Author Topic: New Guns for 2023  (Read 2405 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: New Guns for 2023
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 09:36:43 AM »
Remington introduces ANOTHER new proprietary cartridge, the 360 Buckhammer

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/01/remington-ammunition-360-buckhammer-cartridge/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

It's basically a straight wall case 1.8" long with a .358" bullet for use in lever guns in states that only allow straight wall cases for hunting. Think either a stretched .357 Maximum or a shortened 360 Nitro Express, the latter originally being an old BP round from the late 1800s. Ballistically it looks just fine for deer at modest ranges, but I predict commercial success on a par with the 375 Winchester, 300 SAUM, 9mm Federal, and Remington's own EtronX rifle.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 10:18:49 AM »

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/01/remington-ammunition-360-buckhammer-cartridge/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

It's basically a straight wall case 1.8" long with a .358" bullet for use in lever guns in states that only allow straight wall cases for hunting. Think either a stretched .357 Maximum or a shortened 360 Nitro Express, the latter originally being an old BP round from the late 1800s. Ballistically it looks just fine for deer at modest ranges, but I predict commercial success on a par with the 375 Winchester, 300 SAUM, 9mm Federal, and Remington's own EtronX rifle.
Looks like it is just competition for the 350 Legend. 

The article mentions a lot of states require straight wall cartridges.  I thought that was only one or two states.  How many states have that requirement? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 10:24:58 AM »
Looks like it is just competition for the 350 Legend. 

The article mentions a lot of states require straight wall cartridges.  I thought that was only one or two states.  How many states have that requirement?

I think Indiana does.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 10:29:33 AM »
I think Indiana does.

I believe Ohio does as well
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 01:31:57 PM »
PSA is coming out with an Stg 44 rifle this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWt_x22nwjk

They said it would come in 4 different calibers.  Has changes:  They said the magazine was redesigned and there is a take down method to swap barrels. 

I am not sure, but I know there was a guy trying to recreate the Stg 44.  Is this that guy or did they buy that design?  He mentioned people who had pre-ordered a rifle from another company would get a rifle with that company's name.  I don't remember the details.  The company I remember was 6 or 7 years ago I think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 03:07:29 PM »

They said it would come in 4 different calibers.  Has changes:  They said the magazine was redesigned and there is a take down method to swap barrels. 

I am not sure, but I know there was a guy trying to recreate the Stg 44.  Is this that guy or did they buy that design?  He mentioned people who had pre-ordered a rifle from another company would get a rifle with that company's name.  I don't remember the details.  The company I remember was 6 or 7 years ago I think.

Dammit. My heritage demands that I buy one of these.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 04:04:58 PM »
There was a company that supposedly planned to make a sort of Bullpup, Topbreak 357 revolver with an enclosed cylinder.  Did they actually bring that thing to SHOT?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 04:14:33 PM »
There was a company that supposedly planned to make a sort of Bullpup, Topbreak 357 revolver with an enclosed cylinder.  Did they actually bring that thing to SHOT?

The Zenk .357.

A quick DuckDuck showed they are at SHOT show, but no actual pictures of the revolver, just renderings.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2023, 04:37:18 PM »
The closest I have seen before is Taylor & Co has a Scoffield model in 44 special.  Not cheap.  I still want one.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 05:29:44 PM »

Everyone that needs an Stg-44 raise your hand!!

(I kid, I kinda want one.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2023, 08:23:14 PM »
I want one in 7.26x39.  Wonder what that makes me?   =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2023, 08:34:12 PM »

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/01/18/360-buckhammer/
I saw this link and looked closer.  This round is a rimmed cartridge made from straightening out a 30-30.  So this is more of a lever action round.  It said Henry is chambering a few models in it. 

180 grain bullet at 2400 fps doesn't sound too bad.  That sounds like a step up from 30-30 as well as 35 Remington. 

Does that compare well with 444 Marlin or others?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:13:23 PM by MechAg94 »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2023, 08:43:30 PM »
Classic Firearms is posting their SHOT show videos on their "outside the warehouse" channel.  1 hour and 20 minutes for part 1 of day one. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMNxkKlrto

On Rumble too.
https://rumble.com/v2615bm-january-17-2023.html

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2023, 11:17:20 PM »
The REAL Underfolder Zastava M70 is Here!
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/01/18/shot-2023-real-underfolder-zastava-m70/

Folding stocks were mentioned previously.  I have never had an underfolder AK, but I always wanted to get one.  I have heard they are overrated and uncomfortable to shoot.  Doesn't stop me from wanting one.  Not sure if Zastava is the best option for something I might not like in the end.  PSA makes one.  Classic Firearms sells a Pioneer Arms model in 5.56 which might be a better shooter (?). 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2023, 07:10:20 AM »
A view through that Holosun Thermal.  The overlay looks pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/TopShotDustin/status/1615879631214907397?s=20&t=zE4nMLNjntJRsznFKe1M8g

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2023, 07:57:16 AM »
A view through that Holosun Thermal.  The overlay looks pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/TopShotDustin/status/1615879631214907397?s=20&t=zE4nMLNjntJRsznFKe1M8g

I'm still blown away at the price. That makes it extremely tempting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2023, 08:07:07 AM »
Hold the phone

B&T is Importing the FEG Dragunov!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xe-SClCfHU
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2023, 08:12:11 AM »
The FN 510 is interesting to me as well.  I’m a big 10MM fan so I’ll have to take a look at that FN version.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2023, 09:02:43 AM »
Hold the phone

~$6000  ???   :O

I guess all those AK forum people who were ticked off at MAC can now get upset with B&T since they aren't selling them for $1500.   =)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2023, 09:19:17 AM »
~$6000  ???   :O

I guess all those AK forum people who were ticked off at MAC can now get upset with B&T since they aren't selling them for $1500.   =)

Hit Gunbroker for the going price on an SVD, and that $6k looks pretty reasonable.  I get my combloc DMR fix with my PSL just fine.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2023, 09:34:22 AM »
Looks like it is just competition for the 350 Legend . . .
And aside from a few thousandths of an inch bullet diameter, the 350 Legend is basically a "magnumized" version (longer case, higher pressure) of the old .351 WSL and it's lesser known predecessor, the .35 WSL.

Hold the phone

With the gap between the front of the trigger guard and the back of the magazine, it looks like it was built on a proper long (PKM type?) action rather than a modified AK action. Wondering how they imported it - I'm not sure about import requirements today, but don't rifles like that need some "domestic content" to be importable? 922(r) and all that nonsense?

People I've spoken to who ought to be in the know (including an armorer for a National Guard rifle team) have said the accuracy of even genuine Soviet Dragunovs was actually "unimpressive" in that most wouldn't hold 2 MOA even with good ammo. $6000 is an awful lot for one of these - were I spending something like that on a new gun, it would probably need two tax stamps - a semi-automatic HKMP5SD clone.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2023, 09:40:20 AM »
With the gap between the front of the trigger guard and the back of the magazine, it looks like it was built on a proper long (PKM type?) action rather than a modified AK action. Wondering how they imported it - I'm not sure about import requirements today, but don't rifles like that need some "domestic content" to be importable? 922(r) and all that nonsense?

People I've spoken to who ought to be in the know (including an armorer for a National Guard rifle team) have said the accuracy of even genuine Soviet Dragunovs was actually "unimpressive" in that most wouldn't hold 2 MOA even with good ammo. $6000 is an awful lot for one of these - were I spending something like that on a new gun, it would probably need two tax stamps - a semi-automatic HKMP5SD clone.
Would it qualify as a sporting rifle being so long and with a relatively low capacity magazine? 

I think you are right on the accuracy.  MAC did a review of the Dragunovs that were imported a year or more ago.  They are not sub MOA, but the combloc collectors still want them. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2023, 09:59:21 AM »

The SVD is it's own firearm.  It has a specific milled receiver that the FEG clones appear to have copied.  It's not a modification of another weapon or type.  On imports the video mentions it ships with an "uninstalled muzzle device".  Without counting parts I'd bet between that, no bayo lug, and small magazines it's allowed to be brought in as a sporting gun.  Thread that flash hider on, and you may need to start counting 922(r) parts.

They are semi-meh.  Remember they are DMR rifles, not Sniper rifles.  With good ammo they are minute of torso out to 800 or so. Remember also the PSO-1 is only a 4 power scope.  I shot a couple mags through an SVD in Iraq, and it was nice enough for a DMR role.  As a lefty I found the ergos to be a hot mess.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 10:46:14 AM by dogmush »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2023, 10:09:01 AM »
Yep, DMR.
All the tests I've seen expect ~2-3 MOA which is fine the the task they were/are made for.

Darn sexy looking rifle though.
Still kicking myself in the butt to this day or not buying the one I had in my hands at a gun show right after they started arriving here and before the import ban. A full on Russian with all accessories in a crate for $550

- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2023, 01:58:47 PM »
I'm still blown away at the price. That makes it extremely tempting.
I thought it was cool too.  Looks like max range is 68m, though, which seems a little tight.