Author Topic: The ATF Pistol Brace Rule  (Read 21034 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: The ATF Pistol Brace Rule
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2023, 10:43:41 AM »
For the reason I am making an SBR, I initially typed in "Forced to because of arbitrary and capricious rulings on the part of the ATF" but remembered I'm supposed to say "All lawful purposes".

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2023, 10:55:22 AM »
Did yours go through?

I'm hearing from some guys the site seems to be experiencing traffic related issues.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2023, 11:17:30 AM »
Did yours go through?

I'm hearing from some guys the site seems to be experiencing traffic related issues.
I submitted both of them last night.  The first one went right through.  The second one had an error when I first tried to submit it but worked the second time around.

I've just got to mail CLEO notifications and fingerprints now.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2023, 07:46:06 PM »
Add another group

Guns & Gadgets 2nd Amendment News
Guns & Gadgets 2nd Amendment News
48 seconds ago
One Update just came in regarding the pistol brace fiasco. Second Amendment Foundation just got word that their members are covered by the injunction in their case as well. Same vagueness applies here that applied to the FPC injunctio
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxF32L6LZtYXh6g8LfV8qF7Z-wmNpBXVEy

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2023, 09:00:47 PM »
Now GOA

ANOTHER Injunction In Pistol Brace Rule Case (GOA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-qU_eglv80
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2023, 09:34:46 PM »
There still seems to be attorney disagreement on if this is just for FPC members in the 5th Circuit or not. Anything like that regarding the other lawsuits? Which court were they presented in?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2023, 09:37:49 PM »
Lets play am I a felon roulette.

I hate the ATF
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2023, 09:39:31 PM »
 =)

[MechAg94], thank you for your generous support.

And we've automatically entered you into our giveaway.

You are now a member of the Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC). Welcome aboard!
Made a donation to GOA also.  Even if it doesn't hold up, they are both spending money trying to stop this stuff.  I give money to SAF every year so I should have one of their cards around somewhere. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2023, 09:41:38 PM »
There still seems to be attorney disagreement on if this is just for FPC members in the 5th Circuit or not. Anything like that regarding the other lawsuits? Which court were they presented in?
I would suggest still removing braces for the time being.  The injunctions are a sign the courts are not taking the ATF's side on this.  Just not sure how long it will take for this to shake out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2023, 08:12:04 AM »
So is today the day the JBT start kicking down doors?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2023, 08:12:45 AM »
Hide your dogs
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2023, 08:17:59 AM »
Hide your dogs

Steve is ready for them.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2023, 10:14:44 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2023, 10:29:43 PM »
Rumor has it only ~250,000 pistol brace stamps have been issued.  That leaves well over 10+ million felons out there….

HankB

• friend
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2023, 07:21:09 AM »
Rumor has it only ~250,000 pistol brace stamps have been issued.  That leaves well over 10+ million felons out there….
Or 10+ million people who all either removed their braces or put on a longer barrel.

I'm sure EVERYONE who bought a then-legal braced firearm got the word of the retroactive reclassification and the BATmen's disavowal of the bureau's multiple previous written findings to the contrary.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2023, 07:47:43 AM »
Or 10+ million people who all either removed their braces or put on a longer barrel.

Geez….you’re no fun…. =(  :laugh:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2023, 08:53:42 AM »
We talked about it in the safety meeting at work yesterday
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2023, 09:03:34 AM »
We talked about it in the safety meeting at work yesterday

In the context of "we have all this large equipment that could have armor welded on."?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2023, 09:29:24 AM »

I'll bet those would be low numbers. With the caveat that (pulling the number out of my ass) 75% of "device owners" don't even know about the rule: Those who know of it likely know by now that you have to remove and destroy the brace* or put the longer barrel on. Either one costs money, either via destroying your property or the expense of fitting a new barrel or buying a new upper. I'd be more inclined to bet on non-compliance either as an FU, or to wait for the lawsuits.

* One could also argue that many owners do in fact think you can just remove the brace, since they watched the clip of the guy on the TV versus reading the documentation.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2023, 10:40:37 AM »
Geez….you’re no fun…. =(  :laugh:
Fun? You want fun?  Consider this: "Nothing's illegal unless you're caught."   >:D

(Random thought: I wonder how many BATmen are assigned to reviewing Youtube and other social media websites, looking for old/current/future violations?)   [tinfoil]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2023, 07:39:10 AM »
The ATF told The Reload on Friday it has received just over a quarter million applications to register pistol-brace-equipped firearms…

That number represents just a fraction of the braced guns believed to have been sold in the decade since the ATF first classified a version as outside the scope of the NFA. In the impact assessment for the rule, the ATF estimated that three to seven million devices exist. However, the Congressional Research Service puts the number much higher at somewhere between 10 and 40 million.

That puts the registration rate for pistol-brace-equipped guns at between .6 percent and eight percent.

Longnecker noted that owners of the affected guns could also comply with the rule by either dismantling the firearms and destroying the braces or turning them over to the ATF. He said the agency does not know how many Americans may have taken those routes.

Massive Noncompliance: ATF Says Only 250,000 Braced Pistol Owners Registered Their Guns
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/massive-noncompliance-atf-says-only-250000-braced-pistol-owners-registered-their-guns/

As a side note I'm somewhat puzzled by why we can't narrow the number sold down to something better than to 3-7 million or even 10-40 million. A spread of 37  million, really? I'm inclined to believe the lower numbers and think the higher numbers is a highly exaggeration BS number for effect. I'm having a hard time believing there could be upwards of 40 million braces out there.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:18:47 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2023, 07:54:24 AM »
. . . I'm having a hard time believing there could be upwards of 40 million braces out there.
Same here. I've seen enough to recognize that they're "in common use" and can readily believe they number well into the millions. But 40 million?

While there's well north of 20 million AR-pattern firearms out there, I'm sure the preponderance are rifles & carbines. Add in other likely candidates for a brace (AKs, Skorpions, B&T, HK, etc.) and I'd still be surprised if the total of braced pistols reached 40 million - that would mean about 1 in 10 of all privately owned firearms was a braced pistol.

I don't think so.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2023, 08:06:27 AM »
No matter which figure you believe it still means the vast majority of braces were not registered.

3M - 8.3% registered
7M - 3.5%
10M - 2.5%
40M - 0.6 %
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2023, 08:54:20 AM »
What catagory were braced pistols transferred under with the 4473s? It could account for not having an accurate count, as well as not having a good number for what stripped lowers get built into.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2023, 09:23:12 AM »
No matter which figure you believe it still means the vast majority of braces were not registered.

3M - 8.3% registered
7M - 3.5%
10M - 2.5%
40M - 0.6 %
Massive non compliance - and IMHO it's not primarily an act of defiance, it's that people don't know that the BATmen went ahead and made a retroactive change to both their interpretation of the law and - seemingly - changed the law itself, non-legislatively. And despite the old adage "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" . . . with all the millions upon millions of words now making up the body of "the law" . . . I'd say it IS an excuse.

Unless all manufacturers provide sales numbers of braces sold (so we can add them up) I don't know how we'd ever come up with even a realistic ballpark estimate of how many are out there. And since braces were not and are not regulated components (like firearm receivers) I don't know if there even ARE comprehensive records to be had.