Author Topic: Tool backpacks?  (Read 525 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Tool backpacks?
« on: January 08, 2023, 05:32:24 PM »
I'm interested in trying out a backpack-style tool bag, but even the lower-priced ones are not cheap, by my standards. Recommendations or tips may help, if you please. Has anyone here used one?

I don't have to use tools at work everyday, like I used to, but I just like having a toolbag in the truck. I think a backpack would fit really well behind the passenger seat.

This one seems like the closest to what I think would work, but not too pricey: Southwire

I like the fact it has tool pockets on both sides of the main compartment, and that rigid, rubber base. I've seen it for as low as $60.

I like that this one has a pull-out tool caddy, but that's about the only thing I like about it: Ryobi

At $90, I also like this Klein, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $30.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Tool backpacks?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 07:22:19 PM »
USGI duffel bag, upend and dump at the job site.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 08:46:02 PM »
What kind of tools?  What I might carry as a computer tech would be different from what an electrician would carry, vs. etc. etc.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 09:25:17 PM »
Tool backpacks work well. I used to keep electrical, plumbing, and general fix it bags packed out of old school backpacks.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »
I keep my truck tools in a small tool bag.

When my dad retired as an electrician 13 years ago he gave me a bunch of Klein Canvas Tool bags.

Klein makes good stuff.

This is the bag in my truck.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/canvas-tool-bags/canvas-tool-bag-16-inch#Specifications

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 09:51:38 PM »
China Fright has some decent two-handle toobox bags. I've got a few for stuff that I keep separate.

I like hard-sided boxes, preferably with drawers. That I don't remove from my van.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 11:16:44 PM »
What kind of tools?  What I might carry as a computer tech would be different from what an electrician would carry, vs. etc. etc.

Tools: screwdrivers, pliers, wire strippers, screw gun, 12V drill & bits, zip ties, box of screws/bolts/nuts/washers, file, hammer, PPE, measuring tape, folding saw, utility knife, various kinds of tape, level - ya know, tools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 11:06:44 AM »
My initial reaction was "ouch" but I'm coming at it from a dual sport motorcyclist thinking of 10 pounds of steel tools in a backpack while riding.

But even as a "stuff it behind the pickup seat" kind of container, I still think a backpack is an inefficient way of storing or transporting tools.

Have you considered a tool roll instead, along with an inexpensive duffel bag?  I sure do dig my tool rolls I have for my bikes.  Nothing clanks around, convenient package, and the roll itself makes for a decent place to lay out nuts and bolts or screws as I'm disassembling something.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 12:54:38 PM »
I still think a backpack is an inefficient way of storing or transporting tools.
A backpack's benefit is not in tool storage but in getting the tools from the truck to the job site and back.  It's not unusual to need to carry other stuff when you need your tools, and if you've got a hand taken up carrying each tool bag, roll, or box you've got fewer hands available for non-tool stuff.

I've considered a backpack for some tools as well for similar reasons as fistful but haven't gotten one yet.

Have you considered a tool roll instead, along with an inexpensive duffel bag?
A tool roll could be a good addition to a backpack, but I'm not sure a duffel in place of a backpack offers much benefit.  Certainly a duffel isn't as easy to carry.  There might be something to be said for testing the concept with a Goodwill backpack at a low cost, but the dedicated tool backpacks usually have some specific features that make them preferable in the long run (hard bottoms, water repellent, more and better pockets and loops, etc).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 01:38:47 PM »
I have other bags and boxes, but I'm interested in a backpack because it seems like it would be the right size and shape to slip easily into and out of the back of that space behind the seat of my standard-cab truck. Also, I think it might be easier to carry around than what I'm using now.

I was hoping some of you might have tried that kind of tool bag before, but maybe not so much.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 05:38:27 PM »
If I were to look for one, I'd go down to the farm store and check them out.

The tool backpacks don't strike me as anything you'd pack very far.   And, they all have big carry handles.  You might wear one on your back if you had to climb to somewhere.

Look for size, look for lots of pockets and compartments.  Laptop pocket if that's needed.  Look for heavy material. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 08:19:20 PM »
If you are hauling your tools around all day from job to job Veto makes the best. They're spendy though.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 10:06:43 AM »
Yeah, the Veto bags look like they are definitely the big name in this category. Way more than I am going to spend, though.