Author Topic: Congressional Charlie Foxtrot  (Read 2523 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Congressional Charlie Foxtrot
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2023, 12:12:47 PM »
I recognize some of the dissenters MechAg94 helpfully included in his post - there are some good people in there. (Well . . . "good" is a relative term, since they're all congresscritters.)

As for the motion to vacate . . .
The motion to vacate can be initiated by any single majority member . . .

Ummm . . . no. One, single, member ought not be able to hang things up completely. Now, if 5 or 10 members sign on to a motion to vacate - I could see that.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2023, 12:22:40 PM »
MechAg94 remarked, "Were they assuming many of them would end up losing their seats?"

I was wondering that with the elections in Colorado.  There seemed to be zero effort on the Republican side to create a real campaign. If I saw ten Republican candidate ads, it was a lot, compared to "the hundreds" of Dem ads.

Makes me wonder, too.

Is the Dem takeover complete, and the individual Repubs  each just sniffing around hoping for possible future crumbs from the new Ruling Regime?

Cynics want to know...

Seems to have been an "every man for himself" situation since the election.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 12:43:03 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2023, 12:40:08 PM »
I recognize some of the dissenters MechAg94 helpfully included in his post - there are some good people in there. (Well . . . "good" is a relative term, since they're all congresscritters.)

As for the motion to vacate . . .
Ummm . . . no. One, single, member ought not be able to hang things up completely. Now, if 5 or 10 members sign on to a motion to vacate - I could see that.

A little backstory on the motion to vacate. They're not asking for anything new - they're asking for the original (removed by Pelosi) to be put back in place. Certainly we can still debate the rule itself, but it's a pretty old rule, not something "the terrorists" just came up with.

The motion to vacate the chair is a parliamentary rule (peculiar to Congress) that describes the right of any member of the House of Representatives to call for the formal removal of a sitting Speaker of the House and the election of a new one.

This power comes, technically, not from the Constitution but rather from a parliamentary rules manual written by Thomas Jefferson during his tenure as Vice President—and President of the Senate—between 1797 and 1801. The manual—now known as Jefferson's Manual—was adopted by Congress as an official rule book in 1837. The manual does not supersede the Constitution. Instead, it provides the rules—essentially the bylaws—for how Congress conducts its legislative business.

https://ballotpedia.org/Fact_check/When_was_the_%22motion_to_vacate_the_chair%22_rule_last_used_in_Congress
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2023, 01:41:47 PM »
 [popcorn]

Matt Gaetz votes for Donald Trump for House speaker in slight to McCarthy
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/matt-gaetz-votes-donald-trump-house-speaker-slight-mccarthy
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2023, 06:02:20 PM »
Nine time loser! Go home man!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2023, 06:13:48 PM »
I read at BBC News that McCarthy has conceded on the Motion to Vacate (they didn't call it that), and something else I don't remember what; something to do with committee assignments.  I wonder why that's not enough.  Or maybe it is and they haven't voted again yet
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2023, 06:29:03 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2023, 08:17:56 AM »
On one hand  :facepalm:
On the other   :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Trump shares a preview of Biden’s next State of the Union (if he’s elected House Speaker)
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/01/05/trump-shares-a-preview-of-bidens-next-state-of-the-union-if-hes-elected-house-speaker/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2023, 08:26:04 AM »
^^^

Would be no worse than how Pelosi acted.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2023, 09:08:28 AM »
Since the Speaker doesn't have to be a currently elected member of the House, maybe they should elect former Speaker Newt Gingrich. He could probably handle it since he wouldn't also have to represent any particular congressional district.

Yeah, I know at 80 he's gotten old (he still seems to be at least 10x sharper mentally than Traitor Joe) and he wasn't quite as perfect in the role as some people thought he was . . . but for the next two years, the GOP could certainly do worse.

And probably will.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2023, 09:12:16 AM »
I, for one, am looking forward to the cognitive dissonance and later gaslighting from the GOP True Believers after McCarthy sells out any power the majority could have had to the Democrats in order to secure his personal power.  Who knows how many dimensions this chess game will get to.

And the squabbling in the Twitter Public Square will be good for some popcorn.   [popcorn]

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2023, 09:16:52 AM »
Since the Speaker doesn't have to be a currently elected member of the House, maybe they should elect former Speaker Newt Gingrich.

While I have really had nothing against Gingrich, I'm not crazy about his recent comments about the 20ish holdouts here. He seems to be firmly in the "they're terrorist extremists" camp.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2023, 09:31:05 AM »
While I have really had nothing against Gingrich, I'm not crazy about his recent comments about the 20ish holdouts here. He seems to be firmly in the "they're terrorist extremists" camp.

He wasn't perfect before (he hasn't been honest about his "balancing the budget" when he was speaker), won't be perfect now, and I sure don't worship the ground he walks on.

But I'm just trying to come up with a potential speaker that might be acceptable to 218 GOP representatives and who will try to do a credible job for this country in that position.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2023, 09:49:03 AM »
Call the Selective Service, have them pull someone's Draft Number.  There you go, they are Speaker of The House, or they go to Jail.

Better odds of being an honest moral person than anyone else we got.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2023, 09:57:23 AM »
Call the Selective Service, have them pull someone's Draft Number.  There you go, they are Speaker of The House, or they go to Jail.

Better odds of being an honest moral person than anyone else we got.

I could get behind that for all the positions in the Senate and the House.  Then it would be true public service.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2023, 10:04:36 AM »
I could get behind that for all the positions in the Senate and the House.  Then it would be true public service.
I think the adult female* portion of the citizenry might not support this.

*- That's women, not alphabet people.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2023, 10:12:28 AM »
I think the adult female* portion of the citizenry might not support this.

*- That's women, not alphabet people.

Yeah I thought of that, but it's long past time to add them to the Selective Service anyway.  If it gets to the point we need a Draft, there's plenty they can do in uniform.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2023, 10:26:27 AM »
Here's something I didn't know/realize, or if I did I forgot it long ago...

I always thought that only the party in the majority voted for the new Speaker of the House.

Turns out that the Democrats have been voting 100% for Hakeem Jeffries, Democrat, of course, to be the new speaker. And apparently Maxine Waters, the kind, benevolent, calm, grandmotherly psycho bitch that she is, made that point in remarks yesterday on the House floor.

It's pretty sad when a horrid train wreck of a person can point out that your entire process is a... horrid train wreck.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2023, 10:35:15 AM »

Jacob Chansley for Speaker!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2023, 10:53:57 AM »
I'm changing my vote.  They should elect Byron Donalds immediately.  Dems would spontaneously combust over the identity politics dissonance.

He's the one with the suppressed fiddy:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1611121480959418372

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2023, 11:02:41 AM »
At what point should McCarthy just tuck his tail and set out of this?

I don't think there's been more than 1 or 2 reps change their votes TO him since this whole mess started.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2023, 11:07:56 AM »

No, the Senate is supposed to represent the states, and shouldn't be elected at all. They should be appointed. The house is supposed to represent the people, so the candidates should be drawn from the population of the states through a lottery similar to jury selection. Go ahead and have an election to vote on the best candidate if you want, but the candidate selection process should select from a pool of common citizens and not politicians.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2023, 12:12:13 PM »
Looking pretty clear that McCarthy's going to go 0 for 12 in votes.

House is convening.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2023, 11:18:44 PM »
0 for 14 now.  And some folks getting testy, going after each other physically.  Motion to adjourn to Monday at noon made at 11:16 PM, voice vote to raucous to count. Lots of confusion the part of the chair and others running the clown show.  They are polling members now to get an accurate count on the motion to adjourn.
McCarthy did get 216 votes in the last go around, however.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 08:20:22 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2023, 02:25:50 AM »
McCarthy is in, though it did require him to make some concessions.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife