Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 29984 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Gun Control Watch
« on: January 16, 2023, 06:58:53 PM »
Trying to avoid a mess of threads and since they're coming in hard and fast now I think a single thread to keep a watch on them is needed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:13:01 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 07:03:39 PM »
A bill from MA defining all semi autos as "assault weapons" and since "assault weapons" are banned in MA....Well you do the math.

Massachusetts Democrat introduces ban on all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/01/14/massachusetts-democrat-ban-semi-automatic-n66148

Which is weird, because Massachusetts already has an ?assault weapons? ban on the books dating back to 1998; one that was dramatically expanded through a ?re-interpretation? of the statute by then-Attorney General Maura Healey in 2016.

Those bills defined ?assault weapons? by features, and in some cases by name, but Rep. David Linsky?s new bill takes a much simpler approach; defining all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns as ?assault weapons?.

SECTION 1. Subsection (b) of section 61 of chapter 90 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2018 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out the words ?assault weapon?, in line 13, and inserting in place thereof the following words:- any rifle or shotgun containing a semiautomatic mechanism.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 07:04:53 PM »
Meanwhile in New Mexico

Bill introduced limiting mags to 9 rounds

Rep. Patricia Roybal Caballero (D-ABQ) on Monday filed House Bill 50 (HB0050 (nmlegis.gov), legislation making it a felony to possess, use, manufacture, import, purchase, sell, loan, borrow or transfer a magazine or similar device capable of holding 10 or more rounds of ammunition in the state. This restrictive measure contains no grandfather clause for currently- and lawfully-owned magazines and it includes a $1.5 million appropriation to the New Mexico Department of Safety to "administer" this ban if it becomes law. 

First Anti-Gun Bill Filed in New Mexico Legislature: Magazine Ban Legislation
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20230110/first-anti-gun-bill-filed-in-new-mexico-legislature-magazine-ban-legislation

Here's Colion Noir

New Mexico House Bill 50 Limits Magazines To 9 Rounds, Here's How This Leads To Banning All Guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgiZH9seOtg
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 09:21:54 AM »
Another federal "assault weapons" ban bill and an age restriction bill submitted by Dianne Turn them All In Feinstein

She cites the Monterey Park shooting despite M11s already being illegal in CA

BREAKING: Federal Assault Weapons & Magazine Bans Submitted...There's MORE Too!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8rM_x2YFgc

Bans the sell and transfer of 205 named AWs and others by features including shoulder things that go up.
Mandates "safe" storage
The usual mag stuff
Ban bump stocks and any device that allows a semi autos to fire at FA rates
etc etc etc... I think you know the routine by now.

AW bill
To regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear
arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes
https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/c/b/cb549d01-5602-43c5-bd78-8904b4250cae/AEA752FA2657D568F2D8AD66AD3DBA8F.2023.01.23-assault-weapons-ban.pdf

Age bill.
https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/6/d/6da516cb-5493-4ad1-ad9b-487a3568a62f/C300AEF287EFF7BE97C01230B03CC22F.2023.01.23-age-21-act.pdf

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:35:42 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 09:28:23 AM »
AW bill https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/c/b/cb549d01-5602-43c5-bd78-8904b4250cae/AEA752FA2657D568F2D8AD66AD3DBA8F.2023.01.23-assault-weapons-ban.pdf

On the listed firearms, it's kind of a crackup on all the Thompson variants listed. Sounds like they got some of their gun education from 1930s gangster movies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 09:30:41 AM »
Lets see how many RINOs we have in the house
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 09:48:46 AM »
30 rds of 5.56 says this dies in committee.  Have any of the federal AW bans of the last decade gotten out of committee to a floor vote?  I think the uniparty is concerned that they don't have the court for a ban and don't want to set federal precedent on what is or is not banable.  They'd rather the blue states still get to have their laws down in amenable district courts.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 10:02:36 AM »
30 rds of 5.56 says this dies in committee.  Have any of the federal AW bans of the last decade gotten out of committee to a floor vote?  I think the uniparty is concerned that they don't have the court for a ban and don't want to set federal precedent on what is or is not banable.  They'd rather the blue states still get to have their laws down in amenable district courts.

Last year's made it out of the house and to the senate.
Anyhow
Yes there are more Rs in the house than last year but still like to keep an eye on this stuff since the usual suspects like to go for it when the emotions are high. In other words while the recent shootings are still fresh in people's minds.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 05:09:49 PM »
Bill introduced in NY to limit purchases to 1 rifle or shotgun every 90 days.

WHAT?!? ONE Rifle Per 90 Days?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koo4rurnjyY
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 05:17:36 PM »
Bill introduced in NY to limit purchases to 1 rifle or shotgun every 90 days.

WHAT?!? ONE Rifle Per 90 Days?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koo4rurnjyY

So if I buy too many rifles too fast, that would make me impervious to F-15s and nukes?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 12:50:31 PM »
Maryland’s Delegate Pam Queen introduced HB 704, a bill titled, “Firearms – Tracking Technology.” The bill’s description reads:

Prohibiting a person from engaging in a certain bulk firearm transfer unless each firearm that is part of the transfer contains a certain embedded tracker; requiring a seller or other transferor who engages in a bulk firearm transfer to transmit to the Secretary of State Police certain information; providing that a violation of the Act is a civil offense and subject to a fine of up to $2500; and requiring the Secretary to establish a certain database to store information about each bulk firearm transfer in the State.

It says this is for "bulk firearm transfer" Assuming this would apply to shipments to FFLs

Holy Orwell, Batman: Maryland Gun-Grabbers Want to Mandate RFID Tags to Track Firearms in Real Time
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/holy-orwell-batman-maryland-gun-grabbers-want-to-mandate-rfid-tags-to-track-firearms-in-real-time/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 03:16:13 PM »
It says this is for "bulk firearm transfer" Assuming this would apply to shipments to FFLs

Holy Orwell, Batman: Maryland Gun-Grabbers Want to Mandate RFID Tags to Track Firearms in Real Time
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/holy-orwell-batman-maryland-gun-grabbers-want-to-mandate-rfid-tags-to-track-firearms-in-real-time/
Perhaps it should apply to the BATFE.  Of course, the RFID tags would be meaningless to criminals stealing guns. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 03:19:10 PM »
Or maybe all FedGov issue firearms should be tagged so the Govt might track them when they are stolen or left in bathrooms.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 07:52:26 PM »
Futility Thesis: Academics Suggest Biden Reframe the Gun Control Narrative Away From ‘Assault Weapons’ and Mass Shootings
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/futility-thesis-academics-suggest-biden-reframe-the-gun-control-narrative-away-from-assault-weapons-and-mass-shootings/

Getting awfully close to some actual truth, but still wants gun control.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 10:06:44 AM »
Judge says that "Assault weapons" and "high cap" magazines aren't protected by the 2A because they're extra dangerous

A federal judge in Illinois has declined to put a stop to the state of Illinois’ new ban on so-called assault weapons, along with a similar prohibition locally imposed by the city of Naperville, ruling that the firearms in question aren’t protected by the Second Amendment in the first place.

In her ruling, Kendall wrote that the Illinois and Naperville bans meet that burden: “Because assault weapons are particularly dangerous weapons and high-capacity magazines are particularly dangerous weapon accessories, their regulation accords with history and tradition.

What history and tradition?

Federal judge says "assault weapons" not protected by the Second Amendment
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/02/20/federal-judge-says-assault-weapons-not-protected-by-the-second-amendment-n67535
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 11:13:19 AM »
I would really like to see them apply the same standards to the 1st and 4th amendments.

If the founding fathers didn't have it then it isn't protected.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 11:46:55 AM »
I would really like to see them apply the same standards to the 1st and 4th amendments.

If the founding fathers didn't have it then it isn't protected.

Judge Keller needs to go back and re-read Heller.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 11:28:30 AM »
Bans the online sale of ammo
Also requires the reporting of the selling of more than 1k rounds within a five day period to an "unlicensed" person

HR 584

To require face-to-face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/584/text?s=2&r=1&q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22Hr584%22%5D%7D
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 12:16:04 PM »
Columbus going rogue challenging Ohio's preemption law

Columbus, Ohio sets July 1st deadline for owners of "large capacity" magazines
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/02/28/columbus-july-magazines-n67910
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 11:01:15 AM »
Meanwhile in Colorado

Democrats introduced an assault weapons ban at the Colorado statehouse late Friday, a move which is sure to inflame the legislature and potential push away some in the party who have expressed reservations about whether the state could enforce such a ban.

House bill 1230 was assigned to the House Judiciary Committee where several of the co-sponsors serve, including the bill’s main sponsor Democratic Rep. Elisabeth Epps.

Democrats could lose as many as 13 votes in the House and still pass the measure onto the Senate, which has a smaller Democratic majority.
   …

At the center of the debate is the question of what constitutes an assault weapon. As written, the measure would define an assault weapon as a “semiautomatic rifle” that uses detachable magazines and has one of a number of features, these include a pistol grip, a folding stock, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel, among others. The draft also would ban certain .50 caliber rifles, semi automatic pistols, shotguns with revolving cylinders and semiautomatic shotguns.

Colorado Democrats introduce assault weapon ban
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/03/04/colorado-assault-ban-n68051
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2023, 11:05:07 AM »
With all the anti gun bills and lawsuits nationwide and all the discrepancy, I gotta think SC would have to get involved pretty soon.
Can somebody check a pulse on Scalia and see if maybe he is well enough to return for a bit?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2023, 09:14:35 AM »
Note the underlined

Late Friday, two Democratic party lawmakers introduced HB23-1230 ‘Prohibit Assault Weapons In Colorado’ which defines the term “assault weapon” and prohibits sales and ownership transfers. …

Within HB23-1230, an “assault weapon” is defined as a firearm that includes any of the following:

.50 caliber rifle, excluding antiques, shotguns, and muzzle-loading firearms
        a semiautomatic rifle
            that accepts a detachable magazine, or may be modified to accept one
            has a pistol grip
            with a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand
            with a folding, telescoping, thumbhole, or detachable stock
            with a flash suppressor
            with a functional grenade launcher
            with a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel
            with a threaded barrel
            with a fixed large-capacity magazine (more than 15 rounds as defined by CRS 18-12-301)
        a semiautomatic pistol
            that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine, or may be modified to accept one

with a second pistol grip
            with a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel
            with a flash suppressor
            with the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition-feeding device at some location outside of the pistol grip
            that weighs more than 50 ounces when unloaded
            with a buffer tube, arm brace, or other part that protrudes horizontally behind the pistol grip
            with a fixed large-capacity magazine
        a shotgun with a revolving cylinder
        a semiautomatic shotgun
            with a pistol grip
            with any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand
            with a folding, telescoping, thumbhole, or detachable stock
            with a functional grenade launcher
            with a fixed large-capacity magazine
            with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine
        a semiautomatic firearm that has the capacity to accept a belt ammunition feeding device
        any firearm with a rapid-fire trigger activator

Colorado ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban Would Outlaw All Semi-Automatic Handguns
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/colorado-assault-weapons-ban-would-outlaw-all-semi-automatic-handugns/

The bill https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2023A/bills/2023a_1230_01.pdf
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2023, 09:59:05 AM »
What is this fetish Democrats have with barrel shrouds?  WWI called, it wants it's shotguns back.

On the pistol thing WLJ underlined, that article missed an "or" when they were quoting it.  It's pretty clearly talking about the "pistol" version of rifles or SMGs, not a Glock.  I have to wonder though if a beavertail counts as an "other part that protrudes horizontally behind the pistol grip".  Like how far back horizontally does this part have to protrude?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2023, 10:06:48 AM »
What is this fetish Democrats have with barrel shrouds?  WWI called, it wants it's shotguns back.

On the pistol thing WLJ underlined, that article missed an "or" when they were quoting it.  It's pretty clearly talking about the "pistol" version of rifles or SMGs, not a Glock.  I have to wonder though if a beavertail counts as an "other part that protrudes horizontally behind the pistol grip".  Like how far back horizontally does this part have to protrude?

It's the IF that's it pivots on

Actually checked the bill myself before posting just in case they left something out and missed it myself

(III) A .50 CALIBER RIFLE ;1
(IV) A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT HAS THE CAPACITY TO2
ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE , OR THAT MAY BE READILY MODIFIED3
TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, IF THE SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL HAS4
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING FEATURES
:5
(A) A THREADED BARREL;6
(B) A SECOND PISTOL GRIP OR ADDITIONAL FEATURE CAPABLE OF.........
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2023, 01:25:50 PM »
Release the lawyers!

Seeking to crack down on gun violence, state attorney general William Tong filed a lawsuit Tuesday against four out-of-state manufacturers for shipping ghost gun parts to Connecticut.

Tong filed the civil suit against two manufacturers from Florida and one each from Utah and North Carolina after all four companies shipped the parts to an undercover investigator working for the attorney general’s office, he said.

During a press conference Tuesday, Tong displayed some of the parts that had been shipped to Connecticut, where ghost guns have been banned since October 2019.

“Ghost guns are unserialized, untraceable, unregistered, fully functional, in most cases fully automatic firearms that one can make at home,” Tong told reporters in Hartford. “These are guns that put Connecticut families, residents and law enforcement at risk because we can’t trace them. … They’re a menace.”

Connecticut AG sues "ghost gun" companies
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/03/08/connecticut-ag-sues-ghost-gun-companies-n68169
- Calvin and Hobbes