Author Topic: The ATF Pistol Brace Rule  (Read 20553 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: The ATF Pistol Brace Rule
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2023, 07:44:22 PM »
Just listened to the video.  Interesting take on it.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2023, 08:38:08 PM »
Didn't catch, if they even mentioned it, that it was the Deputy Dir saying that.

A really short video that may explain it a bit clearer

ALERT! ATF Deputy Director tells GOA: NICS "Pistol Brace" auto-denial triggers ATF "enforcement"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfMjV9uxlPs
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2023, 11:45:27 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2023, 08:20:09 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2023, 11:25:22 AM »
I am intrigued that this hasn't actually been published in the Federal Register yet.  It should have only taken a day or two.....

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2023, 12:58:45 PM »
I am intrigued that this hasn't actually been published in the Federal Register yet.  It should have only taken a day or two.....

Hopefully someone in the ATF chain of command said “what the hell” and put a hold on it…..  [tinfoil]

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2023, 01:56:08 PM »
I dunno, they've been chewing on this long enough if their internal chain of command was going to do that, they would have.  The AG and CinC have directed them to do something about the rash of scary short guns on the YouTubez, so I think it's still coming.

I just find it interesting.  Supposedly the copy we have is the one that was signed by the AG on 13 Jan.  The ATF said they transmitted it to the Government Printing Office last Friday.  The Register is published daily, and normally the GPO doesn't sit on these things, so where's the rule?  Is GPO just being slow?  Did ATF not get it in the email on Friday?

I wouldn't hold my breath for a last minute reprieve, but it's interesting to me that it's delayed.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2023, 02:05:15 PM »
“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”
― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2023, 02:19:59 PM »
Well, they have to publish it for that to work.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2023, 02:53:30 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath for a last minute reprieve, but it's interesting to me that it's delayed.

This.

They were so in a lather about getting this done, but suddenly it's being slowed-walked to the FR? Something is up. I wonder if a bunch of conservative reps beginning to flex their newly-appointed committee chairships might be influencing the process.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2023, 08:41:16 PM »
According to this included in this new rule anything that has been imported that has had a brace put on it will have to be destroyed or surrendered to the ATF

The new ATF brace rule will force the destruction of many imported pistols according to FRAC. Here is a link to FRAC's discovery of this hidden bomb in the new brace rule. 

BREAKING NEWS: New ATF brace rule forces destruction of imported pistols!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK4gJeJ_CI4
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2023, 08:50:20 PM »
That's important nuance that needs to be considered.  I don't have any imported pistols so I wasn't tracking it, but MAC is being a little over the top.

You need to make the rifle 922(r) compliant if you register it. That doesn't  necessarily mean destroy or surrender,  but it may be a challenge to find US made parts for some designs.

Still, that's an important point to remember.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2023, 10:02:06 PM »
Here's The Yankee Marshal basically calling BS on what everyone else is saying about the rule change.

Pistol Brace Registration Truths...and Lies! (and the Liars Telling Them!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiPk8zQvMr8
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2023, 10:47:02 PM »
I, for one, am immensely grateful that our overlords in the BATFE have seen fit to construct a final rule that is so crystal clear that all previous confusion has been totally resolved and eliminated.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2023, 08:36:20 AM »
More from TYM.
Not endorsing anything he says here just passing it along.

GOA's (and Their Paid Shills) Lies About 922R Compliance Exposed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egAbEtRgGNg
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2023, 09:44:22 AM »
He is such an ahole.  Whatever useful infor (and he does have some) his videos contained are buried behind a 5 min "I'm awesome, people I don't like are evil, and you're stupid" intro.

On the subject of the video, GOA is correct that 922(r) applies to SBRs, but not pistols, so there are a number of imported pistols out there that are prohibited from being made into rifles.  Of course it's also prohibited to have an unregistered SBR. 

The trick is in when exactly the rifle was "made". 

If you bought a Skorpion EVO pistol with brace installed, it looks like that is going to be 922(r) non compliant because it was (according to the ATF) a crypto-sbr during it's importation.

If you bought an imported pistol, and installed the brace yourself then You are the person making the crypto-sbr at that time, and the only way to make it 922(r) compliant would be to have swapped out enough of the (unmarked and undated) 922 compliance parts prior to installing the stock.

BUT here's what 922(r) actually says:

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—
(1)the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2)the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

You can't assemble a 9221(r) non-compliant rifle.  It says nothing about possessing one.  So there's no legal reason that you can't register  (if you want) your 922(r) non-compliant rifle, especially if you didn't assemble it.  ATF does say in the final rule (the responding to comments about costs associated with the rule) that "ATF assumes this group may use another scenario, such as destroying the firearm or turning it in to ATF, by using the population derived from bump-stock-type devices as a proxy"  but assuming is not a requirement.  ATF says themselves that the criminal act was the "assembly" into a rifle, not the possession of the rifle.

ATF may decline to register a 922(r) non-compliant rifle, but I'll bet good money they won't because if they don't register the rifle, then everyone that has an imported pistol with a brace that they didn't install now has standing to sue.  That's just my opinion though.

Clear as mud. right?

Also:  https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/search?conditions%5Bpublication_date%5D%5Bgte%5D=12%2F25%2F2022&conditions%5Bterm%5D=stabilizing+brace

Still not there.......

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2023, 05:17:29 PM »
Guns & Gadgets
20 minutes ago
FYI…ATF Final Rule to hit Federal Register on January 31, 2023 meaning 120th day would be Wednesday May 31, 2023.
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxI5wTsIF-wXp6liimyPevZGmxMi6RmlEa
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2023, 09:46:12 PM »
According to Guns & Gadgets the ATF may also be targeting PGO shotguns like the Mossberg Shockwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZd10QDu4Dk
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2023, 08:19:07 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2023, 03:42:01 PM »
120 day clock started
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2023, 09:28:16 PM »
Still undecided if I want to comply or just pull the brace and put back on the pistol tube….

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2023, 10:16:02 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2023, 09:07:15 AM »
As of this week, this is what the AR pistol catalog looks like at Sportsmans Warehouse:

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/handguns/c/cat-modern-sporting-pistols
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2023, 06:36:23 PM »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2023, 11:38:32 PM »
House Republicans pretend they have grown a pair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ncSq6dINE
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama