Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 125 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Gun Control Watch
« on: January 16, 2023, 06:58:53 PM »
Trying to avoid a mess of threads and since they're coming in hard and fast now I think a single thread to keep a watch on them is needed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:13:01 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 07:03:39 PM »
A bill from MA defining all semi autos as "assault weapons" and since "assault weapons" are banned in MA....Well you do the math.

Massachusetts Democrat introduces ban on all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/01/14/massachusetts-democrat-ban-semi-automatic-n66148

Which is weird, because Massachusetts already has an ?assault weapons? ban on the books dating back to 1998; one that was dramatically expanded through a ?re-interpretation? of the statute by then-Attorney General Maura Healey in 2016.

Those bills defined ?assault weapons? by features, and in some cases by name, but Rep. David Linsky?s new bill takes a much simpler approach; defining all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns as ?assault weapons?.

SECTION 1. Subsection (b) of section 61 of chapter 90 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2018 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out the words ?assault weapon?, in line 13, and inserting in place thereof the following words:- any rifle or shotgun containing a semiautomatic mechanism.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 07:04:53 PM »
Meanwhile in New Mexico

Bill introduced limiting mags to 9 rounds

Rep. Patricia Roybal Caballero (D-ABQ) on Monday filed House Bill 50 (HB0050 (nmlegis.gov), legislation making it a felony to possess, use, manufacture, import, purchase, sell, loan, borrow or transfer a magazine or similar device capable of holding 10 or more rounds of ammunition in the state. This restrictive measure contains no grandfather clause for currently- and lawfully-owned magazines and it includes a $1.5 million appropriation to the New Mexico Department of Safety to "administer" this ban if it becomes law. 

First Anti-Gun Bill Filed in New Mexico Legislature: Magazine Ban Legislation
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20230110/first-anti-gun-bill-filed-in-new-mexico-legislature-magazine-ban-legislation

Here's Colion Noir

New Mexico House Bill 50 Limits Magazines To 9 Rounds, Here's How This Leads To Banning All Guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgiZH9seOtg
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 09:21:54 AM »
Another federal "assault weapons" ban bill and an age restriction bill submitted by Dianne Turn them All In Feinstein

She cites the Monterey Park shooting despite M11s already being illegal in CA

BREAKING: Federal Assault Weapons & Magazine Bans Submitted...There's MORE Too!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8rM_x2YFgc

Bans the sell and transfer of 205 named AWs and others by features including shoulder things that go up.
Mandates "safe" storage
The usual mag stuff
Ban bump stocks and any device that allows a semi autos to fire at FA rates
etc etc etc... I think you know the routine by now.

AW bill
To regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear
arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes
https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/c/b/cb549d01-5602-43c5-bd78-8904b4250cae/AEA752FA2657D568F2D8AD66AD3DBA8F.2023.01.23-assault-weapons-ban.pdf

Age bill.
https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/6/d/6da516cb-5493-4ad1-ad9b-487a3568a62f/C300AEF287EFF7BE97C01230B03CC22F.2023.01.23-age-21-act.pdf

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:35:42 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 09:28:23 AM »
AW bill https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/c/b/cb549d01-5602-43c5-bd78-8904b4250cae/AEA752FA2657D568F2D8AD66AD3DBA8F.2023.01.23-assault-weapons-ban.pdf

On the listed firearms, it's kind of a crackup on all the Thompson variants listed. Sounds like they got some of their gun education from 1930s gangster movies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 09:30:41 AM »
Lets see how many RINOs we have in the house
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 09:48:46 AM »
30 rds of 5.56 says this dies in committee.  Have any of the federal AW bans of the last decade gotten out of committee to a floor vote?  I think the uniparty is concerned that they don't have the court for a ban and don't want to set federal precedent on what is or is not banable.  They'd rather the blue states still get to have their laws down in amenable district courts.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 10:02:36 AM »
30 rds of 5.56 says this dies in committee.  Have any of the federal AW bans of the last decade gotten out of committee to a floor vote?  I think the uniparty is concerned that they don't have the court for a ban and don't want to set federal precedent on what is or is not banable.  They'd rather the blue states still get to have their laws down in amenable district courts.

Last year's made it out of the house and to the senate.
Anyhow
Yes there are more Rs in the house than last year but still like to keep an eye on this stuff since the usual suspects like to go for it when the emotions are high. In other words while the recent shootings are still fresh in people's minds.
- Calvin and Hobbes