Author Topic: The 2024 Circus  (Read 30160 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
The 2024 Circus
« on: January 06, 2023, 09:53:34 AM »
Send in the Clowns

Trump announced he running right?
Well here's John Bolton

John Bolton announces he WILL run for the White House in 2024 against former boss Donald Trump as he blasts the ex-president's 'terminal decline'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11606025/John-Bolton-announces-run-White-House-2024-against-former-boss-Donald-Trump.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: The 2024 Circus
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 09:55:27 AM »
What in the wide, wide world of sports makes Bolton think he has a chance in hell of winning the nomination?   :facepalm:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 10:01:16 AM »
What in the wide, wide world of sports makes Bolton think he has a chance in hell of winning the nomination?   :facepalm:
He figures considering who's POTUS and VICE-POTUS, anyone has a shot.

And then there's fundraising, which - if one is careful about crossing their T's and dotting their I's - can be personally very lucrative.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 10:02:42 AM »
He figures considering who's POTUS and VICE-POTUS, anyone has a shot.

And then there's fundraising, which - if one is careful about crossing their T's and dotting their I's - can be personally very lucrative.

That makes sense.  He's in it for personal gain, not actually being elected President.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 11:07:21 AM »
He's in it for personal gain, not actually being elected President.

Same thing was said about Trump early on, although I expect things will go quite differently for Bolton.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 12:27:42 AM »
Looks like Bolton was misquoted.

With the document leaks, I guess the deep state is showing Biden the door. Now we really have a circus.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 11:05:27 PM »
Anyone have an opinion of her?

South Carolina's Nikki Haley to launch 2024 presidential campaign, joining Trump in nomination hunt
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/south-carolinas-nikki-haley-launch-2024-presidential-campaign-joining-trump-nomination-hunt
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 11:35:19 PM »
Anyone have an opinion of her?

South Carolina's Nikki Haley to launch 2024 presidential campaign, joining Trump in nomination hunt
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/south-carolinas-nikki-haley-launch-2024-presidential-campaign-joining-trump-nomination-hunt

She was accused of adultry.  Probably bullshit but 🤷‍♂️.

I think some consider her a neo-con. 

Whether a neo-con or not she’s more likely to be hawkish on the Middle East/China than Trump or DeSantis.

I’d personally prefer her or DeSantis to Trump, only because Trump acts like such a buffoon (whether he really is a buffoon or not).  I loved the ultimate results of Trump, but as the world de-globalizes and we need to attract investment in re-shoring our industrial infrastructure, and negotiate trade deals with Japan, Mexico, UK, etc we need someone less buffoon-ish in the Oval Office.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 02:50:22 PM »
She was accused of adultry.  Probably bullshit but 🤷‍♂️.

I think some consider her a neo-con. 

Whether a neo-con or not she’s more likely to be hawkish on the Middle East/China than Trump or DeSantis.

I’d personally prefer her or DeSantis to Trump, only because Trump acts like such a buffoon (whether he really is a buffoon or not).  I loved the ultimate results of Trump, but as the world de-globalizes and we need to attract investment in re-shoring our industrial infrastructure, and negotiate trade deals with Japan, Mexico, UK, etc we need someone less buffoon-ish in the Oval Office.
Sounded to me like Trump did just fine in face to face meetings and negotiations.  Seems to me the people that he got into the crazy arguments with were domestic partisan politicians. 

Where Trump potentially bothers me is with who he will surround himself with in a 2nd term.  That will have as much effect on what ends up getting done than his own behavior.  It seems to me that he ended his 1st term with a worse team than he started with.

It will be interesting to see how this goes since few ran against Trump in the last election.  Maybe Jeb Bush will try again.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 03:11:41 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 03:20:12 PM »
Well, someone is a tad skeptical of Haley.

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2023/02/16/no-to-nikki-harris-n2619596

Schlichter is being pretty hard on her (That's what she said!), but I have to say that when I heard the announcement, I was pretty "meh". Maybe her time is not over, but I don't think 2024 is her time. She might do well in a VP slot, but it sounds like that's a hard no from her.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 04:38:42 PM »
In my opinion of the presumed and announced R nominees she is first or second depending on what DeSantis has done today. I don't know enough about her to vote for her today, but I would give her a fair listen and the chance to earn my vote. 

As for the theoretical adultery I don't really care.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 06:32:52 PM »
In my opinion of the presumed and announced R nominees she is first or second depending on what DeSantis has done today. I don't know enough about her to vote for her today, but I would give her a fair listen and the chance to earn my vote. 

As for the theoretical adultery I don't really care.

I guess that's only a "plus" item if you are a democrap.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 06:41:52 PM »
Not sure where else to put this. Just thought it was funny the way she goes after Don Lemon.  =D

https://youtu.be/5T1TLeIZ5mw

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 06:43:23 PM »
I guess that's only a "plus" item if you are a democrap.

Bonus points if they're trans
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 08:55:40 AM »
Well, according to some talking heads this morning, I am incorrect in the VP position being a hard no for Haley, and that she may in fact be positioning herself as a potential VP.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 04:30:56 PM »
She was a good governor. I wouldn’t have a problem with her as president
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 08:32:39 PM »
Biden draws first Democratic challenger for 2024 as Marianne Williamson confirms plans to launch bid
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-draws-first-democratic-challenger-2024-marianne-williamson-confirms-plans-launch-bid
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 10:06:18 PM »
So those currently in the race are Biden, President Trump, Williamson - all of whom ran in 2020. No.

The only thing we should repeat about 2020 is all the paid time off I got. Nothing else.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2023, 11:47:01 AM »
Just a rumor so far but [popcorn]

SCOOP: Former President Trump is strongly considering picking a female running mate.

Kari Lake, a former TV anchor who lost her race for Arizona governor in November, meets Trump's most important qualification for a No. 2.https://t.co/AKph9ePZ6z

— Axios (@axios) March 7, 2023
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/03/07/if-axios-sources-are-correct-trumps-purported-top-vp-pick-could-make-for-a-wild-2024-campaign/
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2023, 12:00:17 PM »
Lake was about as Trumpian as you can get, so little surprise that she’s at the top of the list.  Except she lost, but there’s also enough smoke to indicate some level of fraud fire in that election so she can claim it was stolen just like 2020.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2023, 12:22:20 PM »
He does need people on his team who will be motivated to fight the steal in key states if he wants to win.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 01:02:55 PM »
He does need people on his team who will be motivated to fight theto steal in key states if he wants to win.

FIFY

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2023, 01:41:43 PM »
I was surprised that Trump ran away with the "straw nomination" at CPAC.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2023, 01:45:06 PM »
I was surprised that Trump ran away with the "straw nomination" at CPAC TPAC.

FTFY

bob