Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 29994 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2023, 09:28:10 AM »
Washington "assault weapons" ban advancing

House Bill 1240 prohibits the sale, manufacture, and import of assault weapons in Washington state while "allowing reasonable exemptions for manufacture and sale to law enforcement and the military

The legislation does not prohibit the possession of assault weapons.
Yet

Washington House votes 55-42 to ban sale of assault weapons
https://www.q13fox.com/news/washington-house-votes-55-42-to-ban-sale-of-assault-weapons

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1240.pdf?q=20230309062512
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2023, 10:08:33 AM »
^^^Now it goes to the Washington state Senate, where there is a pretty good chance it will pass.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2023, 10:31:20 AM »
If it passes, I was watching a Washington Gun Law channel video where he was recommending people stock up on lowers (before any ban) since they're marked "other" on the 4473. I guess that's a way to have the base component for building an AR that you don't take to the public range to shoot, since I assume unlike many other states, cops in certain Western WA counties at least, will enforce the ban.

https://youtu.be/tGbqeivK7ls
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:43:49 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2023, 11:15:23 AM »
That's not a horrible idea, but if you are worried about what it says on a 4473 vis a vis an upcoming potential ban, I would say just break the law now and get you some 80 lowers.  Then there's no 4473 to worry about.  It's not like a firearm with the model number PSA F*CK BIDEN-15 is particularly subtle.

I guess that's a way to have the base component for building an AR that you don't take to the public range to shoot, since I assume unlike many other states, cops in certain Western WA counties at least, will enforce the ban.

Although, from the comfort of my firearms friendly state, I have to wonder what's the point of stocking up on a firearm type that you aren't going to be proficient with.  Does Western Washington have a bunch of secluded BLM land to shoot on like the southwest?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2023, 11:20:10 AM »
That's not a horrible idea, but if you are worried about what it says on a 4473 vis a vis an upcoming potential ban, I would say just break the law now and get you some 80 lowers.  Then there's no 4473 to worry about.  It's not like a firearm with the model number PSA F*CK BIDEN-15 is particularly subtle.

Although, from the comfort of my firearms friendly state, I have to wonder what's the point of stocking up on a firearm type that you aren't going to be proficient with.  Does Western Washington have a bunch of secluded BLM land to shoot on like the southwest?

Not really.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2023, 11:43:07 AM »

And I'm only guessing regarding Western WA enforcement (or lack thereof). It seems with the pistol brace ruling, more cops than I can ever remember protesting earlier gun control are protesting that, and are stating they will ignore it.

I know that anywhere that I shoot, including the public range, I am as of now safe from any local county or city cops, as the Sheriff and all the police chiefs in my area have said they will not enforce it, which means even if they have a rogue anti-gun cop on their force, that person has been ordered not to enforce it. Our AG is part of a lawsuit against it, so the state cops won't enforce it either.

I don't know, but suspect that the sheriff of whatever county Seattle is in will not issue any "will not comply" decrees. Thus, even if most of the cops under them would ignore enforcement, all it takes is the one anti-gun cop on the force to bust you at the public range. Also state cops could show up anywhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2023, 11:50:59 AM »
The Revenuers could deploy their federal tac team as well if they see a scary untaxed brace.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2023, 11:55:06 AM »
The Revenuers could deploy their federal tac team as well if they see a scary untaxed brace.

Definitely. Though one of the reasons I didn't mention them, and I forget where I read it (might have been here  =) ), is that their available personnel pool to actually do that is so small compared to the areas they would need to cover, that the probability of getting popped by a fed, especially if you're outside of population centers, is incredibly small.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2023, 01:36:58 PM »
Definitely. Though one of the reasons I didn't mention them, and I forget where I read it (might have been here  =) ), is that their available personnel pool to actually do that is so small compared to the areas they would need to cover, that the probability of getting popped by a fed, especially if you're outside of population centers, is incredibly small.

Perhaps it's because I'm in Tampa where they just plussed up their office due to the dangerous J6 soccer moms, but I would be shocked if they didn't have agents in every field office that made it a point to go to the local ranges every week or two, look at what's being shot, and look at license plates.  We routinely play "spot the fed" at classes on my range.

It's too easy a way to pump up numbers and bully folks into informing, plus way safer than messing with those guys that have Alibaba switches on their Glocks in Chicago.  Were I a statist thug POS, I would make it a point to find a couple illegal guns in the jurisdiction of every prominent sheriff that said they wouldn't enforce gun laws and scoop up the owners, just so the Fudds stay scared.  Similarly I would be shocked if they didn't have someone going through Guntuber's back catalogs and counting pistols, then flagging form 1's in under their name so that on April 2nd, they can go kick in doors FPSRussia style.  (If they have a sense of humor they'll do the raids April 15th)

ETA:  I got the email a form 4 was approved as I typed that paragraph^^^^.  You can't tell me the gods don't have a sense of humor.   :cool: :cool:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2023, 01:44:17 PM »
Perhaps it's because I'm in Tampa where they just plussed up their office due to the dangerous J6 soccer moms, but I would be shocked if they didn't have agents in every field office that made it a point to go to the local ranges every week or two, look at what's being shot, and look at license plates.  We routinely play "spot the fed" at classes on my range.

It's too easy a way to pump up numbers and bully folks into informing, plus way safer than messing with those guys that have Alibaba switches on their Glocks in Chicago.  Were I a statist thug POS, I would make it a point to find a couple illegal guns in the jurisdiction of every prominent sheriff that said they wouldn't enforce gun laws and scoop up the owners, just so the Fudds stay scared.  Similarly I would be shocked if they didn't have someone going through Guntuber's back catalogs and counting pistols, then flagging form 1's in under their name so that on April 2nd, they can go kick in doors FPSRussia style.  (If they have a sense of humor they'll do the raids April 15th)

ETA:  I got the email a form 4 was approved as I typed that paragraph^^^^.  You can't tell me the gods don't have a sense of humor.   :cool: :cool:
On that last, they have already said in their own training that all you have to do is take the brace off for it not to be an SBR. 

Yes, they can ignore their own advice and do it anyway, but that is a black hole discussion. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2023, 01:52:58 PM »
take it off ***And destroy it****.

And we remember from the before times that a buffer tube that will accept a stock, and a stock you could put on it, even if that stock is on another rifle, is constructive possession of an SBR.

But honestly they don't need the conviction.  They need to pick the right guy with a braced AR at the range, and preferably a 10/22 in one of these jurisdictions with a Sheriff that is not bending the knee, get a warrant based on seeing him with an AR pistol and stock (maybe on another gun), call the news and roll a tac team.  The story will be "multiple weapons, including illegal SBR, and thousands of rounds of ammo seized by ATF/FBI joint task force.  Sheriff refuses to enforce public safety laws.  Federal law enforcement needs more agents to step in where the racist lazy Sheriff's won't."  Film at 11.

I have to assume they will do something like that just for the chilling effect.  The Revenuers can't let states and Sheriff's just ignore them (and federal law).  That's how you end up the next Border Patrol with no funding and the president hating on your horse reins.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2023, 11:33:35 AM »
Meanwhile in my home state

A bill that would ban state and local law enforcement, governments and their employees from enforcing federal gun laws or regulations in Kentucky advanced from a Senate committee Thursday morning.

House Bill 153, sponsored by Rep. Josh Bray, R-Mount Vernon, would prevent local law enforcement, employees of public agencies and local governments from assisting or cooperating with a “federal ban” on firearms, firearms accessories and ammunition. The bill’s language would also prevent local governments and public agencies from adopting rules or spending public funding or resources to enforce such a federal ban on firearms.

Kentucky bill barring help on federal gun laws advances
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/03/11/kentucky-bill-federal-n68293
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2023, 12:32:23 AM »
https://rumble.com/v2cbabe-wtf-wednesday-returns-with-guns-drag-jan-sixth-and-more..html
Nick Rekieta spent the first part of his stream talking about the Missouri case and what he thought of the federal court decision.  I think he commented at one point the federal judge just accepted the Justice Dept argument in whole without any regard for what the law actually does. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2023, 09:40:00 PM »
They're getting nuttier

Massachusetts lawmaker thinks gun show attendance should require a license
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/03/15/massachusetts-lawmaker-thinks-gun-show-attendance-should-require-a-license-n68470
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2023, 02:09:25 PM »
Release the lawyers!

On March 22, 2021, a gunman murdered 10 people at a King Soopers supermarket in Boulder, Colorado, including Suzanne Fountain. Now, her son is suing gun manufacturer Sturm, Ruger & Co. over how it marketed the firearm used in the massacre — claiming the company was complicit in the shooting.

The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in state court in Connecticut, which is home to Sturm, Ruger & Co. The plaintiff, Nathaniel Getz, says the company marketed it AR-556 pistol in a "reckless" and "immoral" way that promoted its killing capability.

Getz's attorney, Andrew Garza, said he is the first relative of the 10 victims to file a lawsuit against the gun maker, following the playbook established by families of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims.

Son of Colorado mass shooting victim sues gun manufacturer Sturm, Ruger & Co.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/son-colorado-mass-shooting-victim-sues-gun-manufacturer-sturm-ruger-co
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2023, 04:01:34 PM »
Oregon Democrats introduce "ghost gun" ban, age restrictions, and more
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/03/17/oregon-democrats-introduce-ghost-gun-ban-age-restrictions-and-more-n68544

The three new bills are:

House Bill 2005 would punish the manufacturing, sales and possession of undetectable firearms intended to skirt security screenings and untraceable firearms  that lack a serial number.

House Bill 2006 would increase from 18 to 21 the legal age to purchase or possess a firearm. The proposal would have exceptions for firearms used for hunting and for people younger than 21 who are in the military or police officers.

House Bill 2007 would allow cities and counties to restrict people licensed to carry a concealed handgun from possessing a firearm on the agency’s buildings or grounds.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2023, 12:49:11 PM »
Wow, just wow
So much BS packed into 4 minutes.

Here's Rep Raskin

Anti-2A Congressman Says The 2nd Amendment Is "DEBUNKED"?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWkISsJQf1A
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2023, 02:59:43 PM »
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-sheepdog-15-stripped-lower-receiver.html
PSA AR-15 "Sheepdog-15" GOA Fundraiser Stripped Lower Receiver  $59.99

This fundraiser is being promoted in conjunction with Palmetto State Armory and the Gun Owners of America to promote freedom across the country.

$10 Dollars from the sale of each Sheepdog-15 lower will be donated to Gun Owners of America.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2023, 03:05:46 PM »
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-sheepdog-15-stripped-lower-receiver.html
PSA AR-15 "Sheepdog-15" GOA Fundraiser Stripped Lower Receiver  $59.99

Saw that a week ago and I only just now realized that may suppose to the rancher recently in the new.. But why Texas when he was in AZ?

Edit: Would help if I actually read the description before commenting.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2023, 10:44:33 AM »
Passed

Kentucky bill prohibiting enforcement of federal firearms bans becomes law
https://www.wdrb.com/news/kentucky-bill-prohibiting-enforcement-of-federal-firearms-bans-becomes-law/article_aa060876-cd6e-11ed-99b0-e3653faa0bfe.html

"It says going forward no state tax dollars or state manpower will be allocated towards the law enforcement of federal firearms ban regulations after Jan. 1, 2021," Bray said.

Under the new law, Kentucky police and law enforcement officers are not allowed to adopt rules, regulations or ordinances that require the enforcement of such bans. Police agencies are also prohibited from "allocating public resources or moneys in the enforcement of federal firearm bans."
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2023, 07:29:10 AM »
I guess this goes here:

Supposedly for children 0-19, gun related deaths are now the number one cause of death in the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/29/health/us-children-gun-deaths-dg/index.html
https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/issue-brief/child-and-teen-firearm-mortality-in-the-u-s-and-peer-countries/

Something seems quite fishy with this study. They are supposedly adjusting for population, however based on population adjustment, and guns aside, I would question all the other death types. According to them, the US is orders of magnitude higher on all the other death types, including diseases like cancer and congenital disease.

I suspect that for guns, the below is part of the answer (18-19 year olds and gangs). That doesn't explain the disease numbers though.

Using the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Wonder database and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) Global Burden of Disease (GBD) study data, we compare fatality rates and disability estimates for people ages 1 through 19. (Since estimates were not available for children ages 1-17 alone, young adults ages 18 and 19 are grouped with children for the purposes of this brief).

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2023, 08:27:17 AM »
I suspect that for guns, the below is part of the answer (18-19 year olds and gangs). That doesn't explain the disease numbers though.
Yeah, 19 year old "kids" alone represent about the equivalent number of deaths as 0-14 combined, for instance.

Statistically speaking, kids are at significantly lower risk from most diseases, and through vaccination, hygiene, and plentiful nutrition we've been able to eliminate or greatly reduce most of the diseases that disproportionately impact children.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2023, 09:27:14 AM »
So they just raised the age until they got the answer they wanted. 

Pb

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »
It is possible.  Black young men have astronomical murder rates.  The following info includes ages up to 24, but it is still startling.

Between 1950 and 2010, the average death rate for young Black males due to homicide was 81.7 per 100,000 

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0021934719895999

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2023, 11:57:46 AM »
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/child-health.htm

This shows the 'congenital diseases' category, and it is essentially birth defects.

Children aged 1-4 years
Accidents (unintentional injuries)
Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities
Assault (homicide)
Source: National Vital Statistics System – Mortality data (2021) via CDC WONDER

Children aged 5-9 years
Cancer
Assault (homicide)
Source: National Vital Statistics System – Mortality data (2021) via CDC WONDER

Children aged 10-14 years