Author Topic: You find British armored Vehicles in the strangest places.....  (Read 270 times)

dogmush

• friend
You find British armored Vehicles in the strangest places.....
« on: February 13, 2023, 05:05:34 PM »
Mrs. Mush and I are on one of our camping/exploring trips.  Right now we are in TN hiking in the Appalachians looking at waterfalls, letting the pups run crazy, just having a neat time.  While hiking back in a hollow today we ran across an early 20th century ghost town.  It was apparently a whole town built and run by a Printer's union.  Hotel, Trade school, Apartments, creepy church, Sanitarium, the whole "company town" schtick, but for a union.  It was pretty cool in a "definitely haunted" kind of way.  It also had a bunch of abandoned vehicles on the property.  Mostly 60's and 70's stuff, but I saw an old bulldozer, three different vintage M35 Deuce and a half's, and an early 90's Mercury Cougar in the trees.

And these two things.  Which I'm pretty sure are a pair of British Ferret scout cars (or what's left of them) rotting away next to an abandoned printers trade school in the middle of Tennessee.  I wish I knew the story of how they got there.

Just thought I'd share my weird find of the day.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: You find British armored Vehicles in the strangest places.....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 05:27:23 PM »
Where. Is. This.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 05:32:29 PM »
Very cool! I love when stuff like that happens. I remember one time hiking in the Sierras and coming across some kind of old wagon bed or something, but with steel leaf springs.

Not nearly as unusual as your find. That's neat!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 05:45:50 PM »
I bet there's someone, somewhere, in the USA looking for some of those parts, rusty though they may be.

I wouldn't mind having that nameplate alone - cleaned up a little, it would look good hanging above my loading bench.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 07:13:57 PM »
That is nifty !  Colorado is loaded with ghost towns.  Wife1 and I found one on a trip back from Utah with a standing hotel, wide open, upstairs rooms and everything. We both couldn't help wondering what stories those rooms could tell.  My imagined stories were.... well, you know.

I bet there's someone, somewhere, in the USA looking for some of those parts, rusty though they may be.

I wouldn't mind having that nameplate alone - cleaned up a little, it would look good hanging above my loading bench.

Agreed, but I won't bid on it.

Abandoned vehicles are not uncommon, although usually they're so shot up they can hardly support rhemselves.  One up near Nederland CO seemed to have more bullet holes than that target ship in Chesapeake Bay.  Seemed like everybody wanted to know what their gun would do to a car.  Son2 and I took our own experimental shots. Preliminary results are that the window mechanism inside the doors deflect the bullets.  Last time we were up there it was gone, maybe for scrap steel, maybe for scrap lead.

Who knows?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 07:41:07 PM »
Where. Is. This.

Pressman's Home, Rogersville, TN.  We hiked in from the back side, but you can actually drive there off of state road 94.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 07:18:24 AM »
Interesting. Maybe surplussed from Canada?

Canada was apparently the only Western Hemisphere user of the Ferret.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.