Author Topic: Does voting matter?  (Read 601 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Does voting matter?
« on: January 08, 2023, 09:49:25 PM »
In your opinion, does voting matter?  Why or why not?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Does voting matter?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 10:09:26 PM »
Yes, because we had a lot of local races this year won by less than 25 votes, even after a recount.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 10:18:03 PM »
On the local level absolutely. On the national? I don't know anymore.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 10:19:52 PM »
Yes, because we had a lot of local races this year won by less than 25 votes, even after a recount.
If a race won on a margin of 25 votes means your vote matters then why not a race won on 25,000 votes, or 25,000,000?  In any case no individual vote changed the outcome, only a group of votes did.

Does any one vote matter?  Almost never.
Does voting effect change?  Sometimes.
Does voting matter?  Absolutely, because the illusion of power provided by voting encourages buy-in from the populace and reduces the likelihood of violent regime change.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 11:01:10 PM »
Yes.  Partly because if it doesn't then the options for how to preserve freedom dwindle down to one. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 04:49:36 AM »
Sure as hell doesn’t seem like it does, especially when nothing seems to change no matter who gets voted in, we the taxpayer and normal, everyday citizens just get screwed in new and interesting ways, especially by the “reach across the aisle” mentality that suddenly arises when our favored party gets put in charge.

One of the major issues concerning this is that corruption starts at the low level government employee level and massively increases when you get to the elected level. There is nothing “right” or good at any level of government.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 08:53:39 AM »
Yes, it matters.  If it didn't then congress critters wouldn't spend millions of dollars campaigning for a job that pays thousands.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 09:06:12 AM »
Yes, it matters.  If it didn't then congress critters wouldn't spend millions of dollars campaigning for a job that pays thousands.

They care about voting because that’s the path to that sweet lobbyist money. That’s the only way voting matters.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 09:25:17 AM »
Yeah.

But the votes of apathetic, unintelligent, ignorant parasites count the same as those who are not.

This is why I support limited franchise.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 10:51:44 AM »
Yeah, a few problems mentioned above and some more.

1.  Many ignore or pay little attention to local elections.  Often the corruption at the federal level starts at the local level or at least the local level is where people are recruited to run for higher office.  This includes local party officials and campaign workers.
     1a.  Some areas have seen this change a little with school board elections since the trans activist stuff has pissed off a lot of people.  Not sure if that will last.

1b.  People are far too willing to vote for incumbents when they should be the least trusted candidate.

2.  Normal working people often don't want to dedicate the time to run for office and/or hold office (locally or otherwise).  I wonder if we would be better off simply drafting people to hold office.  Maybe draft a handful of people and then vote for the best of the group.

3.  Campaign finance laws are nearly all designed to make it easier for incumbents to win reelection and make it harder and costlier to challenge them.  Unregulated money in elections is not a bad thing as long as it is above board and out in the open to see.  The bureaucracy of campaign finance laws makes it more difficult to track money and produces loopholes to hide it and profit from it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 11:14:41 AM »
It doesn't matter if it matters or not.

It's immoral because there's no opt-out of the consequences for those that don't agree to the terms.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 12:02:59 PM »
Yes I vote but sometimes I feel like my only choices are between the blue Dodge and the red Dodge
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:39:44 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 03:29:12 PM »
Yes I vote but sometimes I feel like my only choices are between the blue Dodge and the red Dodge

If you vote for the purple Dodge you are throwing away your vote.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 08:10:46 PM »
If we all keep voting it makes them have to work that much harder to steal elections.

The early voting, mail in absentee voting and totally corrupted electronic voting machines are all in response to voters not voting the way the narrative crafters want.

My suspicion is most major state and fed races are rigged to one degree or another.

If someone chooses not to vote I don't blame them. I've pretty much become uninvested emotionally from the whole system myself. It's not salvageable IMHO. I may opt out of voting sometime soon. I've been threatening it for several election cycles, but always break down at the last moment and vote for my losers over their losers.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 12:32:42 PM »
If a race won on a margin of 25 votes means your vote matters then why not a race won on 25,000 votes, or 25,000,000?  In any case no individual vote changed the outcome, only a group of votes did.

Does any one vote matter?  Almost never.
Does voting effect change?  Sometimes.
Does voting matter?  Absolutely, because the illusion of power provided by voting encourages buy-in from the populace and reduces the likelihood of violent regime change.

I think anytime actual vote totals elect a candidate or pass/fail ballot issue it matters. If everyone eligible for voting actually voted, one would think the elected offical's actions would reflect the ideas of the folks who voted for them, and if it was close, the candidate may pander a bit to the minority to be reelected next time.

Presidental race, nope due to the electoral college. It's easy to predict which states are blue and which are read. If we went to a popular vote for president, probably never be another GOP president.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536