Author Topic: Ten Percent for the Big Guy  (Read 406 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Ten Percent for the Big Guy
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 05:49:04 PM »
Is there some sort of trip wire in govt regulations that only looks at transactions $50K or above?  I have heard a number of people mentioning this.  Everyone assumes it is some way for Hunter to pay Joe his cut of whatever Hunter is up to.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 06:04:23 PM »
Is there some sort of trip wire in govt regulations that only looks at transactions $50K or above?  I have heard a number of people mentioning this.  Everyone assumes it is some way for Hunter to pay Joe his cut of whatever Hunter is up to.

Unofficially, yes. At least there was in the 1980s.

I had the misfortune to be working for a firm that came under federal DOJ scrutiny for contract fraud. They had both the DOJ Inspector General's office and the FBI working on it. The amount by which the company had probably cheated the federal government was probably in the hundreds of thousands, but the .gov's skilled forensic accountants could only prove an amount of about $48,000.

The lead prosecutor in the office heading up the investigation wanted to drop the case because it was under the $50,000 threshold. The woman who was actually handling the case overcame that when she reminded him that the client agency was ... the DOJ itself. In other words, it was okay to cheat any other agency out of $48,000, but the DOC got interested if you cheated the DOJ out of $48,000.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 06:11:05 PM »
Fiscal shenanigans like this are one of the many ways money gets laundered through to public figures. Most popular seems to be the autobiography. Have a ghost writer string media tripe and a couple of "revelations" together in loose formation, publish on the cheap for a couple bucks a book, price so there's twenty five or thirty bucks to Hip National Bank per copy, then stand back while a couple million copies somehow magically fly off the shelves.

Don't even get me started on speaking fees, especially for spouses/children/relatives. $250k for a 30 minute college or non-profit gig "sponsored" by an unknown individual or Big Corporate donor? Yeah, right. It's straight up money laundering. Running it through a non-profit and calling it a fee just gives it legitimacy.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 09:34:59 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 09:43:36 PM »
What kind of *expletive deleted*ing moron doesn't pay the taxes on his money laundering?  No one would ever have known if he declared it, or ran it through a LLC management company.

This is just insulting.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 12:41:10 AM »
The charities are the real scam.  They pay their executives huge salaries (and of course the executives are the “retired” politician or their wife, kids, etc).  Then they make “donations” to other “charities”.  They all send their money to each other, skimming their administration expenses off the top the whole way.