Author Topic: Gun Control Watch  (Read 31395 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Gun Control Watch
« Reply #475 on: February 06, 2024, 02:11:37 PM »
Oddly enough, anti-knife stupidity isn't new at all.  Reading about weapons control laws in the USA in the 1800's... most of them that I can recall were actually focused on banning carrying bowie knives.  Reading RKBA court cases from that era, the most common ruling from courts was the Second Amendment protected only military weapons (muskets, horse pistols, seige guns and so on) but not that dastardy, cowardly carriage of bowie knives, which no self-respecting soldier would use.

But bayonets are okay right?

Yes I know they keep wanting to ban bayonet lug nowadays and the 94-2004 bill did.
You know, to prevent drive by bayonetings  ;/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #476 on: February 06, 2024, 02:12:15 PM »
And in related news

KSP: Grayson Co. murder suspect used samurai sword in deadly attack on three people
https://www.wave3.com/2024/02/06/ksp-grayson-co-murder-suspect-used-samurai-sword-deadly-attack-three-people/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #477 on: February 06, 2024, 04:20:30 PM »
Oddly enough, anti-knife stupidity isn't new at all.  Reading about weapons control laws in the USA in the 1800's... most of them that I can recall were actually focused on banning carrying bowie knives.  Reading RKBA court cases from that era, the most common ruling from courts was the Second Amendment protected only military weapons (muskets, horse pistols, seige guns and so on) but not that dastardy, cowardly carriage of bowie knives, which no self-respecting soldier would use.

From what I have read in the past, Bowie knives were popular among members of Sam Houston's army during the Texas Revolution. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #478 on: February 06, 2024, 04:22:35 PM »
Once of the best improvements Texas made was passing a knife preemption law several years ago and getting rid of restrictions on knives, swords, hatchets, and clubs.  IMO, right up there with Constitutional Carry.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #479 on: February 06, 2024, 05:31:13 PM »
'Assault Weapon' Ban Passes Virginia House
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2024/02/06/assault-weapon-ban-va-n80161

And one moving in Pennsylvania

Pa. House Judiciary Committee advances package of gun laws, including ban on some firearms
https://www.witf.org/2024/01/18/pa-house-judiciary-committee-advances-package-of-gun-laws-including-ban-on-some-firearms/

Guns and Gadgets video on both

ATTENTION: Assault Weapons Ban Moves Forward In 2 States!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TPz8qscoaw
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2024, 08:41:08 PM »
I do believe the Hawai'i Supreme Court has essentially lost its collective mind.

Heller and Bruen be damned, the USSC was wrong and we will prove it via Aloha Spirit.

e.The Aloha Spirit  In Hawaiʻi, the Aloha Spirit inspires constitutional interpretation.  See Sunoco, 153 Hawaiʻi at 363, 537 P.3d at 1210 (Eddins, J., concurring).  When this court exercises “power on
 behalf of the people and in fulfillment of [our] responsibilities, obligations, and service to the people” we “may contemplate and reside with the life force and give consideration to the ‘Aloha Spirit.’”  HRS § 5-7.5(b) (2009).

The spirit of Aloha clashes with a federally-mandated lifestyle that lets citizens walk around with deadly weapons during day-to-day activities. The history of the Hawaiian Islands does not include a society where armed people move about the community to possibly combat the deadly aims of others.  See Haw. Const. art. IX, § 10 (“The law of the splintered paddle . . . shall be a unique and living symbol of the State’s concern for public safety.”). The government’s interest in reducing firearms violence through reasonable weapons regulations has preserved peace and tranquility in Hawaiʻi. 

A free-wheeling right to carry guns in public degrades other constitutional rights. The right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, encompasses a right to freely and safely move in peace and tranquility.  See Haw. Const. art. I, § 2; Haw. Const. art. IX, § 10.  Laws regulating firearms in public preserve ordered liberty and advance these rights.
There is no individual right to keep and bear arms under article I, section 17.  So there is no constitutional right to carry a firearm in public for possible self-defense.

There is much more lunacy within the decision including saying the USSC got it wrong in Bruen and also some words about Miller and Heller. You really should read it for yourself because it will provide a blueprint for liberals to attack gun rights in the coming years, bet on it.

https://law.justia.com/cases/hawaii/supreme-court/2024/scap-22-0000561.html

bob

Pb

• friend
« Reply #481 on: February 07, 2024, 09:42:37 PM »
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the US Supreme Court to do anything about Hawaii ignoring their rulings. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #482 on: February 08, 2024, 04:46:48 PM »
Meanwhile in Washington State

A suburban Seattle gun shop and its former owner will pay $3 million for selling high-capacity ammunition magazines despite a state ban, the Washington attorney general said Tuesday.

Attorney General Bob Ferguson announced the settlement with Federal Way Discount Guns and Mohammed Baghai after a King County judge found last year that the store and former owner were in violation of Washington’s Consumer Protection Act.

The store and Baghai sold thousands of the magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, after the state law banning them went into effect in 2022, Ferguson has said.

Ferguson said the former owner kept selling them even after the state filed a lawsuit. The attorney general described the violations as "egregious and brazen," The Seattle Times reported.

“Federal Way Discount Guns chose to violate a critical law aimed at combating mass shootings,” Ferguson said in a statement. “Washington businesses are following the law and stopped selling high-capacity magazines. This resolution provides accountability for someone who flagrantly violated the law.

WA Gun Store Forced to Pay $3 Million Over Higher-Capacity Magazines
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2024/02/08/wa-gun-store-to-pay-3-million-over-higher-capacity-magazines-n1223746
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #483 on: February 09, 2024, 07:07:01 AM »
Stopped a mass shooting in progress yesterday. Getting some vegan soy poi kombucha at Whole Foods, and a Republican comes through the door waving an AR-14. He screams, "this is MAGA country!" I'm ready for him, though. I had already drawn my Ahola Spirit. Emptied the whole clip into him before he could fire a shot.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #484 on: February 09, 2024, 07:29:49 AM »
Ironic that Aloha shirts = boogaloo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #485 on: February 09, 2024, 07:30:04 AM »
Stopped a mass shooting in progress yesterday. Getting some vegan soy poi kombucha at Whole Foods, and a Republican comes through the door waving an AR-14. He screams, "this is MAGA country!" I'm ready for him, though. I had already drawn my Ahola Spirit. Emptied the whole clip into him before he could fire a shot.
Then the three year old girl in the cart next to you turned to her mom and said: "You see, mother, it is through the use of indigenous faith and the power of positive thinking that we, too, can overcome adversity, climate change, transphobia, and Trumpism.  Would that more would realize the dreadful impact that these fascist obstacles present to Blacks, Latinx, and other POC."  Slowly, all the surviving shoppers at the Whole Foods started to applaud her insight and Perd's bravery.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #486 on: February 09, 2024, 11:01:26 AM »
They would make things easier if they just came out and said "we want to prohibit anything that might be useful to resist tyranny"
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Pb

• friend
« Reply #487 on: February 09, 2024, 12:11:46 PM »
For the last several years various democrats in government have been laughing at the though of us resisting and threatening to nuke us.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2024, 12:54:16 PM »
Perd's Aloha spirit:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #489 on: February 09, 2024, 01:30:50 PM »
Then the three year old girl in the cart next to you turned to her mom and said: "You see, mother, it is through the use of indigenous faith and the power of positive thinking that we, too, can overcome adversity, climate change, transphobia, and Trumpism.  Would that more would realize the dreadful impact that these fascist obstacles present to Blacks, Latinx, and other POC."  Slowly, all the surviving shoppers at the Whole Foods started to applaud her insight and Perd's bravery.

Oh, I didn't realize you were there.

And no, dogmush, that's the gun they used to murder AOC on 6 Jan.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #490 on: February 10, 2024, 11:41:18 AM »
Getting demand congress to ban assault weapons ads and a stay up sign the petition box on YouTube if I turn off my ad blocker
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #491 on: February 10, 2024, 01:19:53 PM »
Me too.  They are spending a lot of money pushing bans.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #492 on: February 10, 2024, 01:30:54 PM »
Me too.  They are spending a lot of money pushing bans.

Assuming YT/Google isn't letting them run rent free as a "community service" which wouldn't surprised me in the least
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #493 on: February 13, 2024, 02:09:24 AM »
Was going to post this as an individual thread, then found this discussion. Soooo...
--------------------------

"Hawaii's Supreme Court Insists
There Is No Individual Right to Arms" -JPFO

"Rejecting a challenge to the state's strict gun laws, the court is openly contemptuous of Second Amendment precedents."

https://jpfo.org/alerts2024/alert20240209.htm

I noted this because a couple of years ago when I was active (as 230RN) on the Hawaiian gun site (2ahawaii.com) i asked for a translation of the Second Amendment into Hawaiian and then back into English.

I noted that they had inserted the word "militia" in the retranslation as follows:

"...the right of the people (militia) to keep and bear arms..."

Just noting this as an illustration of this gratuitous insertion of a word which was not in the original as adopted[.

Now we can argue hither and yon as to what "militia" means in this context and who put it there, but my point is that its insertion implies, to the ordinary Hawaiian, that it strictly pertains to military objectives.

So no wonder the Hawaiian Supreme Court is brain-bound with the notion that the Second Amendment only relates to military matters.

I'm afraid to add that in my experience, the Aloha spirit is:  "Obey, peasant.  Pick them pineapples and be happy."

Hawaii is overwhelmingly infused with the concept of "statism," and G-d help us all.

Regretfully submitted,

Terry, 230N

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 03:23:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #494 on: February 19, 2024, 08:49:08 AM »
Really cool ad by Sig, and I think Everytown just helped them sell a few thousand Treads.  :rofl:

https://twitchy.com/grateful-calvin/2024/02/19/sig-sauer-advertisement-n2393078
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2024, 09:29:20 AM »
Firearms Policy Coalition
@gunpolicy
A bill has been filed in California that would require homeowner's and renter's insurance companies to ask how many guns people own and to report that information to the state: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavC
https://twitter.com/gunpolicy/status/1758917822124630283

California Bill Uses Insurance Companies to Set Up Backdoor Gun Registry
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2024/02/19/california-bill-insurance-companies-gun-registry-n1223867
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2024, 10:17:09 AM »
SB 1160 would require every firearm in the state to be annually registered with the Department of Justice. An annual fee would be deposited into a special fund for the purpose of carrying out the administration and enforcement of the firearm registry. The bill would require the department to establish and maintain a system for the annual registration of firearms and make the registration information available to other law enforcement agencies. SB 1160 also requires that reasonable efforts be made to notify firearms dealers, owners, and the public about registration requirements.
“This statue, which requires gun owners to register each firearm annually, is an important tool to remind all citizens of the civic responsibility that comes with owning a firearm. Indeed, the historic roots for this statue trace back to colonial America and serve as a reminder that with ownership comes responsibility,”
Senator Portantino Introduces Bill Requiring Annual Registration of Firearms
https://sd25.senate.ca.gov/news/2024-02-14/senator-portantino-introduces-bill-requiring-annual-registration-firearms

CA Lawmaker Wants Gun Owners to Register Firearms, Pay Fee Every Year
https://gvwire.com/2024/02/16/ca-lawmaker-wants-gun-owners-to-register-firearms-pay-fee-every-year/

I'm sure the gang bangers will comply just like they every other law.
I'm also sure the usual "monkey see monkey do" effect with other blue states will occur
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2024, 10:55:28 AM »
Senator Portantino Introduces Bill Requiring Annual Registration of Firearms
https://sd25.senate.ca.gov/news/2024-02-14/senator-portantino-introduces-bill-requiring-annual-registration-firearms

CA Lawmaker Wants Gun Owners to Register Firearms, Pay Fee Every Year
https://gvwire.com/2024/02/16/ca-lawmaker-wants-gun-owners-to-register-firearms-pay-fee-every-year/

I'm sure the gang bangers will comply just like they every other law.
I'm also sure the usual "monkey see monkey do" effect with other blue states will occur

If the fee is ay, $100 per gun and the fine is $1000, unless the fine is per unregistered firearm, were I still in CA with the number of guns I had back then, it would be worth my while to ignore the law and just pay the grand if I were caught.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #498 on: February 20, 2024, 03:57:03 PM »
If the fee is ay, $100 per gun and the fine is $1000, unless the fine is per unregistered firearm, were I still in CA with the number of guns I had back then, it would be worth my while to ignore the law and just pay the grand if I were caught.

That is like IL-ANNOY's AWB passed in the "dark of the night" Jan. 2023 with registration to close 1/1/24.
You had to "sign" an affidavit stating that you were registering these firearms and ammo "voluntarily".  The problem was that we were also told that we would be "subject to legal action" if we didn't register these items.
Plain old extortion.
  :facepalm:  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #499 on: February 21, 2024, 07:51:31 AM »
"Get rid of the guns"
How about we get rid of the gangs instead and we leave my rights alone?

Get rid of the guns. In Kansas, Missouri, everywhere. Amend the Constitution and protect our kids.
https://kansasreflector.com/2024/02/20/get-rid-of-the-guns-in-kansas-missouri-everywhere-amend-the-constitution-and-protect-our-kids/
- Calvin and Hobbes