Author Topic: Cheap Red Dots?  (Read 352 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cheap Red Dots?
« on: January 04, 2023, 01:22:59 PM »
Are the Primary Arms rotary RDs still the best bang for the buck inexpensive RDs out there, or is there something else I should look at?

This is for a recent 7.62x39 AR build that I'm pretty sure is gonna just be a range gun, and I'm out of spare RDs. I have on of the older PA SLx RDs (recommended by some of you guys) on another range gun, and am happy with it for the purpose and price.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Cheap Red Dots?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 01:24:01 PM »
Burris
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 02:14:58 PM »
PA is still pretty good, and they keep updating their product line to make it better.  Their SLx branded red dots are the current gen ones.  The "decent, cheap chicom red dot" segment has gotten bigger though, and we have some more choices. Holosun makes a ~$130 red dot with shake awake that fits Aimpoint mounts, so you can spend more on your mount than the dot and slap a Unity Riser on there.  =D The Burris Fastfire RD, as mentioned, is pretty solid and $149 at Primary Arms right now.

However, for my money, I've stocked up on a couple of the Sig Red Dots. PSA keeps putting Sig Romeo7s's and Romeo 5's on their daily deals and I bought a couple of those to use as toss around cheap dots and have really liked them.  I have a 5 on my takedown bag AR, and a 7s on a 5.56 Carbine, and a bullpup 12ga, and they've been doing well.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-romeo7s-1x22-2-moa-red-dot-sight-black-sor75001.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-1x20mm-red-dot-sight-black-r52001.html

As a out of left field suggestion, I also have been playing with Swampfox Optics.  I have a med power scope that is really nice for the price, and two of their micro dots, one riding a pistol, and one on an offset mount on a carbine.  So far, no complaints they seem to work well, although I haven't torture tested them like a GunTuber.  Probably 2500 rounds through the three, collectively.  They also have a smoking 30% military discount, which doesn't help you, but I appreciate.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/

ETA:  One thing, since you are well equipped.  All of these dots have a couple "night vision" brightness settings.  They don't work well for passive aiming.  IME, the cheaper glass and coatings don't pass enough light for them to work.  At best you have an occluded sight.  At worst a big black thing blocking your vision.  It seems nothing short of an EOTech or Aimpoint passes enough light for passive aiming.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 02:15:48 PM »
I have one or two cheap Sig Optics and they seem to work well.  I think they were the ones on sale for $100.  The red dots with shake-awake functionality are nice, but long battery life is just as good.  It seems a lot of brands make cheap red dots that are pretty good.

If you want to go just a bit more, I like the PA prism optics.  Their newer compact 3X is pretty good and compact, but it is $300. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 02:43:30 PM »
Thanks for suggestions so far. I do have and like the Romeo 5 as a inexpensive option, though have 4s on the "working guns". I've actually not researched the 7s. Going with one of the Sigs would maybe let me use some Cabelas bucks, though I'm not sure how many I have right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 03:29:30 PM »
I've got a Sig Romeo 5.  Seems to work well but probably les than 100 rounds under it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 07:31:30 PM »
So I have $120 cabelas bucks and looking at their website, they have the Sig MSR on sale right now for $99. That's ~$15 more than PSA or Primary Arms are selling it for, but would be free to me. It reminded me that the last time I bought an optic, I had an interest in the MSR but ultimately went to something higher end. For free, I think it might fit the bill for me. No shake awake, but again, it's for a range rifle. I need to check out some reviews on it to refresh my memory.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 09:55:42 PM »
So I have $120 cabelas bucks and looking at their website, they have the Sig MSR on sale right now for $99. That's ~$15 more than PSA or Primary Arms are selling it for, but would be free to me. It reminded me that the last time I bought an optic, I had an interest in the MSR but ultimately went to something higher end. For free, I think it might fit the bill for me. No shake awake, but again, it's for a range rifle. I need to check out some reviews on it to refresh my memory.
I have one MSR.  I put it on my KSG shotgun since it was cheap.  Seemed to work well; better than I expected.  However I haven't actually shot that gun all that much. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 07:08:16 PM »
I have an MSR on a 5.56 AR15 and a Hi-Point 10MM in a bullpup stock.  Both hold zero and function well.  Good dot for the price.