Author Topic: Chrome & Firefox search filter buttons not showing  (Read 200 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Chrome & Firefox search filter buttons not showing
« on: January 19, 2023, 12:51:31 PM »
SWMBO is having an issue where her Chrome and Firefox browsers. When searching (typing into the address bar), results used to come with a line of filters buttons at the top of the page labeled ALL, News, Images, Videos, Books, and More. A couple of days ago, her Chrome and Firefox browsers stopped displaying these filter options. The odd thing is, if she goes into Bing, it displays them, but using the baked-in search bar on Chrome and Firefox doesn't.

I've done a fair bit of looking but can't figure out a way to toggle these filter buttons on/off. Suggestions?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Chrome & Firefox search filter buttons not showing
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 12:55:05 PM »
The toolbar settings for her Chrome and Firefox browsers might have changed after they went through and update.  That happens to me from time to time on Firefox and Brave.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 03:29:27 PM »
What version of FF is she using?  I'm on a Win. 7 desktop and the most recent version I have is 109.0 that downloaded a couple of days ago.
I don't use the address bar to search as I use duck-duck-go in a separate search bar.  I don't get any "filters" to show up using the address bar.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 04:29:19 PM »
I wonder if she had some sort of adware search helper installed that was giving her those options.  It isn't something I've noticed before.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 04:46:32 PM »
It's the panel sandwiched between the search field and search results. I think Google refers to them as Result Filters or similar. From what I've learned, it's kinda a spontaneous glitch that seems to correct itself just as spontaneously after a couple of days.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB