Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 31359 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2023, 01:10:46 PM »
They're trying this again

More than two dozen House Democrats put forward legislation Friday that would slap "assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines with a 1,000% excise tax, a change that would raise the price of a $500 weapon to $5,000 in a bid to reduce access to guns across the country.

Rep. Don Beyer, D-Va., and 24 other House Democrats introduced the legislation Friday. It’s the second time Democrats have put forward the idea.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-demand-1000-excise-tax-assault-weapons-high-capacity-magazines
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2023, 08:58:56 AM »
If I was a dealer I would run sales like "buy a Streamlight tactical flashlight and get an AR-15 for $0.01!"
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2023, 09:37:02 AM »
If I was a dealer I would run sales like "buy a Streamlight tactical flashlight and get an AR-15 for $0.01!"
Excise taxes would probably be collected upstream from the dealer at the manufacturer level. This would shut down every manufacturer that didn't primarily sell to the government.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2023, 07:36:17 PM »
Ah yes, the same old "Let's make 80%s Great Again" law.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2023, 07:41:22 PM »
Ah yes, the same old "Let's make 80%s Great Again" law.

And then states like WA make 80%’s illegal.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2023, 07:56:45 PM »
And then states like WA make 80%’s illegal.

They sure try.  Reading WA States SB 1240, there would be pretty easy to at least tie it up in courts over the whole "readily convertible" thing as that is not going to be precise enough to pass constitutional muster.  the " is marketed or sold to the public to become or be used as the frame or receiver"* thing could be harder to get around, but the CA guys are pretty creative.  It's moot until you get rid of WA's Assault Weapons ban though.  Gotta take the battles in order.

*Reading that bill, it would be awesome to find some super common things that libs like, iPhones for example, and make a kit to turn them into a firearm and market the phone as an unfinished receiver.  Get them to ban the sale of things they like.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2023, 08:23:46 AM »
The usual found on the internet warnings apply

President Joe Biden plans to announce that he is directing the ATF to close what Everytown calls the “private sales loophole” and the “digital loophole.” The “private sales loophole” is when an individual sells a firearm for profit but does not possess a Federal Firearm License (FFL).

Biden will call on the ATF to develop a new rule requiring anyone who makes any profit by selling firearms to possess an FFL. Guns tend to increase in value over time. A gun purchased in 1980 will likely sell for more money today than its original value.

New Leak Shows ATF Will Pass Rule to Eliminate Private Sales
https://www.ammoland.com/2023/08/new-leak-shows-atf-will-pass-rule-to-eliminate-private-sales/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2023, 09:36:13 AM »
I have heard some rumors about that the last couple days.  Heard at one point it was a rule about profiting from gun sales, then there was be something about limiting the number of guns a non-FFL could sell per year (5?).  I haven't listened to all the news stuff though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2023, 10:02:23 AM »
Speculation I've seen is that sale of any gun at a profit would be "engaging in the business."

Seems as if it would be nearly impossible to prove in cash transactions or trades - I don't think .gov has any records of prices paid.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2023, 11:13:21 AM »
The usual found on the internet warnings apply

New Leak Shows ATF Will Pass Rule to Eliminate Private Sales
https://www.ammoland.com/2023/08/new-leak-shows-atf-will-pass-rule-to-eliminate-private-sales/

Let me say this about that:

This bureaucracy called the ATF, along with the Biden administration, are doing their best it seems to make revolution necessary. Congress and the Court need to step up to the plate, reign these people in, and make revolution unnecessary. That, after all, is what the people in our government are supposed to do. Those people were elected to protect our rights, not their power and position.

It is said that the power of our government is divided into three branches. In reality, there are four branches to our government.  We the People comprise the first branch, Congress the second branch, the Executive the third, and the Judiciary the fourth. Why are we first? Because We the People have rights, the other three only have powers delegated to them derived from our rights. We have the right to cut them off if and when any of those other three branches fail in their duties or attempt to become dictatorial, tyrannical, or even despotic in an attempt to usurp our rights and subjugate us.

The three branches of government We the People created via the Constitution were designed to keep each other of them in check and in compliance with the Constitution as We the People so dictated. If those branches, any or all of them, run afoul of the Constitution, We the People have the final say - our exclusive right - as to how to set things back on track. We have the power to replace the errant people in government with the power of our votes, and if that fails, we have the right to use arms to effect our constitutional order.

Even if those in government feel they are exercising some ethereal power to keep us free from harm by disarming us, maybe have no intention of subjugating us or becoming some sort of tyrannical dictator, they would make us vulnerable to anyone else who would have those desires. That would make them no less despotic as those to whom they would make us vulnerable. Whether their actions be an end or create the opportunity for an unintended consequence, We the People need to wake up, put our foot down, and stand ready with our arms to assure our freedom. Our arms are the only guarantee that freedom will reign.

As I often say, "Knowing the past, I will not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2023, 11:19:36 AM »
Speculation I've seen is that sale of any gun at a profit would be "engaging in the business."

Seems as if it would be nearly impossible to prove in cash transactions or trades - I don't think .gov has any records of prices paid.
Last time I sold a few guns, they could have looked at my text messages.  That is about the only record if no receipt was done.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2023, 12:28:59 PM »
Given the ATF's recent track record for litigating their new rules, I kind of look forward to seeing "Engaged in the Business" as a term dragged into the courts and given a definition.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2023, 12:40:42 PM »

If you don’t have a receipt they’ll just say your cost basis was $0.  They’ll do that both for tax purposes and to say you’re “engaging in the business” of selling firearms for profit.  SCOTUS might strike that down.  A decade and untold harm later.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2023, 12:57:47 PM »

It isn't "engaging in the business" if you are simply cashing in on your capitol gains. What would be the difference between selling a personal gun and trading in your stocks and bonds?

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2023, 01:29:58 PM »
SC allows the Frame and Receiver rule to remain in effect while the trial continues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brznPgxezlM
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 01:49:36 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2023, 02:22:15 PM »
It isn't "engaging in the business" if you are simply cashing in on your capitol gains. What would be the difference between selling a personal gun and trading in your stocks and bonds?
The likelihood of the IRS getting a cut?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2023, 05:09:48 PM »
SC allows the Frame and Receiver rule to remain in effect while the trial continues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brznPgxezlM

This is getting tiresome.   :mad:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2023, 01:47:19 AM »
I have a 9mm G19, a .38 S&W Model 36, and a Colt .25 acp all within reach, with full mags/cylinders and one in the hot hole. FAAFO.

There's still dad's S&W Model 10-8 in the safe with 2 speedloaders should I melt the other 3 down.

We will do our fighting from inside our house/car (if bugging out) but we are NOT going down like sheep! And YES, PinkPigParts is 100% on board.

:old:  [popcorn]
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2023, 09:36:12 AM »

Woody
Yeah, I am not sure I profited on the guns I sold.  I was just happy to get close to what I paid for them.  The few that got a little more I had owned for over 10 years so I figure inflation counts.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #219 on: August 09, 2023, 10:14:40 AM »
Yeah, I am not sure I profited on the guns I sold.  I was just happy to get close to what I paid for them.  The few that got a little more I had owned for over 10 years so I figure inflation counts.

The only guns I have ever profited on, and admittedly it was a good profit, have been my milsurps, which I bought for a hundred or two, held for more than ten years, then sold for around four times their purchase price.

I'm pretty sure that I have taken a loss on every modern gun I have ever sold. That's mostly selling guns I didn't like not long after I had them. I'm sure if I sell the Super Blackhawk I bought for $190 in 1978, I can get a might more for that one now.  =)

Though when I sold my G23 (bought in ~1995),  via consignment a couple of years ago, I still took a loss on that one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #220 on: August 11, 2023, 12:02:32 AM »
Ben, I have an Astra Constable in .380 that I bought in 1975 when I traded (stupidly) my Ruger .22LR pistol with a 7.5" barrel.  It's an all steel gun but it has been so long that I don't remember its original cost.  I recently had to pay about $120 to get it repaired when somebody on a forum spotted that it was missing the extractor & other parts.
It is unlikely that I would be able to recover my "costs" if I were to sell this gun.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #221 on: August 11, 2023, 01:33:42 AM »
Red flag introduced in WI. Fortunately we are 2/3 R in both houses, and only 1 R cosponsered it.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2023/related/proposals/ab350
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #222 on: August 11, 2023, 10:30:50 AM »
Some not good, but also not unexpected, gun control news out of IL

The multiple legal challenges to Illinois’ recently enacted ban on so-called assault weapons and “large capacity” magazines are taking place in both federal and state court, and while we’re waiting on a decision from the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals regarding the federal challenges, the state Supreme Court in Illinois has now released its own opinion in a case brought by Illinois state Rep. Dan Caulkins. To the surprise of few gun owners, the Democrat-controlled court reversed the lower court decision finding the ban violated the equal protection and special legislation clauses of the state constitution, maintaining instead that the ban that went into effect earlier this year is perfectly acceptable under the state constitution.

Today’s opinion was delivered by Justice Elizabeth Rochford, who has a history of palling around with anti-gun groups like Moms Demand Action.

BREAKING: IL Supreme Court upholds "assault weapon", magazine ban
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/08/11/breaking-il-supreme-court-upholds-assault-weapon-magazine-ban-n73571
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2023, 09:50:14 PM »
Some not good, but also not unexpected, gun control news out of IL

BREAKING: IL Supreme Court upholds "assault weapon", magazine ban
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/08/11/breaking-il-supreme-court-upholds-assault-weapon-magazine-ban-n73571

And, IIRC, "Judge" Rochford is one of the 2 judges "Jabba" bought and paid for in the last election.  :facepalm:  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2023, 12:43:43 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/12/us/guns-switch-devices.html

I have not made a study of this subject.  Do the switches/auto sears only work in Glock pistols?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.