Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 31391 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #275 on: September 09, 2023, 12:53:55 PM »
She admits it will do nothing but it will make them safer somehow  :facepalm:

https://twitter.com/beauhightowerdn/status/1700314710091173904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

It's message all right, that she is an idiot and needs to go.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 03:21:49 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2023, 12:55:52 PM »
https://eji.org/news/new-mexico-ends-qualified-immunity-for-abusive-police/

Remember when the governor of New Mexico removed Qualified Immunity from police officers that violate citizens rights? FPC remembers.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2023, 01:17:37 PM »
Shall not be infringed unless some woman feels there is a health crises.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2023, 02:46:47 PM »
She does not feel her oath (I assume to uphold the Constitution) is absolute. With that mind set she probably feels justified taking away the rights of the citizens. The local Po-Po don't quite feel that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xj58_9RpiA&t=147s

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2023, 03:02:44 PM »
She may have just opened herself up to an awesome, personally destructive lawsuit.

Her Civil Rights act that she signed into law in 2021:

A. A public body or person acting on behalf of, under color of or within the course and scope of the authority of a public body shall not subject or cause to be subjected any resident of New Mexico or person within the state to deprivation of any rights, privileges or immunities secured pursuant to the constitution of New Mexico.

B. A person who claims to have suffered a deprivation of any rights, privileges or immunities pursuant to the constitution of New Mexico due to acts or omissions of a public body or person acting on behalf of, under color of or within the course and scope of the authority of a public body may maintain an action to establish liability and recover actual damages and equitable or injunctive relief in any New Mexico district court.
DEFENSE OF QUALIFIED IMMUNITY.--In any claim for damages or relief under the New Mexico Civil Rights Act, no public body or person acting on behalf of, under color of or within the course and scope of the authority of a public body shall enjoy the defense of qualified immunity for causing the deprivation of any rights, privileges or immunities secured by the constitution of New Mexico.

New Mexico Constitution:
No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes,

It would seem she has, acting in the scope of her authority, deprived folks of rights guaranteed under the NM constitution.  In addition to injuctive relief, actual damages could get pretty high from anyone that is the victim of a crime this month.

It's a long shot, but I really hope they use her feel good BLM law to sue her into oblivion without the taxpayer's bailing her judgment out.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #280 on: September 09, 2023, 03:27:18 PM »
    🚨@RepBlock and I have asked legal counsel to start the impeachment process for @GovMLG for her violation of oath of office by mandating the ban of all firearms (even with concealed carry) in Bernalillo County.
    However, when asked about a previous impeachment, the last House… https://t.co/0uF5MnXLbM

— Rep Stefani Lord (@Lord4NM) September 9, 2023

Even some of the anti-gunners think she went too far. Probably because she played their hand too soon.

Suspending concealed carry permits:

Is a bad idea.
    Will not solve anything, may make things worse.
    Is the sort of knee-jerk that only fosters distrust.

The best policy involves bringing responsible gunowners to the table to work towards real solutions. This ain’t one of them https://t.co/bx9dfXwTzM

— Ryan Busse (@ryandbusse) September 9, 2023
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/opponents-prepping-court-challenges-impeachment-after-governor-michelle-lujan-grisham-imposes-emergency-carry-ban/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2023, 05:27:31 PM »
I almost choked on my coffee, she's even got Hogg Boy against this

I support gun safety laws. However, this order from the Governor of New Mexico violates the U.S. Constitution. No state in the union can suspend the federal Constitution. There is no such thing as a state public health emergency exception to the U.S. Constitution. https://t.co/kOhLMtaOl2
    — Ted Lieu (@tedlieu) September 9, 2023

I support gun safety but there is no such thing as a state public health emergency exception to the U.S. Constitution. https://t.co/6GfbOZLc7g
    — David Hogg 🟧 (@davidhogg111) September 9, 2023
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/09/09/even-ted-lieu-has-a-problem-with-nm-govs-gun-order-n2387022
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 08:46:17 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2023, 05:44:19 PM »
I bet she figured she would be getting all kinds of kudos from that crowd. Admittedly, I too am flabbergasted that they are making statements against her.

Though they probably recognize just how bad "The constitution doesn't matter and neither does my oath" sounds to almost everybody.

EDIT: I did notice at the link that they both used identical language, so there is probably some wagon circling going on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2023, 05:57:49 PM »
On a lighter note...

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2023/09/09/based-11-year-old-shoots-home-intruder-n2387020

"And he cried like a little baby."  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2023, 12:11:44 AM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2023, 09:17:24 AM »
I want someone to ask her since Albuquerque's homicide rate was much higher last year why didn't she declare a public health emergency then? Why declare one AFTER the rate drop by a considerable margin?
Yes I know what the answer(s) probably are but I want to see what kind of answer she would come up with.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #286 on: September 10, 2023, 01:55:50 PM »
So twice now, I have tried to order a couple of Uncle Mike's holsters with a magazine pouch, sizes 15 and 16, and Amazon tells me the item cannot be shipped to my delivery location in Washington state.  I have tried ordering them from Amazon, and a couple of other sellers on Amazon and get the same message each time.  I wonder if this somehow ties into the 10 round magazine restriction in Washington state.  Clearly no magazine greater than 10 rounds is part of the order, but is there metadata or text in the item description that is triggering the magazine restriction? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #287 on: September 10, 2023, 07:03:33 PM »
The anti-gunners are trying to distance themselves from the NM governor:

https://twitter.com/wallstreetsilv/status/1700624423961661480
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #288 on: September 12, 2023, 08:16:10 AM »
Looks like Albuquerque-are law enforcement is saying they won't do thing one to enforce her order. The attorney-general for Albuquerque is also pushing back.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2023, 10:53:11 AM »
Her reply

“I don’t need a lecture on constitutionality from Sheriff Allen: what I need is action. What we need is for leaders to stand up for the victims of violent crime. We need law enforcement, district attorneys, public officials, school leaders and state agencies to use every single tool at their disposal to stop this violence. Period.

This is an administration that has treated the gun violence epidemic as the crisis that it is. We’ve passed common-sense gun legislation, including red flag laws, domestic violence protections, a ban on straw purchases, and safe storage laws; dedicated hundreds of millions of dollars to a fund specifically to help law enforcement hire and retain officers; increased penalties for violent offenders and provided massive support to intervention programs.

We’ve given you the tools, Sheriff Allen— now stop being squeamish about using them. I will not back down from doing what’s right and I will always put the safety of the people of New Mexico first.”
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/09/12/new-mexico-sheriff-n74703

Apparently you DO need a lecture on constitutionality
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2023, 02:11:57 PM »
And the ACLU speaks

BREAKING: We are concerned that the governor’s recent use of emergency powers could lead to overzealous policing and senseless incarceration.

See our full statement: https://t.co/TBlNiW528c

— ACLU of New Mexico (@ACLUNM) September 11, 2023

That's their concern

ACLU-NM issues a cowardly statement on the New Mexico Governor’s Executive Order
https://bearingarms.com/ranjit-singh/2023/09/12/aclu-nm-issues-a-cowardly-statement-on-the-new-mexico-governors-executive-order-n74700

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2023, 06:52:22 PM »
Devil's Advocate here.  She probably does have the authority to suspend concealed carry licenses or permits or whatever they call them there.  (that's the problem with needing a permit)  [/devil's advocate]  Since open carry is legal in NM, doing so doesn't mean much; everyone will just open carry.

The police chief, the sheriff, and the AG have all said they will not enforce this.  But we haven't heard from the state police yet.  I suspect they will be happy to enforce it.  Expect a shitshow in the next few days.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #293 on: September 12, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »
Any word on pending litigation/lawsuits?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #294 on: September 12, 2023, 07:36:24 PM »
Any word on pending litigation/lawsuits?

SAF Files the Sixth Lawsuit Challenging Governor Grisham’s Suspension of Second Amendment Rights
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/saf-files-the-sixth-lawsuit-challenging-governor-grishams-suspension-of-second-amendment-rights/

Joining SAF are the New Mexico Shooting Sports Association, Firearms Policy Coalition and a private citizen, Zachary Fort, who resides in Bernalillo County. They are represented by Jordon George of Aragon Moss George Jenkins, LLP who has also filed a motion for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction. The lawsuit and motion were filed in U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico.

In addition to Gov. Lujan Grisham, defendants are Patrick M. Allen, cabinet secretary for the New Mexico Department of Health; Jason R. Bowie, cabinet secretary for the New Mexico Department of Public Safety, and W. Troy Weisler, chief of the New Mexico State Police. They are all sued individually and in their official capacities.

- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2023, 10:25:29 PM »
Devil's Advocate here.  She probably does have the authority to suspend concealed carry licenses or permits or whatever they call them there.  (that's the problem with needing a permit)  [/devil's advocate]  Since open carry is legal in NM, doing so doesn't mean much; everyone will just open carry.

She suspended concealed AND open carry.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #296 on: September 12, 2023, 10:34:53 PM »
“I don’t need a lecture on constitutionality from Sheriff Allen: what I need is action. What we need is for leaders to stand up for the victims of violent crime. We need law enforcement, district attorneys, public officials, school leaders and state agencies to use every single tool at their disposal to stop this violence. Period.

This is an administration that has treated the gun violence epidemic as the crisis that it is. We’ve passed common-sense gun legislation, including red flag laws, domestic violence protections, a ban on straw purchases, and safe storage laws; dedicated hundreds of millions of dollars to a fund specifically to help law enforcement hire and retain officers; increased penalties for violent offenders and provided massive support to intervention programs.

First off, Guv, epidemiology is a medical field, not a criminal justice field. Second, whatever you choose to call violence against the citizenry, calling it "gun" violence is idiotic. Guns don't attack people. Guns don't murder people. PEOPLE attack and murder other people. To whatever extent you have a violence problem in your state, it's not a "gun" violence problem, it's a violent people violence problem.

Deal with it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #297 on: September 12, 2023, 10:45:53 PM »
She suspended concealed AND open carry.
I know she tried to.  I'm saying that suspending carry permits might be within her executive power.  That's the danger of requiring a license or permit to exercise a right; it becomes a privilege.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #298 on: September 12, 2023, 11:45:21 PM »
I know she tried to.  I'm saying that suspending carry permits might be within her executive power.  That's the danger of requiring a license or permit to exercise a right; it becomes a privilege.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #299 on: September 13, 2023, 09:30:06 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes