Author Topic: New California law requires companies to show salaries on job listings...  (Read 439 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/05/heres-how-much-top-tech-jobs-in-california-pay-according-to-job-ads.html

I'm sort of for this, but given that it's a California requirement, I'm constitutionally required to hate it, I guess...

I've had numerous interactions with over the years where, had the salary been listed, I wouldn't have bothered to waste my time.

The most recent was in 2020 when I was out of the job from hell. I applied to (with enthusiastic help from an insider) for what looked to be a really good position supporting a Navy contract.

They required an active TS/SCI with a CI poly, which I had, and which then, and still does, is in high demand.

The interview with the team was fantastic, and they really wanted to bring me on board. The hiring team (including the recruiter) knew exactly what my salary requirements were.

But when I was offered the job, it was for nearly $30,000 LESS than my salary minimum, and $25,000 less than what I had been making at the previous position.

When I flat out called them out on it the response I got was "well, the customer won't authorize anything more than that." So, you're telling me that you KNEW what the customer authorized, you KNEW my salary requirements, and you didn't think it was going to be a waste of everyone's time to continue?

He didn't have much to say about that, but I had a LOT to say about it when they sent me a survey to ask me about my interview experience, and I didn't hold back. That left a very bad taste in my mouth for that company and I've firmly rejected any recruiting attempts from them since.

The only thing I can figure is that that happened in April 2020 at the start of COVID shutdowns and layoffs and they figured that they could get someone who had just lost a job (me) and who was desperate to find another position (not me by any stretch of the imagination). They wanted to pay not much above entry level for a position that required significant experience and the clearances.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
Generally speaking, on the surface I think California's salary disclosure requirement sounds good . . . but like Mike, I think I'm supposed to hate it since it's from Kali.  ;)

Historically, hiring companies often want your salary history, but won't tell you what the job's pay range is until/unless they make you an offer. I'd say most job-seekers hate that part of the recruiting process.

When I was finishing up my graduate degree, quite a few recruiters for major companies were interviewing at my university. Got a number of offers, but one company recruiter (for a private not for profit research institute) began the interview basically by telling me what the pay was (about 20% LOWER than a couple of good offers I already had in hand), the long hours required, the less-than-industry-standard benefits, and the limited opportunity for advancement.

I stood up, shook hands with him, thanked him for being honest, and walked out - and politely advised him that he wasn't even in the ballpark to make a competitive offer.

It turned out that several other fellow students did the exact same thing I did, and the recruiter gave the ladies in the recruiting office a bit of a hard time about "mercenary grad students who aren't committed to making the planet better" or some such drivel.  ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"It turned out that several other fellow students did the exact same thing I did, and the recruiter gave the ladies in the recruiting office a bit of a hard time about "mercenary grad students who aren't committed to making the planet better" or some such drivel.  ;/"

I've had coworkers mention their personal experiences with similar situations... where the recruiter/hiring manager/whatever essentially badmouths the contract, the company, the benefits, the staff, whatever, but then gets HIGHLY indignant when the potential candidate turns them down...

Like holy hell, if the representatives for the company are that toxic, what's the contract and the rest of the staff going to be like?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Washington state implemented a similar salary transparency law beginning 1/1/2023.  I think they have to list a salary range for the position.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
This is basically a transparent pricing law, so I'm basically in favor. Next we need transparent pricing for medical procedures and airline tickets.

I expect employers to do the bare minimum by listing huge salary ranges. Also it's fundamentally flawed because it doesn't include bonuses or stock options, and those can be a huge portion of compensation. This is very misleading when you look at same salaries for company A and Company B but the true compensation for one of them could be 100% higher. But it's a step in the right direction and better than zero information.

The feds are considering banning non-compete agreements and I'm 1000% in agreement with that. I don't know how those ever got to be allowed in the first place.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend

The feds are considering banning non-compete agreements and I'm 1000% in agreement with that. I don't know how those ever got to be allowed in the first place.

I have an idea.

When I was in graduate school, one of our instructors was an associate (I don't think he was a full partner) in one of the better-known architecture firms in the city where I was attending school. The next year, all of a sudden he had his own firm -- and major contracts with a couple of his old firm's clients.

Turns out what he had done was to manage his role as senior project architect on those projects in a way that made him the sole repository of much key information. When he jumped ship, there was no way the old firm could reconstruct the missing information without causing massive overruns on their payroll -- which they would not have been able to recoup from the client under the terms of the contract.

So the only practical thing they could do was what they did -- pass the projects along to the departed scheister.

It was truly a dick maneuver. He was quite candid about it to us, seemed to not have any shame over it, and in fact he gave every indication that he thought he was a boy genius for doing it.

It's that kind of skulduggery that non-compete agreements are aimed at preventing. I understand the reason form them. I do agree that some are overly broad, but I don't see them all as being inherently evil.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I also wish that new/used vehicle selling prices and mileage for used vehicles have to be in advertisements too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

sumpnz

• friend
A non-compete clause should require the employer to pay the difference in salary of the departing employee for the new vs old position (with an assumed CPI amount or 3% annual raise) for the entire period of the non-compete period if they dismiss the person without cause.  And if the dismissed employee can’t find a new job that doesn’t compete without relocating the enforcing employer should have to either pay their salary or the costs of relocation not covered by the new employer.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Steve Lehto's newest video just happens to be about non-compete agreements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENT3kQk2EOM
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design