Author Topic: Coyote Infestation in Massachusetts  (Read 581 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Coyote Infestation in Massachusetts
« on: January 06, 2023, 07:52:17 PM »
Officials React to Coyote Infestation in Massachusetts
https://www.ammoland.com/2023/01/officials-react-to-coyote-infestation-in-massachusetts/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

In 2022, the officials of Nahant, Massachusetts, started noticing they had a coyote problem. The coyotes had become so disdainful of people they had snatched, killed and eaten three pets directly from leashes. Numerous other pets were killed and eaten. No one knows precisely how many.

The Nahant town officials decided they needed to reduce the coyote population. They decided to hire federal agents from the Department of Agriculture. From cbsnews.com:

The town of Nahant will become the first community in Massachusetts to bring in trained marksmen to shoot and kill habituated coyotes. Town officials voted Wednesday night to enter into an agreement with the United States Department of Agriculture.

I had to look up this town.  It is almost an island, but the road access has enough room animals could cross (it appeared to me that way).

The towns coyote information page.
https://nahant.org/coyote-information/
Below is a map of hot spot areas that have been identified to the Town as areas where coyotes in a group have been observed. Please know that coyotes can travel quickly and far every day so they will not only be seen in these areas.
So this tells me they are pretty much all over town (the town isn't that big).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Coyote Infestation in Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 08:19:22 PM »
I used to have a friend with an apartment there. It's definitely the last place I'd expect that problem.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 08:49:28 PM »
Betcha a Really Smart Person imported a couple as pets.

Look at letters to the editor from a couple of years back.
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 09:02:54 PM »
I met a woman who ran a coyote sanctuary. Long story that involved transporting a coyote across four states … twice. Anyway, she had a “pet” coyote that she had raised from a pup. If you tried to touch him he would growl and put his teeth on your hand, but usually wouldn’t bite.

If that is the best an expert can do with a newborn pup, I’m guessing most people aren’t going to be able to handle a pet coyote.

From the smell of her house I’m fairly certain she never got him housebroken either.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 09:05:25 PM »
The coyotes have plenty of water, no danger from humans, no natural predators, and plenty of food provided by clueless humans, often in the form of pets.

Because ...

Trapping of coyotes using traditional leg-hold traps is very effective, given a skilled trapper. But Massachusetts banned the use of leg-hold traps in 1996. The ban was by initiative and passed with 54.7% of the vote. Massachusetts law prevents the hunting of coyotes, and trapping is only allowed by professionals.

[Gomer Pyle voice]Surprise, surprise, surprise[/Gomer Pyle voice]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 09:13:55 PM »
Wow, that many attacks in a town of only 640 acres?  Sounds like you could trip over a coyote if you weren't careful.

I believe Game Wardens have been used here in Colorado to thin out some noxious creatures (as opposed to tranquilizing and relocating them.)  I'm almost positive  that "Game Wardens" are fully commissioned peace officers here.  (I'm not sure of their official designation any more. Probably "Conservation and Earth Resource Guardian / Global Warming Watchdog")

There used to be a pretty good bounty for a pair of Coyote ears.  I'm not sure if it was paid by the Dept of Ag or by local Granges.Here's a pic of one farmer's coyote crusade.  Pic was semi-famous a decade or more ago, but...

WARNING:  Safe for work but not for delicate sensibilities.

https://www.varminter.com/forums/uploads/post-585-1173292782.jpg

« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 09:47:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 08:05:38 AM »
Betcha a Really Smart Person imported a couple as pets.

Look at letters to the editor from a couple of years back.
Given some of the quotes from one or two people who are against shooting them, I wouldn't be surprised if someone imported them and is actively feeding or providing shelter of some kind.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 01:24:09 PM »
Nahant (pronounced na-HUNT) is a high-income area.  Plenty of rich people who like to complain about things.  That spit of land sticks out right under the final approach path for 22L and 22R in BOS, but we generally aren't allowed to fly over Nahant because of noise.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 10:22:04 PM »
Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me.
Coyotes are opportunistic and have been moving eastward for decades.  With the void left by the eradication of the wolf population on the eastern seaboard over 100 years ago, 'yotes will "fill the void".  As they also scavenge a lot of their food, how many of them have been raiding trash dumps, pet food put out by well intended suburbanites that these vermin will raid?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 10:41:30 PM »
In Arizona they have their own rides

https://youtu.be/Vg9RL8dxCOc

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 03:43:49 PM »
In Arizona they have their own rides

https://youtu.be/Vg9RL8dxCOc

I have heard stories over the years of truckers hauling flatbeds that have seen/found coyotes on their trailers.  This way, they get to new areas with little expenditure of energy on their part.
They aren't called "Wile E. Coyote" for nothing !
  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 03:56:26 PM »
I have heard stories over the years of truckers hauling flatbeds that have seen/found coyotes on their trailers.  This way, they get to new areas with little expenditure of energy on their part.
They aren't called "Wile E. Coyote" for nothing !
  :rofl:
Super Genius!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PufFA8kDWFk
Have Brain, Will Travel