Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 51817 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2024, 11:34:09 AM »
The AP wants to make sure in their headlines you know what the shooter use in Las Vegas is on the loose and could kill again. Many news sites per SOP are copying and pasting it.

Supreme Court strikes down Trump-era ban on bump stocks, gun accessories used in 2017 Vegas massacre
https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/supreme-court-strikes-down-trump-era-ban-on-bump-stocks-gun-accessories-used-in-2017/article_eaa51999-bbd9-5212-8bfe-e053fdcf9672.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2024, 11:42:35 AM »
I still want clarity on that braces ruling. Can I or can I not buy a brace now?
I am seeing some guns with braces on Buds (at least the images show them) but when I go to the manufacturer's website they don't show any.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #627 on: June 14, 2024, 12:37:46 PM »
I see a couple people commenting that this problem originated with Trump.  I tend to disagree.  It originated with the NRA.  They are the ones who told Trump this was the best compromise option after the Las Vegas shooting. 

However, it is a good ruling on regulations following the written rule of law.  I will have to read through this one and see what language this ruling uses. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #628 on: June 14, 2024, 01:02:36 PM »
I see a couple people commenting that this problem originated with Trump.  I tend to disagree.  It originated with the NRA.  They are the ones who told Trump this was the best compromise option after the Las Vegas shooting. 

However, it is a good ruling on regulations following the written rule of law.  I will have to read through this one and see what language this ruling uses.

Just like with COVID Trump thought he was following the experts on something he didn't have a full understanding on. Is it his fault in both cases the "experts" turned out to be *expletive deleted*che bags?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #629 on: June 14, 2024, 01:21:20 PM »
As predicable as the sun coming up in the morning

GIFFORDS
@GIFFORDS_org
WATCH: Our Executive Director @Emma_S_Brown
 joined @MSNBC
 to respond to SCOTUS’s dangerous decision to strike down the ban on bump stocks.

“The Supreme Court has essentially legalized machine guns in this country. And if that sounds unbelievable, it’s because it is.”
https://x.com/GIFFORDS_org/status/1801631041204916317
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #630 on: June 14, 2024, 01:32:21 PM »
Just like with COVID Trump thought he was following the experts on something he didn't have a full understanding on. Is it his fault in both cases the "experts" turned out to be *expletive deleted*che bags?
IMO, he bears some of the blame, but I just don't want to forget all the others who were pushing for it.  All the establishment Repubs were all for it, especially many of the Republican Congressional cowards who didn't have to go on record with their votes. 

On other arguments, I feel like there are a lot of "I support Trump but...." folks who spend more time complaining about him than Biden.  I find that a bit annoying.  I don't feel I should have to continually state that my chosen candidate is not perfect and rehash his negatives. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #631 on: June 14, 2024, 01:38:37 PM »
IMO, he bears some of the blame, but I just don't want to forget all the others who were pushing for it.  All the establishment Repubs were all for it, especially many of the Republican Congressional cowards who didn't have to go on record with their votes. 

On other arguments, I feel like there are a lot of "I support Trump but...." folks who spend more time complaining about him than Biden.  I find that a bit annoying.  I don't feel I should have to continually state that my chosen candidate is not perfect and rehash his negatives.

Don't take what I said as me letting him completely off the hook but he was basically following what the NRA told him to do on the bump stock matter and as far as he knew they were the people to follow because, well, they're the NRA. The question is now has he learned anything from that?
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #632 on: June 14, 2024, 02:20:37 PM »
The AP wants to make sure in their headlines you know what the shooter use in Las Vegas is on the loose and could kill again. Many news sites per SOP are copying and pasting it.

Supreme Court strikes down Trump-era ban on bump stocks, gun accessories used in 2017 Vegas massacre
https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/supreme-court-strikes-down-trump-era-ban-on-bump-stocks-gun-accessories-used-in-2017/article_eaa51999-bbd9-5212-8bfe-e053fdcf9672.html

AP is not wrong here.  As far as I know they never did recover that 240.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #633 on: June 14, 2024, 02:43:34 PM »
Don't take what I said as me letting him completely off the hook but he was basically following what the NRA told him to do on the bump stock matter and as far as he knew they were the people to follow because, well, they're the NRA. The question is now has he learned anything from that?
I wasn't thinking about anything you wrote.  Just reminded of stuff I have seen on youtube videos.  Some people can't seem to mention supporting Trump without rehashing all the negatives.  We don't need to forget that stuff, but it makes me feel like they are embarrassed about their position. 

Oh well, sorry to bring that up.  It takes away from a good couple of days of judicial decisions.  Hopefully, there will be more to come. 

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"The slide rule is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
                     - Darth Calculus

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #635 on: June 14, 2024, 10:29:27 PM »

In this case, considering that his eldest son is a confirmed "gunnie," I would have to answer, "Yes."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #636 on: June 15, 2024, 08:55:51 AM »
In this case, considering that his eldest son is a confirmed "gunnie," I would have to answer, "Yes."
I generally support Trump BUT . . .

It was Trump's three SCOTUS appointments that are the reason we got this generably favorable ruling.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #637 on: June 15, 2024, 10:30:38 AM »
The bump stock ban is a good reminder that, like the vast majority of American politicians,  Trump is in fact an Authoritarian.  He clearly believes that a strong government dictating policy is the best way to govern.

Until he talked about the recent Abortion SCOTUS case he had never uttered the words: "That isn't a Federal issue".  And for the most part he still believes that he should push his idea 9f policy from Washington to the rest of the country.

We mostly agree with his policies,  so we overlook that trait,  but as the bumpstock ban reminds us, "mostly" is not 100%.

Also he's far from alone, or even the worst in his Authoritarian trend. Not like we actually have a Milei character available to elect.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #638 on: June 15, 2024, 10:51:10 AM »
We mostly agree with his policies,  so we overlook that trait,  but as the bumpstock ban reminds us, "mostly" is not 100%.

Also he's far from alone, or even the worst in his Authoritarian trend. Not like we actually have a Milei character available to elect.

Not to offend our resident Texans, but I have always cited CA and TX as two sides of the same authoritarian coin. "Our side" cheers Texas because of policies we agree with, while booing CA because of their policies we don't agree with. The polices of both states are there, however, because of authoritarian government.

Certainly on things like gun rights, you can argue that TX is following the Constitution with their laws. However there are a lot of "morality laws" that the two states are opposed on which are not necessarily individual rights.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #639 on: June 15, 2024, 11:40:39 AM »
Not to offend our resident Texans, but I have always cited CA and TX as two sides of the same authoritarian coin. "Our side" cheers Texas because of policies we agree with, while booing CA because of their policies we don't agree with. The polices of both states are there, however, because of authoritarian government.

Certainly on things like gun rights, you can argue that TX is following the Constitution with their laws. However there are a lot of "morality laws" that the two states are opposed on which are not necessarily individual rights.
It's true, we here in Texas DO have some laws that are just asinine.

* Car dealers aren't allowed to sell cars on Sunday . . . a day when most potential buyers have the day off from work and hence, time to shop.
* Can't sell beer before 10 AM on Sunday. It used to be before 12 noon, but those buffoons "improved" the law rather than abolishing it.
* Annual car inspections are required before annual registration renewals can be processed and required window stickers issued. (I've heard this may be phased out for much of the state, but left in place in "some" counties.)

On the plus side, unlike places I lived before (IL and MN) there are no State prohibitions on obtaining one of my "grail guns" an HKMP5SD. The only real obstacle is that if a GOOD pre-86 transferable one comes up for sale, it will probably cost as much as a new car. A nice new car.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2024, 12:37:16 PM »

I think you would have a hard time finding a state that doesn't have a mix of policies that are libertarian versus authoritarian.  Conservative voters have always been a mix of libertarian leaning types as well as "there ought to be a law" types.  IMO, the authoritarian solution is usually the easy solution that one thinks of first.  It takes some creativity and understanding to come up with good small govt style solutions....... or realize that sometimes taking no action is best. 

That and Texas was run by Democrats for well over 100 years up into the 1990's.   =D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2024, 12:40:17 PM »
I should add that I am not picking on either CA or TX (well, maybe CA since I hate what the commie pinkos did to me). There are plenty of other states like CA and TX (and I could say that my own has some authoritarian laws that I like but commies here hate). I just cite them because they seem to be the currently best known and most referenced examples of opposing policy, which, depending on what side you're on, is either right or wrong, but nevertheless, there by force of government.

Edit: Mech posted while I was typing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2024, 12:43:05 PM »
That and Texas was run by Democrats for well over 100 years up into the 1990's.   =D

I'm old enough to remember when a friend got his CA concealed carry the same day he applied for it, back when TX didn't allow concealed carry. Interesting how the two states flipped their cultures.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2024, 02:20:56 PM »
I have one of those sold by K-USA.  Works pretty good.  I have several of the 40 round mags.  Never had an issue with them.  The drum is a bit on the heavy side fully loaded.

Ditto and agree.  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2024, 02:29:06 PM »
Is Justice Alito one of Trump's appointees?
If so, I have heard that he wrote in his opinion and basically told congress HOW to change the law so that bumpstocks could be banned again.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2024, 09:19:21 PM »
How a bump stock works according to CNN

https://twitter.com/MAC_Arms/status/1801752650133999863

:facepalm: :rofl: :facepalm: :rofl: :facepalm: :rofl: :facepalm: :rofl: :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:31:39 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2024, 09:33:02 PM »
And stupid must be the theme of the day

In 1791, the Second Amendment was written.

In 1847, the bullet was invented.

Thus, the Second Amendment only applies to muskets.
    — Andrea Junker (@Strandjunker) June 14, 2024

Say wut?

Oh, She's Got Us There! Anti-Gun Activist Andrea Junker Shares Junk History on Bullets
https://twitchy.com/chad-felix-greene/2024/06/14/oh-shes-got-us-there-anti-gun-activist-andrea-junker-shares-junk-history-on-bullets-n2397300
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #647 on: June 16, 2024, 09:55:39 AM »
I still want clarity on that braces ruling. Can I or can I not buy a brace now?
I am seeing some guns with braces on Buds (at least the images show them) but when I go to the manufacturer's website they don't show any.

Got an e-mail from Atlantic Firearms this morning stating "Pistol Braces Are Back! ATF Brace Ban Is Over!"
So at least they think so
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #648 on: June 16, 2024, 10:12:27 AM »
"The slide rule is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
                     - Darth Calculus

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #649 on: June 18, 2024, 08:56:56 AM »
Not as funny as CNN's bump stock video but still showing how they don't have a clue about what they want to ban

https://x.com/GIFFORDS_org/status/1802368063716663722
- Calvin and Hobbes