Author Topic: POF Tombstone 9mm Lever-Action Rifle  (Read 1010 times)

MechAg94

• friend
POF Tombstone 9mm Lever-Action Rifle
« on: January 03, 2023, 07:12:44 PM »
I saw this on Instagram.  POF has an odd new rifle out.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm9g2tWOl9-/

https://pof-usa.com/firearm/tombstone-9mm/
Here is POF's video below.  $1962 MSRP    And it uses the magazines from their 9mm carbine which are proprietary. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKM3HP392MU

I don't know what to think of this.  I assume it is for ban states, but a 20 round mag?  The pricing is way beyond what I would consider.  There are so many really nice 9mm carbines out there for less.  There are a whole bunch of really nice lever action rifles for less.  9mm isn't bad for cheap plinking, but the cost of the rifle targets people who aren't so worried about ammo price.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: POF Tombstone 9mm Lever-Action Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 07:48:21 PM »
 [barf]
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 07:53:59 PM »
[barf]

I'll see your   [barf]
And raise you   [barf] [barf] and a  :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 08:10:33 PM »
Need more rails
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 08:14:26 PM »
I may have seen an uglier rifle somewhere, at some time --- but certainly not recently, and not a lever action.

[barf] seconded
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 08:46:01 PM »
It does occur to me that such a lever action in 300 blackout or maybe 223 or 308 that takes standard magazines might be something worth getting.  9mm doesn't interest me. 

With the magazine and chamber sitting further forward of the lever compared to traditional lever guns, I am curious how this carry/shoot.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 08:52:51 PM »
It does occur to me that such a lever action in 300 blackout or maybe 223 or 308 that takes standard magazines might be something worth getting.  9mm doesn't interest me. 

Henry makes lever actions in 223, 308, 243, and 6.5 CM missus the "standard" mags in your request though

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/long-ranger-express/

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

Been lusting for one in 308
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 09:38:25 PM »
California and places that hate on semi-auto, and privileged people with money to burn.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 10:08:44 PM »

Ask and ye shall receive:  https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/hlr-300-bkt

The POF 9mm would be cooler if it took MP5 mags.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 10:50:14 PM »
Kinda like Remchesters pump action.223 that took AR mags. Great plan if only the price was 300% less. Wanna be tactical in a ban state get a lever action .44 mag, suppress it, put a thermal scope on it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 11:31:13 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive:  https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/hlr-300-bkt

The POF 9mm would be cooler if it took MP5 mags.
That is pretty cool.  However, that foregrip is ugly as hell on that gun.  Surely they could find something better.  I don't need multiple attachment points.  Just a place to mount a light and an optics rail on top.  And looking closer, I don't like the AR receiver.  It is an AR with a lever, not a lever gun that takes mags.  Something to think about I guess. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 11:32:42 PM »
Henry makes lever actions in 223, 308, 243, and 6.5 CM missus the "standard" mags in your request though

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/long-ranger-express/

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

Been lusting for one in 308
The key part of my musings was something that takes standard magazines.  The Henry looks nice, but only has a 4 shot capacity I think.  One in 308 would be very cool, but I doubt I would ever set aside that sort of money. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 07:14:33 AM »
well.

Looking at that just ruined my entire 2023.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 08:01:21 AM »
Apparently these tactical lever designs have become popular with some segment of the gun community. I'm pretty sure I've seen variants positively reviewed on several of the bigger youtube gun channels.

I suppose it's because I'm a boomer, but while I'm open-minded about many gun trends, to me, lever actions always need to be classic designs with wood stocks. I don't even like to see guys scope their 30-30s for hunting.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 08:27:56 AM »
I suppose it's because I'm a boomer, but while I'm open-minded about many gun trends, to me, lever actions always need to be classic designs with wood stocks. I don't even like to see guys scope their 30-30s for hunting.  =)

Like rails on a 1911 or Beretta 92. Just doesn't look right.

That said I have a 1-3x scope on my 45-70 Guide gun.  :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 08:30:35 AM »
Apparently these tactical lever designs have become popular with some segment of the gun community. I'm pretty sure I've seen variants positively reviewed on several of the bigger youtube gun channels.

I can see scopes, but I don't care for the full sized scopes on lever guns. 

The Henry X Lever rifle is done pretty well.  Optics rail along with a small rail or two forward that can mount a light.  Still maintains traditional lines with what looks like a normal hand guard.  I don't think I care for some of the aluminum hand guards.  They tend to copy AR's which feels wrong for a lever gun.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 08:42:23 AM »

I hunt bears with a lever gun, trust me you want that scope when the bear comes in with a few moments of daylight left. I have a 1-5x33 scope on my .444. I've been jonesing for a lever action in .35 Rem for deer.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 09:12:10 AM »
I get (especially with my aging eyes) why you put a scope on a lever hunting gun. I'm just saying it has never looked "correct" to me. JMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 09:17:46 AM »
That is pretty cool.  However, that foregrip is ugly as hell on that gun.  Surely they could find something better.  I don't need multiple attachment points.  Just a place to mount a light and an optics rail on top.  And looking closer, I don't like the AR receiver.  It is an AR with a lever, not a lever gun that takes mags.  Something to think about I guess.

Looking at it it's an AR fore end, so one could swap it out if you don't like M-Lock slots, but M-lok is pretty unobtrusive.  I suppose you could put a wood fore-end on there to be super confused.

I was thinking about what you said about the receivers, and while at first blush I agreed, on further thought, I think they did the right thing there.  Neither the upper or lower are actually AR parts but since they were using AR mags and ammo, it makes sense to re-use the mature engineering of the AR platform where it works.  The magwell geometry is set by the mag, so use the M4 feed ramps and AR mag height, which lets you use AR barrels and fore ends for easy modularity.  The bolt head is then pretty much figured out then, and once you use a rotating bolt to interface with the AR barrel, the looks of the front part of the upper receiver are pretty much locked in. Then you just need a proprietary carrier to interface with the lever.  It looks like everything in the lower except the take down pins are unique to this gun, but since they needed to be AR adjacent to use the mags and ammo, maximizing the amount of the AR aftermarket that works make sense both from a manufacturing perspective and a sales one.

I wouldn't call it an AR with a lever though.  I bet not much behind the barrel nut is actually AR compatible. It is kinda weird looking though.  I'm definitely not buying one.  Although if I had to choose between the FightLite or the abortion in the OP, I'd go with the FightLite in a hot sec.

Side Note on the OP:  Who shot a damn near 6lb 9mm and thought "What this thing really needs is a Brake!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 09:29:17 AM »
I get (especially with my aging eyes) why you put a scope on a lever hunting gun. I'm just saying it has never looked "correct" to me. JMO.

I gotcha.

I run around the north woods so much, I don't even think twice about a scoped lever action.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 09:38:42 AM »
Looking at it it's an AR fore end, so one could swap it out if you don't like M-Lock slots, but M-lok is pretty unobtrusive.  I suppose you could put a wood fore-end on there to be super confused.

I was thinking about what you said about the receivers, and while at first blush I agreed, on further thought, I think they did the right thing there.  Neither the upper or lower are actually AR parts but since they were using AR mags and ammo, it makes sense to re-use the mature engineering of the AR platform where it works.  The magwell geometry is set by the mag, so use the M4 feed ramps and AR mag height, which lets you use AR barrels and fore ends for easy modularity.  The bolt head is then pretty much figured out then, and once you use a rotating bolt to interface with the AR barrel, the looks of the front part of the upper receiver are pretty much locked in. Then you just need a proprietary carrier to interface with the lever.  It looks like everything in the lower except the take down pins are unique to this gun, but since they needed to be AR adjacent to use the mags and ammo, maximizing the amount of the AR aftermarket that works make sense both from a manufacturing perspective and a sales one.

I wouldn't call it an AR with a lever though.  I bet not much behind the barrel nut is actually AR compatible. It is kinda weird looking though.  I'm definitely not buying one.  Although if I had to choose between the FightLite or the abortion in the OP, I'd go with the FightLite in a hot sec.

Side Note on the OP:  Who shot a damn near 6lb 9mm and thought "What this thing really needs is a Brake!"
The gun could grow on me if I had a use for it.  If you wanted a non-semi auto 300 blackout and wanted something faster than a bolt action, that would do it.  If semi-auto was not available or allowed, it makes some sense also. 

On the side note, manufacturers are putting brakes on everything these days.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 10:14:24 AM »
For almost $2k you would think they could make it so it doesn't look like garbage... especially with all the (I think) exposed screw heads.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2023, 10:49:23 AM »
For almost $2k you would think they could make it so it doesn't look like garbage... especially with all the (I think) exposed screw heads.

Real world street price should be ~$1,500-1,700.
Still way too high IMHO for it to be anything other than a niche item anywhere but in areas where a semi-auto ban may be imposed, assuming that isn't all 50 states soon.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2023, 09:52:29 PM »
Has anyone ever tried a lever action with a magazine coming in on the left side?  That wouldn't get in the way of the lever.