Author Topic: Driving an RV?  (Read 215 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Driving an RV?
« on: January 18, 2023, 01:04:19 AM »
MIL bought an RV with her husband a couple/three years ago.  She’s living with us, and he has the RV at their home.  While we have managed to stop the divorce (long story but bottom line is her Alzheimer’s has lead to paranoid delusions) she’s not comfortable going on a trip in the RV with him.  But it’s still half hers.  SWMBO wants to take a trip to Yosemite in the summer and use the RV. 

What do I need to know about driving such a vehicle.  28’, self propelled (so not a trailer). Not sure on other details but can find out if it’s helpful.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Driving an RV?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 09:34:23 AM »
Three biggest problems people get into if they've not piloted anything larger than a pickup truck...

1. Turning wide
2. Running into overhangs
3. Backing up

You need to drive it around and get a feel for it. Like, a lot. Maybe some parking lot that's empty on evenings/weekends. Drivers who've not been in a long vehicle aren't used to how wide turns must be to avoid obstacles (curbs, barriers, other cars, people).

Unaware noobs also rarely know the vehicle's height. Yes, you need to know it to the inch... plus six just in case. Wiping a $5000 AC unit off the rooftop really puts a damper on travel plans. Smashing a $20,000 building overhang will ruin your year.

Also, backing up a box body, especially a 28 footer, is one of those things you don't just "know how to do". Even if it has a backup camera, it's still something you need to familiarize yourself with before hitting the open road.

Finally, if it's been sitting three years and/or hasn't been used regularly, it needs to be fully serviced before you start out. That doesn't mean just check the oil and call it good. It means a front-to-back fluid change, examination of belts and hoses, looking at tires for weather cracking, etc. If everything checks out, take a couple of 1-2 hr shakedown drives. If that checks out, a couple of overnighters to check living systems (driveway camping is fine for this).

Brad
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 10:58:41 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 09:37:53 AM »
Definitely get some practice somewhere where you can emulate narrow, windy roads, because there's a lot of that in and around Yosemite. Not trying to scare you - I always saw lots of ginormous RVs there, but I think some areas are challenging. Take your time and use the turnouts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 09:45:03 AM »
Check the regs ahead of the trip. National parks have length limits on roads and they are not all the same. Parking lots frequently have restrictions or designated RV areas also
What we have here is failure to communicate.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 10:31:44 AM »
Great info. 

Brad - the RV has been used a decent amount.  Not sure the last time it was used but it wouldn’t surprise me if her husband has used it for a ski trip in the last month.