Author Topic: The ATF Pistol Brace Rule  (Read 21005 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: The ATF Pistol Brace Rule
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2023, 07:59:45 AM »
I'd be really interested in the number of brace Form 1s submitted so far.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2023, 08:08:29 AM »
I'd be really interested in the number of brace Form 1s submitted so far.

It seems like the majority of guntuber* videos are saying to wait or do the "will not comply" thing. I think there are good reasons to wait, which is what I'm doing.

I might do "will not comply". My state will surely refuse to comply with the feds, so then it comes down to how many cops the feds have to go into every gun range in every town in every state looking for non-compliance. I still worry about looking over my shoulder, but if we're doing the math, there's probably less than a 1% chance for most of us to have an ATF guy walk up to us at the range. Even less of a chance to have them come knocking on your door if you're in a state where you can skip the NICS check.

*Obviously the majority of these guys have no legal expertise, but they probably do influence a lot of decisions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2023, 08:19:58 AM »
“Will not comply” doesn’t bother the AFT a bit. Tons of people didn’t and don’t comply with the NFA. They don’t bother chasing everyone down with an illegal machine gun or who has taped a soda bottle to their .22. If not defeated in court (which seems unbelievable in the era of Bruen) - by someone who does the civil disobedience thing instead of the “do not comply” thing - it will just be another add-on charge they hit people with who are having their weapons seized for something else, or something used by snitches to justify their sweetheart plea deals.

For the AFT, lawbreakers are their customers. In some cases more literally, in others more figuratively.

All I can say is that if you do get busted for your illegal arm brace, don’t take the plea deal they offer. This will only be fixed by the courts when someone risks serious jail time in a trial. If you don’t get busted, find someone who is serving as a test case and fund their defense.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2023, 08:26:18 AM »
it will just be another add-on charge they hit people with who are having their weapons seized for something else, or something used by snitches to justify their sweetheart plea deals.

True. We have been in Atlas Shrugged territory on this for more than guns for some time now. We are already every one of us, felons.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2023, 05:51:23 PM »
The NRA just dropped their lawsuit, with co-plaintiffs SB Tactical and 25 states.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nra-25-states-sue-biden-atf-stop-arbitrary-unlawful-pistol-brace-rule

I have to add (again) that I do not like these lawsuits that use disabled veterans and others to push this "they're for the disabled" crap. It's going to come back and bite us in the ass if whichever lawsuit is won on those grounds.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2023, 06:45:45 PM »
At this point, no one should be able deny braces are in common use, for what it is worth.  Probably nothing.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2023, 06:49:12 PM »
What about people that don't keep up with the latest gun news? ATF going to start throwing them in jail after 120 days for not following the news? You know there are some out there unaware that their gun now needs to be registered within 120 days.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2023, 06:51:58 PM »
What about people that don't keep up with the latest gun news? ATF going to start throwing them in jail after 120 days for not following the news?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Unless you are a cop charged with enforcing the law.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2023, 06:54:22 PM »
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Unless you are a cop charged with enforcing the law.

But in this case ignorance of a change of a law
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2023, 06:55:25 PM »
Knock Knock
We changed the law, you're now a felon.
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2023, 08:14:24 PM »
Knock Knock
We changed the law, you're now a felon.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2023, 08:34:36 PM »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2023, 07:36:20 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2023, 07:37:38 AM »
And of this morning

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2023, 05:10:43 PM »
I just saw this, supposedly tweeted from the House Judiciary Committee. I haven't found anything on the MSM sites yet. Nor do I know what it means. I suspect not much.

House Judiciary GOP
@JudiciaryGOP
·
Follow
#BREAKING: The Judiciary Committee just voted to repeal the ATF’s unconstitutional ban on pistol braces.

Big win for the Second Amendment.
11:10 PM · Apr 19, 2023

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/04/20/keith-olbermann-notes-the-second-amendment-doesnt-protect-the-right-to-own-a-firearm/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2023, 06:44:57 PM »
I just saw this, supposedly tweeted from the House Judiciary Committee. I haven't found anything on the MSM sites yet. Nor do I know what it means. I suspect not much.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/04/20/keith-olbermann-notes-the-second-amendment-doesnt-protect-the-right-to-own-a-firearm/

A bit more info:  https://rollcall.com/2023/04/20/house-committee-advances-disapproval-resolution-on-gun-rule/
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2023, 09:43:29 PM »
Interesting testimony by the ATF Director. Thomas Massie is showing him the original brace that the ATF used for the "it's okay to use" rule. This guy should be working at a shoe store somewhere, not directing the ATF.

https://youtu.be/9pveteocUpE

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2023, 09:58:45 PM »
Watched some of the hearing via Twitter and yea, they gave him a hard time but I’m betting nothing is gonna change on the brace front or the searchable records

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2023, 11:25:35 PM »
Interesting testimony by the ATF Director. Thomas Massie is showing him the original brace that the ATF used for the "it's okay to use" rule. This guy should be working at a shoe store somewhere, not directing the ATF.

https://youtu.be/9pveteocUpE

"Eh ... what a maroon."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2023, 08:02:37 AM »
Watched some of the hearing via Twitter and yea, they gave him a hard time but I’m betting nothing is gonna change on the brace front or the searchable records

Yeah, I wouldn't trust anything he said. In that same clip, he said that they "made it easy" on gun owners in that all they had to do was separate the brace from the gun, and that they wouldn't go after anyone who had both a brace an a gun in their home, "other than for intent". Which means that when they want, they will consider "intent" as having a brace and a gun that can take a brace in your home.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2023, 08:20:48 AM »
If you say something that pisses them off, they will find you had intent.

Ref: Matt Hoover and CRS Firearms

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2023, 11:02:25 PM »
Some injunction news coming out today.  Not a blanket injunction so we will see.

HUGE NEWS!! Injunction Granted in Pistol Brace Case...BUT...
Guns & Gadgets 2nd Amendment News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATFmPOQ9-68

Breaking News: Mock Gets Injunction Against Pistol Brace For Plaintiffs
John Crump News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDlgbRNVANk

GOA Ask For A TRO Citing The Mock Injunction and FPC Ask The 5th If All FPC Members Are Covered
John Crump News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-AN9QppfNU

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2023, 10:07:02 AM »
^^^

Every guntube channel seems to have dropped a "devastating to the ATF" video about this in the last 24 hours, but for the life of me (IANAL), I can't see where it's any major win. Personally, I think we're going to need to wait for the lawsuits that drop after the deadline to see if anything good will happen.