Author Topic: Doublethink  (Read 277 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Doublethink
« on: January 05, 2023, 12:12:55 AM »
Saw a notice that a nearby university has openings for instructors. The notice was from a professional society I belong to, so I foolishly though thee might be an opening in a field in interested and qualified in.

Nope.

But ... in perusing the open faculty positions, I found the following:

Equal Opportunity Statements

The University is committed to achieving a diverse and pluralistic community that reflects the multiracial and culturally diverse society in the United States through strict non-discrimination in admissions, educational programs and employment. The commitment to Affirmative Action is also a commitment to be proactive in the continuing effort to diversify the faculty, staff and the student body at the University. The University will base decisions on employment so as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity.

If that's not a classic example of both doubletalk and doublethink, I don't know what is.  ANY form of affirmative action is, by self-definition, discrimination. It is not possible to simultaneously commit to both diversification and equal employment opportunity.

Then, under their Non-Discrimination bullet point, they say the following:

The University is committed in achieving a diverse and pluralistic community, which reflects the multi-racial and culturally diverse society in the United States through strict non-discrimination in admissions, educational programs and employment. The commitment to Affirmative Action is also a commitment to be proactive in the continuing effort to diversify the faculty, staff and the student body at the University. The University will base decisions on employment so as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity.

Unpossible.

It is the University’s goal to hire the most qualified individuals in every position within the University. The University is committed to basing judgments concerning employment of individuals on their qualifications, abilities, skills and experience and affirmatively seeks to attract persons with diverse backgrounds.

The University will recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to individual’s sex, sexual orientation, race, color, personal appearance, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, civil union status, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, genetic information, disability (including but not limited to, intellectual disability, past or present history of mental disorder, physical disability or learning disability) or any other basis prohibited by state and/or federal nondiscrimination laws.

I'm only a senior citizen who has been a technical writer and editor for about fifty years. Reading the above made my brain hurt. In a single sub-page, they have annunciated and committed to adhering to two mutually-exclusive goals.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 10:16:25 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
Re: Doublethink
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 01:20:01 AM »
You are guilty of wrongthink.  When I took my diversity class, those very questions were asked.  It was explained to me that it wasn't discrimination to seek only minorities (BTW, head hunting was an unacceptable term) and requiring that X percent of the hires be of a certain race was not a quota.  So apparently you're not the only one that's confused.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Doublethink
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 07:13:25 AM »
Luckily, you're a white conservative male so you're not covered under any of that, and expecting to be protected by any of that makes you a double super secret racist.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.