Author Topic: The 2024 Circus  (Read 31975 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The 2024 Circus
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2023, 08:34:16 PM »
You said he should get the same consideration as anyone else.

That's why I'm not considering him.  Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say?

It's not about who you or me are voting for - it's about fairness for candidates across the political spectrum to be able to run. The establishment dems are doing the same to him as the establishment Rs did to Trump, and what the establishment Rs will do to guys like Ramaswamy. If RFK meets all the same qualifications for a dem candidacy As Harris or Newsom, he should receive the same consideration, to include SS protection that they will absolutely get if Biden quits and they run.

Outsiders not welcome, even though that's exactly what we need.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2023, 01:29:53 AM »
The community note on that tweet says it all.  Candidates don't get SS protection this far out, and every rando that runs a campaign doesn't necessarily ever get one.

Immediate family of the sitting President does, pretty much always, get SS protection detail.  If he's still a candidate with an inkling of a chance going into next July, he'll get a detail with all the other candidates.

Someone is trying to make something out of nothing for the clicks, and I suspect it's RFK Jr. in this case.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2023, 01:54:05 AM »
A candidate with no real chance making up spurious claims for attention?  Say it ain’t so!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2023, 05:30:57 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2023, 07:41:51 AM »
The community note on that tweet says it all.  Candidates don't get SS protection this far out, and every rando that runs a campaign doesn't necessarily ever get one.

Immediate family of the sitting President does, pretty much always, get SS protection detail.  If he's still a candidate with an inkling of a chance going into next July, he'll get a detail with all the other candidates.

Someone is trying to make something out of nothing for the clicks, and I suspect it's RFK Jr. in this case.

I concede the point. The community note wasn't there when I first posted.

I will continue to argue that the establishment on both sides is out to kibosh all outsiders.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2023, 11:18:10 AM »
It's not about who you or me are voting for - it's about fairness for candidates across the political spectrum to be able to run.

OK, now I understand what you are trying to say.  That does make sense.

It is my understanding the political parties are literally private clubs, which they can run any way the members want, however.  They don't have to allow any sort of democracy in how they pick candidates and so on.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »
OK, now I understand what you are trying to say.  That does make sense.

It is my understanding the political parties are literally private clubs, which they can run any way the members want, however.  They don't have to allow any sort of democracy in how they pick candidates and so on.

It used to be literally a group of dudes in a smoke filled room.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2023, 03:50:29 PM »
Wasn't it Tammany Hall in NYC that was the epitome of the "smoke filled room"?  They would put the candidate they wanted out to run, then "told" the people to "vote" for that guy.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2023, 04:33:50 PM »
I will continue to argue that the establishment on both sides is out to kibosh all outsiders.  =)

100% agree. 

Now watch what happens if you suggest people should vote for a different party than the established ones.... >:D >:D

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2023, 09:28:46 PM »
Me, I'm pretty much just grooving on the number of folks who are blathering about "anyone but Trump," but not necessarily "anyone but Biden."
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2023, 08:33:15 AM »
Well, apparently there is some precedent for earlier SS coverage for candidates.

Donald Trump, 365 days prior
John McCain, 551 days prior
Barack Obama, 551 days prior

Behind a paywall, but there's a bunch more listed here:

https://twitchy.com/aaronwalker/2023/07/29/robert-kennedy-jr-denied-secret-service-protection-n2385820

120 days is apparently for spouses.

(7) Major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates and, within 120 days of the general Presidential election, the spouses of such candidates.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2023, 10:47:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/Trump_History45
Here is a great Twitter handle if you ever need good entertaining historical facts about Trump.   =)

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2023, 09:08:23 AM »
I would like to see some of images Trump signing a sane budget, refraining from publicly insulting conservatives, standing up for civil rights, firing Fauci and similar fantasies.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2023, 05:20:10 PM »
Brandon Herrera running for congress. Yes that Brandon Herrera

I’m Running For Congress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Csor5eA9Uo
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2023, 05:34:01 PM »
I would like to see some of images Trump signing a sane budget, refraining from publicly insulting conservatives, standing up for civil rights, firing Fauci and similar fantasies.
Trump is who he is at this point.  He is a mixed bag and isn't going to change.  His popularity is simply a result of how fed up a whole lot of people are. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2023, 07:58:34 PM »
You are right.  Trump is a charismatic populist; he isn't a solution.

He bears quite a bit of blame for the inflation we have been having, due to policies by his Fed appointees during his last year in office.  His supporters don't seem to realize this.  His first three years were mostly good, but his decisions during his final year were awful.

This inflation has made me much poorer than I was.  My salary moved from "ok" to "inadequate."   :-[

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2023, 09:39:52 PM »
but his decisions during his final year were awful.

I would say that a lot of his economic policies were bad the whole four years. Some stuff he did well, but like dems, he was a big proponent of "zero interest rates" when he should have been promoting small and well spaced interest rate hikes over his four years to slowly get us to a stable 3-4%.

Now we have the interest crazy train, which I actually don't mind as it has all the cash I have sitting on the sidelines earning decent interest. It's not good for the economy overall though. These guys only seem to know "slam on the brakes" and "floor it".

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2023, 10:40:29 PM »
Scientists race to understand highly mutated coronavirus variant spotted in four countries, including the US
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/18/health/coronavirus-variant/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2023-08-19T00%3A00%3A16&utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social

The 2024 election variant is coming around the corner. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2023, 07:40:24 AM »
I would say that a lot of his economic policies were bad the whole four years.
Based on my own pocketbook issues, I disagree. My 401(k) went up over 50% during Trump's 4 years in office, inflation was moderate, and my last gas fill-up two days before Brandon took office cost me $1.899/gallon. Trump's  tax cuts also let me keep more of my own money.

NO President during my lifetime was perfect - not even Reagan - since without exception, they spent too much at the Federal level. (This includes Trump.) And as for the corona virus - some stuff he did right, some he got wrong.

I sure as hell don't worship the ground Trump walks on, but I don't see ANY other serious POTUS contender over the past 2 decades (from either party) doing better with the Chinese virus.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 10:22:43 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2023, 10:53:52 AM »
I don't disagree that overall, he was better for the economy than most recent presidents. That zero percent interest stuff just grinds my gears though, and politicians from both parties (as well as some other first world countries (ref: Germany)) continually push it as an economic fix, which it is in the short term, but you pay for it down the road. Especially when you make the changes back to normal quickly instead of gradually.

Also, in what economy does anyone (or organization) want to loan out money at 1-3% interest? No to mention retired people should have an ultraconservative vehicle to stash cash with at least a 4% return.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2023, 11:46:31 AM »
The biggest Pro-DeSantis PAC was just suspended on twitter. The day of the first debate. Interestingly, the finger pointing seems to be more in the direction of pro-Trump entities than lefty entities.

https://twitchy.com/justmindy/2023/08/23/never-back-down-pro-desantis-pac-suspended-n2386514

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2023, 06:37:28 PM »
Interesting. Apparently the Biden and Harris team is upset that haircut is going to debate DeSantis. This is certainly another check in the "Newsom wants to run" box, and he doesn't seem to want to wait until/if Biden decides not to run.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-harris-advisers-irked-newsoms-plan-debate-desantis-disrespectful

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2023, 07:42:05 AM »
Did someone try to assassinate Kennedy Jr.?
And questions raised on why Kennedy Jr is still being denied secret service protection

I’m very grateful that alert and fast-acting protectors from Gavin de Becker and Associates (GDBA) spotted and detained an armed man who attempted to approach me at my Hispanic Heritage speech at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles tonight. The man, wearing two shoulder holsters with loaded pistols and spare ammunition magazines was carrying a U.S. Marshal badge on a lanyard and beltclip federal ID. He identified himself as a member of my security detail. Armed GDBA team members moved quickly to isolate and detain the man until LAPD arrived to make the arrest. I’m also grateful to LAPD for its rapid response.

I’m still entertaining a hope that President Biden will allow me Secret Service protection. I am the first presidential candidate in history to whom the White House has denied a request for protection.

But his story doesn't quite exactly mesh with the police report which said the man was arrested outside.

BREAKING: Assassination attempt on Robert F. Kennedy Jr.?
https://twitchy.com/aaronwalker/2023/09/16/was-someone-planning-to-kill-robert-kennedy-jr-n2387336

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2023, 09:43:21 AM »
Now we have Married SD Governor Kristi Noem and married Trump Advisor Corey Lewandowski in a supposedly multiyear affair.

So much for her national office aspirations, she was one of the names tossed around for Trump's VP candidate if he got the nomination. I wonder if she will step down or not run for governor again?

We all know the stories about VP Harris, but Noem states she is a conservative with strong family values.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536