Author Topic: Interesting home device on Woot...  (Read 935 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Interesting home device on Woot...
« on: January 07, 2023, 09:11:19 AM »
an Eyevac stationary vacuum.

Essentially, it's a unit that sits on your floor and you sweep stuff up to a port on it and it activates and draws it into a collection chamber.

Bunch of different units -- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=eyevac&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzeSdBhC4ARIsACj36uG5t-LVRfSu_PDX7KbPMqyV0knQ4PqOfIxJ9AhKe4Hu360dfCeA0xkaAtIVEALw_wcB&hvadid=616863247182&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1027243&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2359721273751386988&hvtargid=kwd-11162788915&hydadcr=26611_11715043&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_513r2nyb9w_e

That's to the Amazon page showing the different models.

I've been in homes that have central vac systems, and they're convenient as all get out. One home had a port in the toe kick space in the kitchen that was called an "automatic dustpan," essentially a hardwired device like the Eyevac.

I could see one of these as being VERY useful for my kitchen, front hall, and dining room, all of which have vinyl flooring.

The amount of dog hair from Seren, plus the kibble she strews about, plus the dirt we both drag in on our paws is monumental and is quite the pain in the butt to get up with a dustpan, and my regular  upright vacuum really doesn't do that great a job on hard floors.

I'm going to read up on these a bit more, but I'm seriously looking at possibly getting one.

Anyone have something like this?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Interesting home device on Woot...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 09:23:36 AM »
That seems really pricy for what it is. For that price you could get a standard vacuum cleaner (or 2), and just use it to vacuum up the piles you sweep up.

Friends of mine have a baseboard vacuum in the kitchen, as part of their central vac system. Pretty neat.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 09:33:14 AM »
Since you still need a broom you're already halfway there to this far cheaper solution.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 09:48:02 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 09:51:57 AM »
Without fully researching them, I'm not sure I see the value over something like a stick vacuum.

I have a cordless Shark that I keep by the porch door to (especially this time of year) vacuum up stuff Steve drags in. He's trained to "platz" on a carpet just inside the door, but he thinks it's funny to do a little circuit of the hardwood floor there before he sits on the carpet for me to wipe his paws. The cordless, while not super powerful, makes quick work of any of the dirt he tracks in, as well as his minimal shedding.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »
My barber has one. Looks to be just the thing for his situation.
We have vast areas of hardwood and tile floor with a few area rugs. A lightweight stick vac like the shark type make more sense for us.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 10:30:38 AM »
Boy, you guys clinging to your guns and vacuums...

Floor drain and hot water hosecock in each room.  There yuh go.  Ayup.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 11:05:37 AM »

This is the way!   =D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 11:12:32 AM »

I'd suggest this to my wife, but I don't think would want to give up the nice hardwood floors through most of our house.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 01:04:13 PM »
That seems really pricy for what it is. For that price you could get a standard vacuum cleaner (or 2), and just use it to vacuum up the piles you sweep up.

Friends of mine have a baseboard vacuum in the kitchen, as part of their central vac system. Pretty neat.

I have two vacuum cleaners. As I said, they don't do a good job on hard floors.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 01:05:26 PM »
Since you still need a broom you're already halfway there to this far cheaper solution.

Try reading my first post again and you'll see why a dustpan is a less than satisfactory "solution."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 01:12:12 PM »
Without fully researching them, I'm not sure I see the value over something like a stick vacuum.

I have a cordless Shark that I keep by the porch door to (especially this time of year) vacuum up stuff Steve drags in. He's trained to "platz" on a carpet just inside the door, but he thinks it's funny to do a little circuit of the hardwood floor there before he sits on the carpet for me to wipe his paws. The cordless, while not super powerful, makes quick work of any of the dirt he tracks in, as well as his minimal shedding.

Compared to Seren, Steve doesn't shed. At all.

I had a stick vacuum for some years. Stick vacuums are fine, but they require somewhere to be stored, and I'm kind of shy on storage space, unfortunately. Even worse, most stick vacuums have the dirt capacity of about a thimble.

My stick vac was fine for when I had Ruger and then Nikky. When I got Mason, my first Leo, thought? The stick vacuum was beyond useless.

During the shedding season, especially in spring, I'd move it forward a foot or two, then have to stop and disassemble it to empty it out. Sweeping what little hard floor area I have would, in the spring, literally require up to a DOZEN dirt cup (thimble?) dumps.

And I could do that every day and still not be able to keep up with it.

I've actually looked into putting in a whole house vac system with as large a catchment system as possible, but it's simply not worth the $1000 plus for the machine on top of the $1000 or more for installation.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 01:13:33 PM »

Remind me to tell you what I have to do to deal with Seren's fur in the shower.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 01:21:02 PM »
We have a couple of the 980 model Roomba vacuums.  My wife runs those over the floors on an almost daily basis.  It was the only way to keep up with the metric ton of hair shedding from two dogs plus whatever dirt we humans would track in.  They do quite a decent job of picking up dog hair, and they put themselves away.
We do a normal sweep down and vacuuming on Saturday, our main household chores day.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 01:27:33 PM »
You ought to see the various posts from Leo owners about how "effective" their Roombas are.

One burned out three Roombas (or similar) in less than 6 months before she gave up and went back to traditional methods.

No Leo owner has anything useful to say about those kinds of vacs because they are even LESS capable of handling the huge amounts of long, fine fur that Leos produce than are stick vacuums.

In general, they fill up quickly, the self emptying ones generally won't self empty because the fur simply won't drop out, the "pet Roombas (or similar)" are $500 to well over $1,000, and the fur quickly clogs the roller brush to the point of absolutely uselessness.

That last thing, about the roller brush, is also a serious problem with upright vacuums like the two I have.

Several times a month I have to disassemble my vacuums and clean the roller of all of the fur that has wrapped around it to the point of making it smooth.

Unfortunately I can't find a picture of the last time I cleaned the roller. The amount of fur that came out of it was monumental.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 01:34:10 PM »
Large amounts of long fur versus the copious quantities of shorter fur our dogs shed.  I can see where a Roomba would have difficulty with that.  I suspect the longer fur was getting tangled up in the Roomba's rollers, leading to their early demise.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2023, 02:52:01 PM »

I have two vacuum cleaners. As I said, they don't do a good job on hard floors.

I meant you could use it somewhat like a stationary vac. Sweep stuff toward the vacuum until you have a pile, then use it like a canister vac (if yours swings that way) to hoover up the pile.

Or by a cheap canister vac.

But our lab mix sheds just enough that I know you have to do whatever it takes. Pet hair is no joke.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2023, 04:06:33 PM »
My wife bought herself a (standard) Roomba for Christmas.
We have two large dogs, a black lab and an Australian Shepard.
It's kind of funny.

I had to show her how to take it apart this afternoon to get all the dog hair out of the rollers. and our of the wheel axles.

Oh well, what ever makes her happy  :rofl: .
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 08:32:22 PM »
I meant you could use it somewhat like a stationary vac. Sweep stuff toward the vacuum until you have a pile, then use it like a canister vac (if yours swings that way) to hoover up the pile.

Or by a cheap canister vac.

But our lab mix sheds just enough that I know you have to do whatever it takes. Pet hair is no joke.

Actually, that's not a terrible idea...

But I'd not do that with my upright vac...

I have a 2.5 gallon shop vac that might very well do a very good job at something like that.

But, the attraction of the Eyevac is that it can sit against the wall, out of the way, at all times.

Gotta give this some more thought.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2023, 09:59:46 PM »

Several times a month I have to disassemble my vacuums and clean the roller of all of the fur that has wrapped around it to the point of making it smooth.

Unfortunately I can't find a picture of the last time I cleaned the roller. The amount of fur that came out of it was monumental.

Hairbrush image pops into mind.

I used to vacuum my cats with a DustBuster.  They loved it.  Did it once in the park across the street, holding the cat upright in left hand, two fingers under her front paws, and running the DustBuster up and down her bod and tail.  This was in a mobile home park and some lady saw me and came running over to "save" the kitty (long haired calico).  When she was apprised of the situation, she thought it was pretty funny.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 07:58:08 AM »
Yeah, it's a lot like a hair brush and long hair...

Except with the rotary brush on the vac, Seren's fur actually ties so tightly around the roller that I have to use a variety of tools -- tweezers, forceps, screwdrivers, knives, to cut it loose and pull it out.

Cleaning the brush usually takes an hour or more.

One thing I've started doing on the carpets, though, is going over them with a rubber squeegee broom. Got the idea from where I take Seren for day care.

The rubber blade essentially peels the fur away from the carpet and rolls it into little logs that I can then pick up and toss.

It's time consuming, it's annoying, but overall it gets the carpets a lot more fur free and it cuts down on how often I have to disassemble the uprights. 

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2023, 10:21:12 AM »
One small shorthair cat doesn’t leave a lot of fur around.
When we had golden retrievers that was a different story. They would shed bushels of soft silky hair twice a year. Easy to sweep up or would clog an upright vac as you describe.
Our labs seemed to shed year round but worse in the spring. And the hair didn’t sweep worth a darn. It would roll under a broom.
I want another dog when I retire. My wife doesn’t agree. Not sure who will win this one.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 02:28:41 PM »
We used to live in a carpeted home, with a dog who had short-ish fur. I spent something around $200 on a vacuum cleaner that was supposed to be especially made for pet hair. (A huge purchase for us, at the time.) It made a big difference. Still had to remove the rolling brush-thingy from the vac every month or so, and use a box-cutter on the mat of fur and wife-hair that would accumulate.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2023, 02:51:23 PM »
One thing I've started doing on the carpets, though, is going over them with a rubber squeegee broom. Got the idea from where I take Seren for day care.

The rubber blade essentially peels the fur away from the carpet and rolls it into little logs that I can then pick up and toss.

It's time consuming, it's annoying, but overall it gets the carpets a lot more fur free and it cuts down on how often I have to disassemble the uprights.

Your rubber blade reminds me of the rubber grooming mitts we use on Rocket, and used to use on Maria before she passed.  They remove shedding fur very nicely, and the removed fur does not fall on the deck.  We pick it off the mitt and drop it in the trash.  Very handy, and the dogs like the back rub they get when we use them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 02:55:24 PM »
Those mitts really don't do much of anything for a dog with a coat as thick and long as a Leonberger's. Yeah, you get a bunch of fur off, but it's all surface fur, which is only about 20% of the total shedding load for a dog like Seren. Everything else is undercoat, and it's never ending.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 08:55:31 AM »
Just purchased one of the EyeVac Pet models.

Should be here in a week or so.

We're just now starting the annual Furrening... in which Seren molts her winter coat and MASSIVE amounts of fur accumulate in the house.