Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 31348 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #400 on: November 21, 2023, 11:09:52 PM »
What is his status? If he has a green card, he can buy guns. If he doesn't have a green card, technically he's not supposed to touch a firearm.

Then there are states like IL-ANNOY that you aren't supposed to handle firearms OR ammo without the FOID card, regardless of status.  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #401 on: November 22, 2023, 12:06:38 PM »
What is his status? If he has a green card, he can buy guns. If he doesn't have a green card, technically he's not supposed to touch a firearm.

Not really true.  Tourists to the USA can rent guns at a shooting range.

Some can even buy guns.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/quick-reference-sheet-for-non-u.s.-citizens-purchasing-a-firearm.pdf

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2023, 08:19:00 AM »
I'm shocked that the manifesto wasn't suppressed.

The shooter wrote in his notebook that he targeted  “upper class white people” and wanted the attack to spur gun control.

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2023/11/23/louisville-mass-shooter-targeted-upper-class-white-people-to-spur-gun-control-n2390105
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2023, 08:27:32 AM »
I'm shocked that the manifesto wasn't suppressed.

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2023/11/23/louisville-mass-shooter-targeted-upper-class-white-people-to-spur-gun-control-n2390105

Much of that was released within a few days of the shooting including the doing it for gun control bit, difference is they've now released the whole rambling thing.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2023, 02:53:18 PM »
Lefties are trying an attack on the Second Amendment from another angle- ammunition restrictions.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/118/s3223/text

It would require background checks for ammo purchases and restricting the sale to no more than 1000 rounds (or 100 rounds of .50 caliber) within 5 days.

“We have a moral responsibility to treat gun violence in this country like the crisis it is,” said Senator Elizabeth Warren. “The Ammunition Modernization and Monitoring Oversight (AMMO) Act is a common-sense step to restrict ammunition sales, strengthen federal oversight of those sales, and help end the epidemic of gun violence in America.”

I'm sure it would be just as effective as all the other gun control laws are.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2023, 03:01:15 PM »
Lefties are trying an attack on the Second Amendment from another angle- ammunition restrictions.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/118/s3223/text

It would require background checks for ammo purchases and restricting the sale to no more than 1000 rounds (or 100 rounds of .50 caliber) within 5 days.

“We have a moral responsibility to treat gun violence in this country like the crisis it is,” said Senator Elizabeth Warren. “The Ammunition Modernization and Monitoring Oversight (AMMO) Act is a common-sense step to restrict ammunition sales, strengthen federal oversight of those sales, and help end the epidemic of gun violence in America.”

I'm sure it would be just as effective as all the other gun control laws are.

These scare me more than ban talk, because there are a lot of (maybe most?) gunowners that think 1000 rounds is a lot, and who would say, "this is reasonable". Then we're right back on that slippery slope where they'll later say, "500 rounds", then every month, then every year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #406 on: November 24, 2023, 06:36:34 PM »
I haven't made a ammo purchase under 1000rds in like 5 years.

If you buy in cases. And for more than 1 caliber, you hit that easy.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #407 on: November 25, 2023, 09:43:28 AM »
This is just another ploy to make life difficult for law abiding gun owners.  This legislation is not aimed at the bad guys.  Bad guys don't buy ammo in thousand round lots.
While some gun control legislation is virtue signaling to garner votes, most is aimed at disarming law abiding Americans because our congress critter betters are afraid of us. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #408 on: November 25, 2023, 09:48:51 AM »
This is just another ploy to make life difficult for law abiding gun owners.  This legislation is not aimed at the bad guys.  While some gun control legislation is virtue signaling to garner votes, most is aimed at disarming law abiding Americans because our congress critter betters are afraid of us.

I don't know if I recall any mass shooter (maybe the guy in Vegas?) having more than 1000 rounds on them or in their home after a search. That's why I think this is a slippery slope. I'm only being partially jackassy saying this will end up with ten round mags and ten rounds of ammo for the law-abiding.

I'm guessing the gangbangers use very little ammo, mostly carrying whatever fits in the gun, or maybe what came in the gun when they bought it on the street corner. Maybe the switch guys shoot more for fun.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #409 on: November 27, 2023, 05:46:16 PM »
Good news for Maryland: https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4321243-federal-appeals-court-strikes-maryland-handgun-rule/

State police say they will continue to enforce the law anyway at least until the federal court issues a mandate.

Maryland State Police will continue enforcing the state's handgun law for now, despite a federal appeals court ruling that the licensing requirement is unconstitutional.

"At this time, the HQL law remains in effect and there are no immediate changes in the process to purchase a firearm in Maryland," the department wrote in an agency-wide advisory after last week's ruling.

Police in this blue state will continue enforcing ‘draconian’ handgun law ruled unconstitutional by court
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/police-blue-state-continue-enforcing-draconian-handgun-law-ruled-unconstitutional-court
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #410 on: November 29, 2023, 11:35:52 AM »
Wow, 56
Would like to see more info on the 56

BOSTON - Massachusetts lawmakers listened to testimony on 56 bills related to firearms Tuesday as the Senate President has vowed to have a gun reform package on Governor Maura Healey's desk by the end of the session.

The bills ranged from a ban on firearm silencers to more relaxed gun laws, even one bill which would ban carrying a firearm while riding an ATV. The bills also included more language to crack down on so-called ghost guns, untraceable firearms that are made at home.
rgency for a reform package comes amid recent violence, such as the mass shooting which took the lives of 18 people in Lewiston, Maine. It also comes after a Supreme Court decision which struck down a New York state law monitoring where guns are permitted.

Massachusetts' House of Representatives has already passed a gun reform bill. It includes a crackdown on ghost guns and the requirement for some key gun components to be serialized. It also prevents people from carrying guns into someone else's home without their permission and bans the purchase of new AR-style firearms.

The Senate is expected to pass its own gun bill in 2024.
Massachusetts lawmakers hear testimony on 56 bills in push for gun reform
https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/massachusetts-lawmakers-56-firearms-bills-gun-reform/

There are 56 gun bills before the Mass. Legislature. Here's what's next for them.
https://www.wgbh.org/news/politics/2023-11-27/there-are-56-gun-bills-before-the-mass-legislature-heres-whats-next-for-them

Guns and Gadgets is on it

You Can't Make This Up! 56 Firearm Related Bills!! 56!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6lTzlTKMzI

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #411 on: November 29, 2023, 11:51:06 AM »
These scare me more than ban talk, because there are a lot of (maybe most?) gunowners that think 1000 rounds is a lot, and who would say, "this is reasonable". Then we're right back on that slippery slope where they'll later say, "500 rounds", then every month, then every year.
The other side of that is how do they enforce it?  If you buy a 500 round case, do you have to show that you fired them all before you buy more?

It is either a big mess for compliance or something they never look at unless they are searching your house for something else then add it on to the list of charges. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #412 on: November 30, 2023, 01:52:57 PM »
Would ban gas operated guns among other things and includes the usual 10rd mag limit.

In an interview this week with the Portland Press Herald, King said the GOSAFE Act is a more effective approach because gun manufacturers can get around bans on specific weapons by slightly altering guns and building new models. King said the approach taken by the GOSAFE Act took years of work collaborating with Sen. Martin Heinrich, D-New Mexico, the bill’s other primary sponsor, to close loopholes to ensure that gun manufacturers would have to comply.

Sen. King unveils legislation to restrict deadliness of assault weapons
https://www.pressherald.com/2023/11/30/sen-king-unveils-legislation-to-restrict-deadliness-of-assault-weapons/

Democrats introducing bill regulating mechanisms of rapid-firing weapons
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4335307-senate-democrats-bill-regulating-rapid-firing-weapons/

Guns and Gadgets video

BREAKING: LIVE Announcement of Major Gun Control Bill To Ban Gas Operated Rifles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skleUCK1Oso

« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 02:05:18 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #413 on: November 30, 2023, 02:03:43 PM »
    The GOSAFE Act regulates firearms based on the inherently dangerous and unusual lethality of their internal mechanisms, as opposed to focusing on cosmetic features that manufacturers can easily modify.
    If enacted, the bill would regulate the sale, transfer, and manufacture of gas-operated semi-automatic weapons by:
        Establishing a list of prohibited firearms;
        Preventing unlawful modifications of permissible firearms;
        Mandating that future gas-operated designs are approved before manufacture; and
        Preventing unlawful firearm self-assembly and manufacturing.

Exemptions include:

.22 caliber rimfire or less firearms
    Bolt action rifles
    Semi-automatic shotguns
    Recoil-operated handguns
    Any rifle with a permanently fixed magazine of 10 rounds or less
    Any shotgun with a permanently fixed magazine of 10 rounds or less
    Any handgun with a permanently fixed magazine of 15 rounds or less

Protects Americans’ Second Amendment Right

The GOSAFE Act protects Americans’ constitutional right to own a gun based on a firearm’s established use for self-defense, hunting or sporting purposes.
    The GOSAFE Act accomplishes this by including exemptions based on maximum ammunition capacity according to a firearm’s individual class: a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
    This capacity must be “permanently fixed” meaning the firearm cannot accept a detachable, high-capacity magazine that would increase the number of rounds that can be fired before reloading and make reloading easier.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/major-federal-gun-ban-introduced-gosafe-act/

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #414 on: November 30, 2023, 02:20:01 PM »
So yeah.....
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #415 on: November 30, 2023, 02:39:13 PM »
Make the G3 Great Again.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #416 on: November 30, 2023, 03:17:33 PM »
Make the G3 Great Again.

Yep and most PCCs
Pretty much anything blowback, delayed blowback and recoil operated.

He said they worked on this for years. Riiiiight, wink wink
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #417 on: November 30, 2023, 03:21:13 PM »
Would ban gas operated guns among other things and includes the usual 10rd mag limit.

Sen. King unveils legislation to restrict deadliness of assault weapons
https://www.pressherald.com/2023/11/30/sen-king-unveils-legislation-to-restrict-deadliness-of-assault-weapons/

Democrats introducing bill regulating mechanisms of rapid-firing weapons
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4335307-senate-democrats-bill-regulating-rapid-firing-weapons/

Guns and Gadgets video

BREAKING: LIVE Announcement of Major Gun Control Bill To Ban Gas Operated Rifles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skleUCK1Oso

As the attempt to kill guns by a thousand cuts continues. It is always something

bob

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #419 on: November 30, 2023, 03:24:36 PM »
"smooth bore rifle"   ;/
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #420 on: November 30, 2023, 03:46:25 PM »
"smooth bore rifle"   ;/

Well, I guess that means you can have a machine gun with a 200 round drum as long as it's a smoothbore.  =D

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #421 on: November 30, 2023, 04:05:11 PM »
There are a number of issues with that flowchart.  For example, asking if the firearm is gas operated, and if yes, then asking if it is recoil-operated.

Also, the wording of "sale, manufacture and transfer of the firearm is not regulated"  Really?  No 4473?  No background check?  Interstate private-party transfers are OK? Cool.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #422 on: November 30, 2023, 04:27:41 PM »
I missed this

According to a summary of the bill provided by King’s office, magazines must be “permanently fixed, meaning the firearm cannot accept a detachable, high-capacity magazine that would increase the number of rounds that can be fired before reloading and make reloading easier.”
What's Inside the Senate's Latest 'Assault Weapons' Bill? Nothing But Bad News for Gun Owners
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/11/30/assault-weapon-bill-2-n77874
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #423 on: November 30, 2023, 06:16:11 PM »
BTW: What's a breach loading rifle, shotgun, or handgun?

if they exempt breach (breech) and muzzle loading firearms that makes the evil AR-15 and pretty much every other firearm exempt

Yeah, they spend years working on this.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 06:35:49 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #424 on: November 30, 2023, 06:48:23 PM »
And I just noticed they want to make make unlawful modifications illegal as well as make "machine gun" conversion devices which are already illegal illegal

The more you examine this thing the dumber it gets.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 07:06:49 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes