices don't work well with them and low-drain devices (like a glove box flashlight) just die from leakage. I either use Eneloops or lithium AA/AAA.

In terms of cost per joule, the lithium batteries are competitive with alkaline, but they never leak, work in bitter cold, push more current, and are about half the weight.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 09:43:18 PM »
Duracell reimbursed me for a headlamp that their leaky batteries ruined.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 10:04:55 PM »
Not battery related, but I have found those cheap chinese IR thermometers to be wildly inaccurate.  The Army bought all the units several,  and my wife bought one at the start of the pandemic. Not only do they not read the same as another one reading the same spot, but they aren't repeatable to themselves either. Like +/- 3 degrees.

Just buyer beware on Amazon IR thermometers.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 10:10:30 PM »
Duracell reimbursed me for a headlamp that their leaky batteries ruined.

Rayovac did that for me too.  I wrote about it here.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 10:20:19 PM »
White vinegar on a Q-tip will wipe a lot of the leaky battery gunk off of metal contacts.  Afterwards, clean off any remaining residue with isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip.  I've restored some gear damaged by leaking batteries using that technique.  The thin nickel plating on the contacts is usually destroyed by the battery gunk, but that usually doesn't cause much of the problem.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 03:52:42 PM »
I've had some trouble with cells fitting into the battery clips lately.  Don't know whether the cells are too big or the clips too small.

I don't usually have leakage problems.

IR-wise, I've had good luck with the Harbor Freight ones.  I've got two because I lost and then later found the first one again.  I check my temp on forehead, ear, and bottom of chin.  Normal is 92 point something and I can add the extra six or so degrees.  This depends on what I've been doing and where I've been (excercise and outdoors) but I usually just measure it while sitting on the couch, so consistency is possible.

(I still have an old mercury oral thermometer and a Wallgreens electronic one and I was amazed to find them agreeing 100% within the limits  of reading the Hg one.)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 04:08:48 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 03:06:54 PM »
Got luck a bit ago.

Pulled out my infra red thermometer to check the batteries.

Both had started leaking, but just. Hardly any contamination and no corrosion yet on the contacts. Tossed the batteries, cleaned up the contacts with rubbing alcohol.

All seems well.

Batteries were Toshiba AAAs, which, I believe, came with the unit when I bought it on Amazon a couple of years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.