Author Topic: We're doomed  (Read 940 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: We're doomed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 10:21:28 AM »
"Higher"  :rofl:  :facepalm:
275 popped into my head automatically.

But in the name of equity anyone answering 225 or any other answer or even no answer will be given the same grade as those answering 275. Trophies for everyone!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 10:29:36 AM »
Simple division is higher math now?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 10:50:40 AM »
We learned a lot of math shorties at Brooklyn Tech in the late forties and early fifties.  One of them was to break the problem into digestable segments.

"Half of 500 is 250 half of 50 is 25, sum = 275," as an example, viz WLJ.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:21:38 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 10:56:07 AM »
Ask the same people to read an analog clock.

I bet a significant number of them would have a stroke.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 11:01:48 AM »
We should locate every math teacher* who passed these people along and claw back a portion of their salaries, since they clearly didn't do their jobs and - by issuing passing grades certifying a certain level of competence - falsified records.

* OK, every math teacher past 3rd grade.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 11:08:24 AM »
As Terry mentioned, I divided the problem as half of 500, and half of 50.

I do somewhat frequently have to do mental math like this in the metal shop.  Measure a diameter, figure out how much per side I need to cut on the lathe, for instance.

I tried long division and largeish multiplication on paper a fer years ago.  I could do it, but division took me a second to get back into the swing of it.

At one point Iearned how to do square roots on paper. That's gone.

My calculus is shaky.  I don't remember all the identities you need to get from point a to b.

One thing I wish I had learned in grade school which would have been useful in future education is shorthand. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 11:34:54 AM »
Multiplying by five is easy.  Move the decimal (multiply by ten) and take half of that.

In the 550 case, we're already "halfway" there with 275.  Now, times 10 =2750.

550 X 5 = 2750.

Ta-dahhh!

Now if h. sapiens had developed with 11 fingers, we'd be in baaaad trouble.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 11:58:20 AM »
Now if h. sapiens had developed with 11 fingers, we'd be in baaaad trouble.

Thread veer:  If humans had 11 fingers, would we have a base 11 numeric system?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 12:31:50 PM »
Thread veer:  If humans had 11 fingers, would we have a base 11 numeric system?
Did the Sumerians have 12 fingers?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 12:32:53 PM »

I thought they had 60.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 12:37:21 PM »
I read speculation about why the Sumerians used base 12.  It is the highest number that can be easily counted on one hand.  Touch your thumb to each finger tip (4).  Then touch your thumb to each of your first finger joints (4 more).  Then touch your thumb to each of your second finger joints (4 more).  12 total!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 12:49:27 PM »
I read speculation about why the Sumerians used base 12.  It is the highest number that can be easily counted on one hand.  Touch your thumb to each finger tip (4).  Then touch your thumb to each of your first finger joints (4 more).  Then touch your thumb to each of your second finger joints (4 more).  12 total!
That's just gross.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 12:51:41 PM »
That's just gross.

To the Elventyone!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 12:56:54 PM »
That's just gross.

I see what you did there...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 01:18:56 PM »

Unfortunately, mine would be a base 8 if that were the case.

Damned arthritis...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 01:56:09 PM »
based

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 01:57:51 PM »
<tinfoil>Maybe some did</tinfoil>

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 01:58:59 PM »

use binary, reach 32.  (11111)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 02:42:55 PM »
We learned a lot of math shorties at Brooklyn Tech in the late forties and early fifties.  One of them was to break the problem into digestable segments.

"Half of 500 is 250 half of 50 is 25, sum = 275," as an example, viz WLJ.

Terry, 230RN
I would do what you did.  Part of the basic skill of math is to break the problem into smaller problems that you can easily solve.  (teaching you to logically think)  I guess kids aren't taught that anymore.  I recall college professors that were very good at doing big physics equations in their head by rounding up and down all the numbers and getting within 10% of the exact answer in the end.  Most everyone memorized all the single digit multiplication tables so break your problem down to that point.   

The confusing thing to me about the article is why people think the answer is 225.  Is this some sort of common core thinking?  Maybe they think 2 + 2 = 5?

Maybe the other question is do students spend much time doing multiplication and division on paper?  You can line up 550 / 2 on paper and do it the long way easily enough to prove your answer. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 02:53:13 PM »
For ancient merchants and traders, maybe base 12 made some sense. For example, with base 10, you can divide 10 evenly into 1, 2, 5, and 10 parts - so that's one tenth, one fifth, one half, and one whole. If you work in base 12, you can divide evenly into 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12, so that's one twelfth, one sixth, one quarter, one third, one half, and one whole. So base 12 makes sense if you're in a business that requires divvying things up.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 03:02:33 PM »

Using binary, it's easy to count to 1023 on your hands.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 03:05:52 PM »
My wife threw an absolute fit when I tried teaching my children hexadecimal when they were still in elementary school.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2023, 03:34:42 PM »
Then there's the old joke about why programmers have only nine fingers.  Since zero is a number, they count them starting with zero.