Author Topic: About cars  (Read 1107 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
About cars
« on: January 09, 2023, 04:34:58 PM »
AND NOW A WORD ON TRENDS SEEN IN CAR COMMERCIALS (broughttoyoubyPfizer)

A few years ago, this reporter noticed that ads for pickup trucks were not really about the trucks anymore. They were just ads for their new, go-go-Gadget tailgates. Horsepower? Towing capacity? Safety features? Sound system? Don’t know about any of that, but the tailgate comes with a corkscrew and tweezers, plus a pull-out barber’s chair for those on-site hair-care situations. Reminds me of that line from the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – “Dancing is all about butts now!”

But that’s in the past. Now every ad for cars and trucks tells you exactly one thing – it’s electric! Boogie-woogie-woogie  No idea how many people the car will hold, or if it comes with backup camera or side-cushion airbags or a self-cleaning shake machine, but did we mention it’s electric? Come on! What more do ya want? Be reasonable.

Before last year, it had been around 15 years since I had a full-size pickup. Until I started shopping the used pickup market, I was totally unaware that the once-standard 2-seater cab had become a curiosity (don’t even think about a bench seat, you fossil), and if you wanted the usual 8’ bed, it was now a “long bed” – so rare it’s practically an exotic. OK, I exaggerate, but I just wasn’t aware how much those 4-door SUV trucks with vestigial cargo boxes had taken over the pickup truck market.

And in related news, or should I say opinion?

To nose-in:

https://thefederalist.com/2023/01/06/for-the-love-of-all-that-is-holy-stop-backing-into-parking-spaces/

Or not to nose-in:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/car-reversing-calumny-from-mark-hemingway/

I agree with Mr. Abel, and contra Hemingway, I ain’t never had me no back-up camera. I prefer a pull-through spot, but aside from that I mostly back-in. Not sure why those of us who nose-out have to explain ourselves. People seem to presume that what most people do is “the right way,” and us weirdos owe them an explanation. Well I don’t like waiting for people to take three tries backing out of a parking spot any more than people like to wait for me to back in, so…
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: About cars
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 06:46:13 PM »
I both work in the auto industry and follow it closely.  The best answer I have is that even the most basic new trucks have far more towing capability and features than most people will ever need.  Same with cars, perhaps minus the towing capability. So, they focus on the minor details that can make them stand out from other models.

It's sort of like how computer manufacturers stopped touting processor speeds years ago to the general public.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 06:55:18 PM »
Back Up camera's are required now.  You can assume it has one.  Now get back to the electric drivetrain.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 07:40:42 PM »
As long as those "most people" don't buy a moderately large trailer to tow...

If I scored the winning lotto ticket, which is what it would take, I'd be living in a 30' Airstream, and the tow vehicle would be a single-rear-axle Volvo with a lift for either a side-by-side or a Smart Car over the back axle.

I _do_ have some customers who have one-ton duallies... And one guy with a dually F450 who does less than load with a big covered wagon flatbed... But those are DIESEL.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 09:41:15 PM »
Before last year, it had been around 15 years since I had a full-size pickup. Until I started shopping the used pickup market, I was totally unaware that the once-standard 2-seater cab had become a curiosity (don’t even think about a bench seat, you fossil), and if you wanted the usual 8’ bed, it was now a “long bed” – so rare it’s practically an exotic. OK, I exaggerate, but I just wasn’t aware how much those 4-door SUV trucks with vestigial cargo boxes had taken over the pickup truck market.

When my 2001 pickup crapped out and it would cost more than it was worth to fix, I scrapped it and started looking for a replacement.  Took me 2 years to find a plain old 2-door pickup with an 8-foot bed.  They don't make 'em anymore except as a special order.  And the farmers, construction, and oilfield service companies who order them them never trade them in.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 09:48:14 PM »
I kind of regret selling my 1983 Chevy long bed in 2014. My late uncle gave it to me in non-running condition a few months before he passed. It put a big smile on his face to see me drive it before he died. It only had a 65K miles on it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 08:50:21 AM »
I see a lot of long bed trucks where I am, but a lot of them are older or work trucks.  I have a small pickup now with a short bed because it fits what I need.  They generally have much better visibility in traffic also (there are more cars that sit high these days).

I live in a small town/city.  I don't need an 8 foot bed.  I like the utility of a pickup, but the 4 to 6 foot bed is plenty for large appliances and hauling the stuff I need.  A few times I had to buy a few 8 foot pieces of wood and they just hung out the back. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 08:55:33 AM »
"A few years ago, this reporter noticed that ads for pickup trucks were not really about the trucks anymore."

I'm not sure why he's so surprised.

It's actually pretty rare that the focus of automotive advertising has ever been about, well, the auto.

Sure, there's always been some focus on features, especially with new models, but by and large, car advertising has always been about selling a lifestyle.

More power! Freedom of the open road! Amazing comfort! Grand luxury! Fantastic economy! Family vacations! The freedom to move to the suburbs! Safety! Style! Panache! Convenience! Affordability!

I've read a huge number "car ads" over the years in which, if you covered up the picture of the car, you'd be kind of hard pressed to tell exactly what product is for sale. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 01:57:49 PM »
"A few years ago, this reporter noticed that ads for pickup trucks were not really about the trucks anymore."

I'm not sure why he's so surprised.

It's actually pretty rare that the focus of automotive advertising has ever been about, well, the auto.

Sure, there's always been some focus on features, especially with new models, but by and large, car advertising has always been about selling a lifestyle.

More power! Freedom of the open road! Amazing comfort! Grand luxury! Fantastic economy! Family vacations! The freedom to move to the suburbs! Safety! Style! Panache! Convenience! Affordability!

I've read a huge number "car ads" over the years in which, if you covered up the picture of the car, you'd be kind of hard pressed to tell exactly what product is for sale.
It isn't uncommon to see a car ad that doesn't even mention the brand by name.  I recall Superbowl ads that did that.  I think the logo was visible.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 11:47:10 AM »
I love the new tech in vehicles and the backup camera is the second greatest invention, the first being remote start.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 11:52:40 AM »
I love the new tech in vehicles and the backup camera is the second greatest invention, the first being remote start.

I agree, but the other day I was at the Subaru dealership and saw a new Outback start up and saw the headlights actuate and my first thought was man that?s got to be expensive when it fails.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 12:08:06 PM »
"saw a new Outback start up and saw the headlights actuate"

Actuate? Huh?

"I love the new tech in vehicles and the backup camera is the second greatest invention, the first being remote start."

I have a 2015 Subaru Forester and it has the first backup camera I've ever had in a vehicle. The only problem with it is that the screen is pretty small and it doesn't have a lot of peripheral vision, so I still rely primarily on my mirrors and a good old head on a swivel.

When I had the clutch replaced last year I drove a brand spanking new Outback (or Forester, can't remember) and the back up camera on that one was fantastic. The screen was huge and it had incredible peripheral vision.

The only vehicle I've ever had with remote start was a loaner jeep when my 2012 Forester was in the body shop.

It was... nice... I guess, but certainly not something I'd require on a new car.

I can't get an auto start on my current Forester because, well, manual transmission.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 01:10:38 PM »

I have a 2015 Subaru Forester and it has the first backup camera I've ever had in a vehicle. The only problem with it is that the screen is pretty small and it doesn't have a lot of peripheral vision, so I still rely primarily on my mirrors and a good old head on a swivel.

It took me a while to get used to the backup cameras on my vehicles, and I still find myself looking over my shoulder on occasion, but otherwise, when you have your "approach lines" dialed in, it sure makes it a lot easier to get out of crowded parking lots, especially if the spaces are tiny and you have a big vehicle.

One downside that I have found in snowy climates and country roads, is that the camera lens can get too dirty to see anything. I always have to try and remember to clean it off once in a while after snow melts and the roads turn dirty.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 01:39:53 PM »
I have to wipe the lens on mine when it rains.

Last summer I got into the car early one morning, looked in the camera, and there was big ass spider on the screen. For a second I thought it was inside.

Got out and took a look and it was a spider maybe half the size of a dime had built a web and was suspended over the lens.

I left her alone.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 04:27:07 PM »
"saw a new Outback start up and saw the headlights actuate"

Actuate? Huh?

"I love the new tech in vehicles and the backup camera is the second greatest invention, the first being remote start."

When I had the clutch replaced last year I drove a brand spanking new Outback (or Forester, can't remember) and the back up camera on that one was fantastic. The screen was huge and it had incredible peripheral vision.

The only vehicle I've ever had with remote start was a loaner jeep when my 2012 Forester was in the body shop.

It was... nice... I guess, but certainly not something I'd require on a new car.

I can't get an auto start on my current Forester because, well, manual transmission.

Yep, the service tech said they move up and down and side to side.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 04:46:43 PM »
"Yep, the service tech said they move up and down and side to side."

Huh. Missed that new feature. Interesting.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 05:04:04 PM »
"Yep, the service tech said they move up and down and side to side."

Huh. Missed that new feature. Interesting.

Follows your steering.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 05:47:43 PM »
Follows your steering.

Yep, I know Mercedes has had that for awhile...

But Tucker had it in the 1940s.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 09:52:19 AM »
Marketing is driven by trends. This reminds me of cars in the 80s that had big badges in the side telling you they are *fuel injected*. That only lasted a year or two until everything was fuel injected and it wasn't cool anymore.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 10:16:12 AM »
I've been kinda struck by how little rearward visibility newer SUV's have.  I have a late 90's CRV, and recently drove a newish one - you can't see anything out the back of the new one. 
I've never felt any need for a camera in my old CRV, but the new one certainly needs it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 10:26:28 AM »
The absolute worst car I've ever had for rear visibility was my 2006 Outback.

The headrests were absolutely HUGE and blocked all ability to see if I turned my head over my left shoulder, and compared to my 1998 Outback, the 2006 had maybe 40% view range if I turned my head over my right shoulder.

It was absolutely awful.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 11:22:10 AM »
I've been kinda struck by how little rearward visibility newer SUV's have.  I have a late 90's CRV, and recently drove a newish one - you can't see anything out the back of the new one. 
I've never felt any need for a camera in my old CRV, but the new one certainly needs it.

I noticed that when shopping used SUV/crossovers last year. I assume it has a lot do with back-up and lane-change cameras. We ended up buying a first-gen Highlander that has a downright panoramic view. But no cameras.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 02:20:17 PM »
Error post
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 02:21:48 PM »
Yep, I know Mercedes has had that for awhile...

But Tucker had it in the 1940s.
About 15 years ago I drove a rental - IIRC a Volvo - with steerable headlamps. Made funny noises when they moved. Gave me an idea for steerable headlamps with no moving parts, but I couldn't interest my company's management in it, even though they had a LOT of automotive product business.  =(

Back in college another student had a car with separate bulbs for high beams - he replaced his high beams with aircraft landing lights - THAT was impressive illumination.

I talked to him a little and it's a good thing he was an EE major - I don't remember all details, but it wasn't a simple matter of taking out the old lights and putting in the aircraft lights - the ones he chose were not only a bit bigger, but he had to put together a power supply and somehow integrate it into the car, so it turned out to be a bigger project than he thought when he began.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 02:46:37 PM »
My T-Bird had 4 headlights and i replaced and rewired them using H4 200w Hi/Low beam lamps. I had them switched so they worked "normally" with 2 on on low beam and 4 on on high beam. What I added was a switch so I also had al 4 on low beam at the same time. Someone would flash me for having all 4 on, looking like high Beams, Until I stomped the dimmer and all 4 went onto High Beam!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!