Author Topic: The Last of Us on HBO...  (Read 180 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The Last of Us on HBO...
« on: January 16, 2023, 01:57:34 PM »
Anyone watch the premier last night?

It was really good, but some areas were quite confusing in trying to slot into the general overall plot.

It's based on a very well reviewed and wildly popular game for the Sony Play Station. Unfortunately it's never been ported over to Xbox, but that's neither here nor there.

In a lot of ways it reminded me strongly of The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead the way some of the plot lines developed. I think it has a lot of potential so I'm going to keep watching.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Last of Us on HBO...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 03:04:58 PM »
I am just finishing a Game of Thrones rewatch binge (thanks to crappy weather and APS being down) but have this on my list for this week. I'm glad to hear that it sounds good. These days, the woke really know how to *expletive deleted*ck up good stuff, and I was afraid of that for TLOU.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 03:51:21 PM »
So far it doesn't seem to be all that woke.

Main male character is Hispanic, and his daughter looks to be Hispanic/African American (but with the last name Miller), but lots of white devils, both good and bad, in the cast.

Lots of strong female character, but no trans poster children, no birth givers with penises, no 982 genders rolled into one... so far...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 01:38:36 PM »
Can someone explain the plot of TLOU to me?  I kinda got the impression that the game was an attempt to port Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" to a game.  Is it deeper than that, or is it just another zombie game?  I'm getting a circular vibe of Liam Neeson's "The Road" to TLOU on playstation to TLOU on HBO.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 01:55:42 PM »
So far it doesn't seem to be all that woke.

Main male character is Hispanic, and his daughter looks to be Hispanic/African American (but with the last name Miller), but lots of white devils, both good and bad, in the cast.

Lots of strong female character, but no trans poster children, no birth givers with penises, no 982 genders rolled into one... so far...
I have heard the same from some, but others just say the wokeness is more subtle.  Women in charge of everything and the dead daughter is a lesbian.  I haven't watched it.  Just seeing mixed reviews.  Some like it, others less so.  Hard to judge that until full season is out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 05:04:25 PM »
Can someone explain the plot of TLOU to me?  I kinda got the impression that the game was an attempt to port Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" to a game.  Is it deeper than that, or is it just another zombie game?  I'm getting a circular vibe of Liam Neeson's "The Road" to TLOU on playstation to TLOU on HBO.

Fungal plague turns people into monsters.

Civilization largely collapses.

Survivors coalesce in cities. Last of us starts in Texas, IIRC, but 20 years after the start of the plague the main characters are now in Boston Quarantine Zone.

One of the characters is infected, but it doesn't kill her. She's the hope for mankind. She needs to get across the country to where another QZ is performing research on a cure.

End episode one.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 07:29:44 AM »
I have heard the same from some, but others just say the wokeness is more subtle.  Women in charge of everything and the dead daughter is a lesbian.  I haven't watched it.  Just seeing mixed reviews.  Some like it, others less so.  Hard to judge that until full season is out.

OK.... that's.... a real stretch.

Dead daughter a lesbian? How in the holy hell did they ever come up with that assessment?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 08:44:35 PM »
I just watched episode 2. I was thinking I would like it while watching episode 1, but wasn't sure. Now I'm sure. Good show. If "believable" is the right word, the plotline so far is more believable than The Walking Dead. Also better infected, who seem scarier and much harder to kill.

We'll need a "What caliber for The Last of Us Infected" thread. Other than capacity, I'm almost ready to go with shotgun. It looks like you need multiple head shots with 5.56. One of them was still running around with a hatchet buried in its head.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 07:25:08 AM »
Yeah, I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm really enjoying the interplay between the characters.