Author Topic: F1TV  (Read 697 times)

sumpnz

• friend
F1TV
« on: January 08, 2023, 10:24:59 PM »
Anyone here subscribe to F1TV?  Didn’t bother for previous seasons of F1 as my internet connection sucked so bad.  But now that I have Starlink I thought it was worth considering.  I’d heard the service wasn’t very good initially, assuming that’s true has it improved?  Is it worth the $80/year?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: F1TV
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 07:54:37 AM »
I've not heard of it. Is it racing television, i.e., Formula 1?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 09:03:18 AM »
I just got it last year because our internet finally caught up to modern times.  It was part of a quest to cut back on the ridiculously expensive Direct TV.  I like it.  The only thing you give up is their version of the pre-race show.  You still get pre-race, just different presenters.  Everything else is better.  You still get all the practice plus qualifying, plus some extras like tech stuff that I like.  You can also switch between the show and in car cameras and have the choice between the international presenters or the ones that show up on Direct TV.  The only downside, and it's a small nitpick, is to go back and watch something you missed, say qualifying that happened yesterday, can be a little clunky.  But overall, I'm very happy with it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 10:42:42 AM »
We would say so. I looked to see and if I VPN’d to Britain Sky TV would cost at least thirty a month. I prefer their coverage because the presenters are knowledgeable. Currently I plan on continuation of plan A which is find some euro sports betting site that has lots of pirated streams.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 01:16:44 PM »
They’re running 20% off first year subscription.  Went ahead and got it.  Watching practice sessions and it seems quite good.  Much more stable that ESPN+.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 04:45:31 PM »
When they were building a Formula 1 track just outside Austin, TX several years ago, I got an up-close look at a Formula 1 car and met its driver, doing a promotion at a local mall. I learned from that experience that Formula 1 racing involves itty-bitty cars driven at very high speeds by midgets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 04:47:17 PM »
When they were building a Formula 1 track just outside Austin, TX several years ago, I got an up-close look at a Formula 1 car and met its driver, doing a promotion at a local mall. I learned from that experience that Formula 1 racing involves itty-bitty cars driven at very high speeds by midgets.

Do you remember which driver?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 04:58:57 PM »
Do you remember which driver?
Nope. All I remember is that he barely came up to my shoulder and was skinny as a rail. I also remember thinking that if I stuck my foot in the cockpit of the car, there wouldn't be room for much else. (OK, I suppose that's a bit of an exaggeration . . . but only a bit.   ;)  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 05:24:21 PM »
I had a chance to get up close with an Indy Car probably 20ish years ago.  I wasn’t quite as fat back then, probably still under 200lbs (6’ tall).  My hip bones jammed into the sides of the cockpit when I climbed in with my butt still a few inches from the floor.  Even had I still been 150lbs I doubt I’d have been able to get in much better.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 11:50:01 AM »
Alonso right now:
AKA Navy Joe   

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 01:11:09 PM »
Just about.  Passed Hamilton on track, that's saying something.

By the way, that cartoon guy looks like a grown up Bobby Hill.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 01:40:16 PM »
I had a chance to get up close with an Indy Car probably 20ish years ago.  I wasn’t quite as fat back then, probably still under 200lbs (6’ tall).  My hip bones jammed into the sides of the cockpit when I climbed in with my butt still a few inches from the floor.  Even had I still been 150lbs I doubt I’d have been able to get in much better.

The midget thing is like the test riders they use when doing the specs for new motorcycles. They use midgets that weigh about 98 pounds so they can get the faster times to publish.

You too can live like a Duke (not quite a King) at the new Las Vegas F1 race. The Bellagio is building bleachers on the lake, just bring a FAT wallet.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a41936332/f1-las-vegas-grand-prix-bellagio-fountains/

bob

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 04:16:35 PM »
I squeezed into a Formula Ford for a few laps once. You WEAR the car. Without the belts even on, you could have taken that car with me in it, turned it upside-down and shaken it and I wouldn't have fallen out!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2023, 08:34:27 PM »
The midget thing is like the test riders they use when doing the specs for new motorcycles. They use midgets that weigh about 98 pounds so they can get the faster times to publish.

You too can live like a Duke (not quite a King) at the new Las Vegas F1 race. The Bellagio is building bleachers on the lake, just bring a FAT wallet.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a41936332/f1-las-vegas-grand-prix-bellagio-fountains/

bob

Several years ago I looked into going to the race in Austin.  It would have been cheaper for me to go to the race Budapest.  No joke.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 03:48:52 AM »
I thought I had seen it all when some regional top tier sprint car race took 5 red flags, a fuel stop and a single file start to finally put lap one in the record books, but that little crapfest in Australia takes the cake.
AKA Navy Joe   

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 10:59:46 AM »
That was ugly.  Sorta like NASCAR's all or nothing last laps but ten times more expensive.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2023, 06:17:29 PM »
That was ugly.  Sorta like NASCAR's all or nothing last laps but ten times more expensive.

Should have bought stock in carbon fiber.
AKA Navy Joe   

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2023, 07:03:26 PM »
New grid girls:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 11:23:51 PM »
Damn!

No way I'm winning that race, I'd finish in 4th place on purpose!