Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 31420 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2023, 09:59:35 AM »
When Oklahoma was going for constitutional carry the biggest opposition from the state was the loss of revenue from permit fees.  :facepalm:

Don't forget about the "pro-gun" CCW instructors. Wasn't it Texas where they were a big roadblock?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2023, 10:07:35 AM »
Don't forget about the "pro-gun" CCW instructors. Wasn't it Texas where they were a big roadblock?
"I'm pro-gun, but ..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2023, 11:33:40 AM »
That was also the case in my state.  The sheriffs stalled it for years, not wanting to lose their slush funds.  We eventually won; so there is hope.

It's possible that it could pass some years down the road.  That's assuming NC retains its slender supermajority in the legislature, or picks up a conservative governor.  It's also assuming our Republic lasts long enough.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2023, 12:57:15 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 04:46:24 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2023, 01:39:20 PM »
It's possible that it could pass some years down the road.  That's assuming NC retains its slender supermajority in the legislature, or picks up a conservative governor.  It's also assuming our Republic lasts long enough.

All true. Also, CC has become the expected norm for red states, so there will be continued pressure on Republican pols to get it done.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2023, 05:59:01 PM »
Also, CC has become the expected norm for red states, so there will be continued pressure on Republican pols to get it done.

That's a good point, as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2023, 11:48:42 AM »
Federal judge grants injunction against Illinois "assault weapons" and magazine ban
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/04/28/federal-judge-grants-injunction-against-illinois-assault-weapons-and-magazine-ban-n69989

Never mind

7th court of appeals put a stay on the injunction

Bad News! Illinois Assault Weapon & Magazine Ban Are Back In Effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArq2eqocfU

And if you bought anything during the injunction period

Illinois State Police claims guns bought while "assault weapons" ban was halted are illegal
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/05/09/illinois-state-police-claims-guns-bought-while-assault-weapons-ban-was-halted-are-illegal-n70296
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2023, 04:22:13 PM »
That pesky shadow docket could soon have some serious ramifications in the world of a-salt (semi-automatic) weapons.

The Supreme Court could hand down a decision any day now in National Association for Gun Rights v. City of Naperville, a case that could legalize assault weapons and high-capacity magazines in all 50 states.

https://www.vox.com/politics/2023/5/9/23716863/supreme-court-assault-rifles-weapons-national-association-gun-rights-naperville-brett-kavanaugh

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2023, 04:40:54 PM »
I ain't gonna hold my breath on that one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2023, 02:03:32 PM »
IL ban back in the crosshairs

Justice Amy Coney Barrett is reviewing an emergency petition

Illinois' 'assault weapons' ban could be on the chopping block — at least temporarily
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/illinois-assault-weapons-ban-chopping-block-least-temporarily
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2023, 03:47:31 PM »
I think there is a good chance of AW bans being overturned.  It is a direct violation of Bruen.

(At least until a couple of judges get replaced by Democrats.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 08:53:24 AM by Pb »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2023, 04:04:38 PM »
Federal judge: prohibiting adults 18-20 years old from buying handguns violates the Second Amendment:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/federal-judge-rules-handgun-laws-violate-second-amendment/ar-AA1b4tBH

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2023, 09:16:10 AM »
Senator Muphy says Americans will revolt if the SC finds universal background checks unconstitutional.
Sounds like a threat to me.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chris-murphy-warns-popular-revolt-scotus-finds-universal-background-checks-unconstitutional
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2023, 09:28:02 AM »
I would love to see them get rid of background checks.  I have my doubts they would do it.  I imagine someone like Thomas would, but I am not sure he would have a majority in that opinion.  Background checks are almost mainstream these days.

Might be easier to put some restrictions on the govt so it can't be used as a ban.  Perhaps force better due process options for those denied.  It would be interesting if a decision on this affected NFA background checks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2023, 09:31:48 AM »
Universal background checks won't work and are generally pointless without registration and they know that. So if they can get universal background checks registration would be the next logical thing they would push for. We must "close the UBC loophole!" and all that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 10:38:11 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2023, 09:36:16 AM »
Senator Muphy says Americans will revolt if the SC finds universal background checks unconstitutional.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chris-murphy-warns-popular-revolt-scotus-finds-universal-background-checks-unconstitutional

If these anti-gun Americans he claims are on his side revolt, what will they do it with?  Anti-gunners are revolting anyway, but not in the way Murphy thinks.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2023, 09:40:02 AM »
If these anti-gun Americans he claims are on his side revolt, what will they do it with?  Anti-gunners are revolting anyway, but not in the way Murphy thinks.

By revolt he means getting in front of a microphone and start screaming
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2023, 10:35:43 AM »
Universal background checks won't work and is generally pointless without registration and they know that. So if they can get universal background checks registration would be the next logical thing they would push for. We must "close the UBC loophole!" and all that.

That is why all form 4473s and electronic copies should be destroyed, instead of being stored by the federal government.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2023, 11:53:58 AM »

Murphy is inciting insurrection.

(hey, if they can say that about Jan. 6 ...)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2023, 02:14:49 PM »
Has anyone heard of any ruling on the pistol brace ban?  I believe that grace period is about to run out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2023, 05:15:23 PM »

AND, being "anti-gun", what will they use against others?  :facepalm:  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2023, 05:18:34 PM »
By revolt he means getting in front of a microphone and start screaming.

Doesn't the military have some kind of "infra-sound" generator that they can use for "crowd dispersal"?
Considering some of those "biological female" anti-gunners, imagine THAT high pitched scream, amplified and boosted.  OUCH !!
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2023, 09:49:42 PM »
Has anyone heard of any ruling on the pistol brace ban?  I believe that grace period is about to run out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YlGq-30nE
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2023, 09:43:09 AM »
Town in Vermont trying to get a private gun range shut down.
The legal gymnastics on display here are both funny and scary to watch and after failing to get the range closed for the usual stupid reason the town got their state senator (D of course) to introduce a bill making it a felony to operation a "paramilitary" training camp. They even admitted the bill's intent was to shut down the range. The definition of "paramilitary" is left vague enough to where any firearms training could be considered as such.  The bill passed and was signed into law. Bye bye range.
She starts reading the bill at 06:06

As usual could be more to this but in the meantime here it is

State Attacks Gun Range as "Antigovernment Training Camp"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-M3seQPVr8
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 10:00:22 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2023, 01:26:46 PM »
In a surprising move (to many) our RINO Governor and former Las Vegas Sheriff who at one time spouted the need for gun control and questioned the need for high (normal) capacity magazines vetoed three anti-gun bills that were sitting on his desk.

One of them would have prevented firearms within 100 ft of an election site. Bottom line it was very ambiguous, what if they put a ballot drop off box at the supermarket. Also it would mean all of the armed voters would have to leave their guns in their vehicles, possibly being stolen as a result.

The balloting one also tightened the definition of "ready frame or receiver (ghost gun).

The second would have prohibited individuals under 21 years of age from owning and possessing certain assault weapons, among others

1.    A person who is less than 21 years of age shall not  handle
or have in his or her possession or under his or her control any:  (a)  Semiautomatic shotgun; or
 (b)  Semiautomatic centerfire rifle.
  A  person  who  violates  this  subsection  is  guilty  of  a  gross misdemeanor.

It was just bad, no more youth shooting sports including shotgunning like trap or skeet with a semi-auto shotgun.

The third was related to hate crimes, prohibiting a person convicted of a hate crime from owning firearms (buying, etc) for 10 years.

Joe Lombardo ran on a pro 2A platform and surprisingly kept his word on these.

The state legislature is one person away from a super majority. The Dems own the assembly and are one seat short in the Senate. There is still a slim (very slim) chance they could override the veto but so far it doesn't seem like that will happen.

bob
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 02:35:03 PM by BobR »