Author Topic: Congressional Charlie Foxtrot  (Read 2584 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Congressional Charlie Foxtrot
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2023, 07:48:11 AM »
McCarthy is in, though it did require him to make some concessions.

Needed to don a wig and high heels and start drinking vodka
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2023, 08:14:31 AM »
I wonder what concessions were forced that they didn't think were necessary last week?  I don't think I am expecting much from this Speaker.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2023, 08:31:31 AM »
Apparently Mike Rogers tried to go after Matt Gaetz on the House floor yesterday and had to be restrained.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mike-rogers-lunges-matt-gaetz-house-speaker-voting-members-forced-intervene-video

McCarthy, in his remarks after accepting the speakership, said that the Capitol is going to reopen to Americans. Republicans cheered, Democrats apparently just sat there.

I wonder if they would have cheered had he said that he was going to support "mostly peaceful protests" in Democratic-led crime hives, er..., cities across the US?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2023, 08:55:13 AM »
From what I've heard, with a few exceptions the "concessions" should have been part of any GOP speaker's plan from the beginning. That they weren't is a bit unsettling.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2023, 09:16:06 AM »
I had a live feed of the election going last night when this occurred.  Quite the foofaraw among those running the show.  I gave up and went to bed before a promised video replay of the event was shown.  It was taking forever to get the replay queued up.
Looking at the video in the Fox News story, it looks more like Rep. Rogers simply leaned in to say something to McCarthy.  In my opinion, there was no real "lunge" as has been reported.  Rep. Hudson, R-N.C, restraining Rogers appeared to me to be an overreaction on Hudson's part and really unnecessary.
More stupid political theater.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2023, 09:18:58 AM »
"Rogers simply leaned in to say something to McCarthy."

Yeah, I watched the video a couple of times on Fox, and unless something happened AFTER the cameras cut away, it sounds as if it's being over hyped.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2023, 09:27:42 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2023, 10:24:00 AM »
I had a live feed of the election going last night when this occurred.  Quite the foofaraw among those running the show.

A foofaraw? Not a fracas or a row?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »

I think both a fracas and a row require a bit more screaming and yelling.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2023, 11:44:59 AM »
I'm changing my vote.  They should elect Byron Donalds immediately.
Another black face of white supremacy?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2023, 11:48:06 AM »
Here's Omar with a predicable tweet

McCarthy just agreed to a deal with far right insurrectionists that would hold the entire US and global economy hostage to extreme cuts to everything from housing to education, healthcare, Social Security and Medicare.

Hard to overstate how dangerous this is.

— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) January 6, 2023
https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp-313137/2023/01/07/ilhan-omar-angry-tweets-and-gets-hilariously-dogpiled/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2023, 12:31:41 PM »
Hey, can we just make it an insurrection?

I mean, since everything Republicans/conservatives say, think, or do (or don't say, think, or do) is racist, we ought to be able to define everything they say, think, or do as an insurrection as well.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2023, 01:21:54 PM »
I can't find it now but one Democrat was so traumatized by the whole speaker mess that he's claiming that Republicans are now going to shoot up the House chamber and target the opposition.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2023, 05:11:09 PM »
I can't find it now but one Democrat was so traumatized by the whole speaker mess that he's claiming that Republicans are now going to shoot up the House chamber and target the opposition.

Unfortunately, many members of Congress (of both parties, but it would seem more Democrats than Republicans) should probably never have been allowed to graduate from Kindergarten.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2023, 05:36:04 PM »
Gun & Gadgets breakdown of the results

https://youtu.be/dk9WzpTeWq0

Apparently the hardliner holdouts were forcing McCarthy to concede on much-needed procedural changes, and an agreement to hold guaranteed votes on several key items unaddressed by provious admininstration.

I'm much more at ease with the holdouts. Honestly, I'm a little ticked at how few members were holding firm now that I know what motivated it.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:45:10 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2023, 06:22:14 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2023, 06:45:52 PM »

I think it was two female legislators: Pramila Jayapal and Eric Swalwell.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2023, 08:41:06 PM »
I think it was two female legislators: Pramila Jayapal and Eric Swalwell.

Eric He Who Sleeps With Chinese Spies Swalwell.
If he was an R the Ds and the MSM would be screaming for his removal and imprisonment.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2023, 10:27:32 PM »
Eric He Who Sleeps With Chinese Spies Swalwell.
If he was an R the Ds and the MSM would be screaming for his removal and imprisonment.

"Well, okay, so he's an idiot and maybe a traitor. But he's OUR idiot and maybe traitor."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2023, 10:51:01 PM »
"Well, okay, so he's an idiot and maybe a traitor. But he's OUR idiot and maybe traitor."

Being from the America-hating side of things, they won't ever consider him to be a "traitor".  =(  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2023, 11:15:04 PM »

The way I understand it, he pretty much gave up the house. I bet in 60 days they will be voting for a new speaker.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2023, 03:15:53 PM »
Everything changes once you know what McCarthy and Gaetz were actually saying
https://twitter.com/BadLipReading/status/1611934183110365184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2023, 03:26:20 PM »
OK, that was really weird.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2023, 03:27:50 PM »
Unfortunately, many members of Congress (of both parties, but it would seem more Democrats than Republicans) should probably never have been allowed to graduate from Kindergarten.

Uhm... excuse me, but from what I've seen over the past couple of years, they are currently IN kindergarten.

The special kind of kindergarten for complete and total f*expletive deleted*tards.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2023, 03:28:43 PM »
Uhm... excuse me, but from what I've seen over the past couple of years, they are currently IN kindergarten.

The special kind of kindergarten for complete and total f*expletive deleted*tards.

They're special
- Calvin and Hobbes