Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 31382 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2023, 07:11:29 AM »
Director of Bronx anti-gun violence org busted for drug trafficking scheme, gun possession
https://www.bxtimes.com/bronx-anti-gun-violence-drug-trafficking/

Doesn't want his client base to be able to offer any resistance.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2023, 06:39:11 PM »
Some good news....

D.C. to Pay Gun Owners $5.1 Million for Unconstitutional Arrests and Confiscations
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/d-c-to-pay-gun-owners-5-1-million-for-unconstitutional-arrests-and-confiscations/

D.C. will pay $5.1 million as part of a class-action settlement with gun owners who were arrested under laws that have since been found to violate the Second Amendment, according to the settlement agreement.
-------------------------------
Now, D.C. will pay a total of $300,000 to the six plaintiffs and $1.9 million in attorneys fees, with the majority of the rest of the money set aside for more than 3,000 people estimated to qualify for the class-action. …

At least they get a little bit more than just the legal costs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2023, 07:07:08 PM »
Some good news....

D.C. to Pay Gun Owners $5.1 Million for Unconstitutional Arrests and Confiscations
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/d-c-to-pay-gun-owners-5-1-million-for-unconstitutional-arrests-and-confiscations/

At least they get a little bit more than just the legal costs.

So, $50k each if I’m reading this correctly.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2023, 07:08:11 PM »
I'm sure DC will find ways to drag that out for years.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2023, 04:56:55 PM »
The proposed new rules details dropped

The White House outlines criteria that would automatically make someone presumed to require a federal firearms license. These include:

Offering any number of firearms for sale while signaling the ability to sell additional firearms.
    Frequently offering for sale firearms bought within the last 30 days.
    Selling firearms that are ‘like new’ and in their original packaging.
    Selling multiple firearms of the same make and model.
    As a former federally-licensed firearms dealer, selling firearms that were in business inventory and not transferred to a personal collection at least a year before the sale.

Biden administration one step closer to eliminating private gun sales
https://bearingarms.com/ryan-petty/2023/08/31/biden-admininstration-one-step-closer-to-eliminating-private-gun-sales-n74413

FACT SHEET: Biden-⁠Harris Administration Takes Another Life-Saving Step to Keep Guns Out of Dangerous Hands
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/08/31/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-takes-another-life-saving-step-to-keep-guns-out-of-dangerous-hands/

Cue the Jurassic Park "That's a big pile of *expletive deleted*it" meme in regards to the rule's title
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2023, 05:19:07 PM »
Selling firearms that are ‘like new’ and in their original packaging.

I currently have four firearms exactly fitting that description. I bought them specifically because of their collector value and appreciation potential. That's not counting any of my milsurps, which were also mostly purchased as an investment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2023, 05:44:10 PM »
Note Brandon Herrera's comment to Swalwell. Side note, I love Brandon's campaign Tshirt - "Let's Go Brandon!"  :rofl:

https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/08/31/eric-swalwell-whos-been-significantly-owned-for-his-gun-post-owned-again-for-saying-hes-not-being-owned-n2386766
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #257 on: September 01, 2023, 09:21:52 AM »
The proposed new rules details dropped

Biden administration one step closer to eliminating private gun sales
https://bearingarms.com/ryan-petty/2023/08/31/biden-admininstration-one-step-closer-to-eliminating-private-gun-sales-n74413

FACT SHEET: Biden-⁠Harris Administration Takes Another Life-Saving Step to Keep Guns Out of Dangerous Hands
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/08/31/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-takes-another-life-saving-step-to-keep-guns-out-of-dangerous-hands/

Cue the Jurassic Park "That's a big pile of *expletive deleted*it" meme in regards to the rule's title

I'm chewing my way through that NPRM, and there's a lot in it.

So far, the real worst thing I've seen is while they are required by statute (GCA '68) to say you can sell your personal collection and not be a dealer, when they get to the lists of things that are presumptions of not being a dealer they have this gem:

under this proposed rule, a person would not be presumed to be engaged in
the business requiring a license as a dealer when the person transfers firearms only as
bona fide gifts,73 or occasionally74 sells firearms only to obtain more valuable, desirable,
or useful firearms
for their personal collection or hobby, unless their conduct also
demonstrates a predominant intent to earn a profit
(bolding mine)

Which reads like if you sell your guns, either to get out of collecting, or just to downsize the collection, you would fall under the "presumptively a dealer" clause because you didn't use the funds to buy more guns.  Heck, they could make an administrative case if they felt like you were waiting too long to roll profits back into your collection.  If nothing else, there would definitely be a chilling effect on selling to folks you don't personally know.  Which is their intent.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2023, 10:17:12 AM »
Update on the Rare Breed case, Judge sides with the ATF.
Apparently ATF rule > what the law says is a machine gun.

The U.S. government on Tuesday won a court injunction blocking a firearms company from selling after-market triggers that let gun enthusiasts convert AR-15 style rifles into weapons that can shoot as fast as machine guns.

U.S. District Judge Nina Morrison in Brooklyn said the Department of Justice was likely to prove that the "forced-reset triggers" sold by Rare Breed Triggers LLC and its owners were illegal machine guns under federal law.

The government said rifles equipped with Rare Breed's FRT-15 triggers were capable of firing faster than military-grade M-16 machine guns, which can fire at least 700 rounds a minute.

In a 129-page decision, Morrison said the defendants defrauded customers by saying its FRT-15s were "absolutely" legal, despite having failed to win Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives approval for their sale.

She also highlighted alleged efforts by Fargo, North Dakota-based Rare Breed to obstruct the government from tracking and confiscating the devices, including by destroying sales records and using fake names on packages sent through the mail.
US wins injunction over devices it says turn rifles into machine guns
https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-wins-court-injunction-against-seller-machine-gun-converters-2023-09-05/

Court issues injunction on forced reset triggers case
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/09/06/court-forced-reset-n74513
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #259 on: September 06, 2023, 02:04:41 PM »
I hate it when idiots try and write technical things.

firing faster than military-grade M-16 machine guns, which can fire at least 700 rounds a minute.

An M16 can't fire 700 rounds per minute, much less at least 700 rounds per minute.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #260 on: September 06, 2023, 03:07:24 PM »
I hate it when idiots try and write technical things.

An M16 can't fire 700 rounds per minute, much less at least 700 rounds per minute.

Not following you, rounds per minute is how it's usually expressed and M16s are commonly rated at 700-850 rpm
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2023, 10:57:19 AM »
I believe the quibble is the difference between the cyclic rate and the effective rate, that is, how quickly the average soldier can swap magazines and sustain fire.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2023, 11:34:05 AM »
Not following you, rounds per minute is how it's usually expressed and M16s are commonly rated at 700-850 rpm

I believe the quibble is the difference between the cyclic rate and the effective rate, that is, how quickly the average soldier can swap magazines and sustain fire.

Close, but not quite.  The 700-900 rounds per minute is the rated cyclic rate of an M16/M4.  That is how fast the bolt moves.  The gun can't fire that fast without destroying itself.  It's not a matter of how fast someone can swap mags (which is it's own subject) but rather what the weapon is capable of without destroying itself.  If you put a Hollywood endless mag in an M4 , flipped it to auto, and held the trigger back, the gun physically couldn't fire 700rds in a minute.

It seems like a quibble amongst gun folks because we understand the difference between cyclic rate and rate of fire, but the idiots that wrote that article actually believe an M16 can fire 700 rounds in a minute.  It can't.  It'll literally melt first.

For Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSizVpfqFtw  830 rounds in 6 minutes killed the gun.

For the record, per TM 9-1005-319-10, the max sustained rate of fire for an M16/M4 is 12-15 rounds per minute.  Max Effective RoF of an M4 in Auto is 90rpm.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2023, 06:22:07 PM »
Might as well put this here:

https://youtu.be/Zczmz4850wM

It's a two year old Insider video on "decoding guns" that popped up in my youtubz. It was actually interesting to watch because they got some few things surprisingly correct, but then went out there with Pluto on so much more. Example: Needing to point out that an optic was colored in the dreaded Flat Dark Earth.

They of course managed to get clips of not the people normally dressed or safely handling guns, but stuff like the guy in the white motorcycle helmet and goggles, or the guy (that must have been a plant) waving his AR at everyone and everything.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2023, 08:29:36 PM »
    New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham says she is suspending open and concealed carry privileges in Bernalillo County for the next 30 days.

The governor made the announcement during a news conference Friday afternoon.

Gov. Lujan Grisham declared gun violence a public health emergency Thursday, following the murder of an 11-year-old boy on his way home from an Isotopes game Wednesday night. That case, combined with several other violent cases involving children, sparked the decision.

This goes into effect today and will last for 30 days, at which time Grisham says she’ll decide whether to extend it or adjust.
BREAKING: NM Gov suspends ALL lawful carry in Albuquerque
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/09/08/nm-gov-albuquerque-n74614

As usual will only effect the law abiding
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2023, 09:37:14 PM »
This goes into effect today and will last for 30 days, at which time Grisham says she’ll decide whether to extend it or adjust.

How is that legal?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2023, 10:59:05 PM »
Declare criminals a "public health emergency" and start requiring shots.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2023, 10:38:29 AM »
The Albuquerque Police Department has reported an 11% decrease in homicides for the month of August 2023 compared to August 2022. As of August 2023, APD reports 74 homicides for the month of August compared to 90 homicides in August 2022.

Guess who will no doubt take credit for that never mind the timing, the media will, also no doubt, gladly provide cover for that little detail.

Albuquerque homicide rate actually dropping
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/09/09/albuquerque-homicide-n74620
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2023, 11:09:17 AM »

As usual will only effect the law abiding
I don't see how edicts like this have any standing.

Did the NM gov also establish a penalty for ignoring the order?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2023, 11:14:11 AM »
Looking at those homicide numbers, Albuquerque told Chicago, "Here, hold my beer."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2023, 11:17:41 AM »

Don't know, may not matter if it's enforced or not because  since as I noted above the murder rate had already dropped by a sizable % before her imperial edict and I have almost no doubt she will with the MSM backing her up take full credit for the drop.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 11:43:53 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2023, 11:21:38 AM »
Looking at those homicide numbers, Albuquerque told Chicago, "Here, hold my beer."

Think we just had our 111th.
Just had a cop shot Thursday morning by someone on home incarceration with a felony list as long as my arm. WTF was he doing out?  Shot the cop from a house while the cop was making a traffic stop. Thankfully I think he's going to be okay. Meanwhile our lefty mayor keeps screaming gun control and absolutely nothing about criminal control.

Edit: 112
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2023, 11:38:27 AM »

I imaging (white) violators will be shot on sight by police.  Eventually that escalates into police being shot on sight.  They don't think these things through.

that was weird.  I put the word "white" in brackets and SM changed it to color=white and whited-out the whole line, even tho' there was no /color at the end
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2023, 11:57:26 AM »
I imaging (white) violators will be shot on sight by police.  Eventually that escalates into police being shot on sight.  They don't think these things through.

Eh, I bet white legal gun owners are a small minority in New Mexico. The white population there seems to be either hippies who hate guns, or meth heads that don't follow the law. That physically beautiful state has become a shithole.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2023, 12:40:51 PM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/09/new-mexico-sheriff-tells-tyrannical-governor-he-will/

Bernalillo sheriff won't comply with temporary New Mexico gun ban.

"I have reservations regarding this order. The temporary ban challenges the foundation of our Constitution, which I swore an oath to uphold."

Bernalillo is a suburb north of ABQ.

Having listened to the sheriff's statement, I note he does not refuse to enforce the ban.  He says he has reservations about it.

Also Bernalillo County includes all of ABQ.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden