Author Topic: Ammon Bundy loses defamation lawsuit  (Read 445 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Ammon Bundy loses defamation lawsuit
« on: July 26, 2023, 07:55:14 AM »
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article277544733.html

A Boise jury awards St. Luke's hospital tens of millions of dollars against Mr. Bundy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ammon Bundy loses defamation lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 08:41:33 AM »
Idaho Statesman.

I was driving home from the gun store that day and passed the hospital. They were standing outside with signs and stuff, not blocking anyone from entering. Especially not EMTs. No one would be crazy enough to block ambulances except for antifa and enviros. Like or hate Bundy, he's not that stupid.

Speaking of, where are the multi-million dollar lawsuits against antifa for actually doing violent protesting? This ridiculously high award won't hold. Especially for the co-defendent, who probably makes like $50K/yr. If this trial were held anywhere but Boise, it would have been a different outcome.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 09:25:37 AM »
Just from reading the linked article - the verdict and damage award smells like fish left out in the sun all day.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 11:15:53 AM »
Just from reading the linked article - the verdict and damage award smells like fish left out in the sun all day.

The damage award, maybe.  But the verdict?  How could it go any other way; Bundy didn't show up and it was a default judgement.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 11:55:59 AM »
The damage award, maybe.  But the verdict?  How could it go any other way; Bundy didn't show up and it was a default judgement.

This is the risk you run when you decide not to show up in court.  I have had a few default judgments over the years when we file a motion for summary judgment and the plaintiff does not show up in court to contest or argue the case.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 01:12:48 PM »
This is the risk you run when you decide not to show up in court.  I have had a few default judgments over the years when we file a motion for summary judgment and the plaintiff does not show up in court to contest or argue the case.

Doing a no-show is a way of "making a statement," I suppose. But the article I read about that decision said that Bundy planned to appeal. What's to appeal? He can't argue that either the judge or the plaintiff's did anything wrong, because they didn't have to do anything. From a practical standpoint, it seems to me that he essentially gave up any right to appeal by not appearing in court to argue his case.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 01:15:50 PM »

Speaking of, where are the multi-million dollar lawsuits against antifa for actually doing violent protesting?

BLM and ANTIFA probably wouldn't even have to show up. The Biden admin will show up for them
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes