Main Forums > The Roundtable

I'm Thinking About a Gucci Glock

(1/3) > >>

Ben:
So now that I've gone from despising Glocks, to carrying the G45 I got a few months ago on the farm nearly every day, I started looking at maybe getting another Glock, but then went down the Gucci Glock rabbit hole.

The Zevs just appear to be way, way overpriced to me for what you get, but I've been doing a lot of research on the Shadow Systems pistols. For the price on the various models, they look to be the same or even less than doing the same mods to a stock Glock.

The only negatives I've seen so far is FTFs and stovepipes in the first few mags, but Shadow Systems documents a 200 round break-in period due to their tight tolerances. That's a negative for a lot of people, but being an old 1911 guy, I have had 500 and more round break-in periods for a few of my high end 1911s before I trusted them, so that's not a dealbreaker to me at all.

Anyway, they make a combat model in the same size as the Glock 45/19X (G17 frame, G19 slide) which I have become a fan of. The local Cabelas has a dozen of their different models in stock right now, so I'm going to go there and at least handle a few of them to see what I think.

dogmush:
Be realistic with yourself about what you want the gun to do.  I went Gucci with a bunch of my 80% glock builds, and while they function well, they didn't turn me into John Wick overnight.

Shadow Systems are nice guns.  One of the guys at my Range has one and it's a solid performer.

You might also look at the War Poet.  https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/war-poet-pistol

I would caution though, as IIRC you are also sinister handed, that the Shadow Systems are built on Gen 3 parts which precludes an ambi slide release.  I don't much care about the mag release, but reloading and dropping the slide with the slide release on the way to building my shooting grip is a lot faster than sling shoting the slide.  The Gen 5 triggers are good enough you don't HAVE to upgrade them either.

My 19X has an SRO ($500), Slide milling($100), an Agency Arms trigger($135) , Radian Afterburner($380), and Talon stickers($15), on top of the $600 I paid for the gun, so I see the attraction of the prebuilt tacti-race guns, but for me I was better off building on my stock Glock.  My 19x (now) outperforms my gen3 based gucci builds, and IMO a Shadow Systems build. So minus the optic, I'm like $200 more than an XR920, but have a comp.  [shrug]

For me, I don't think the prebuilt guns save enough in cost to offset me getting exactly what parts I want, but in the end, there's a lot of nice guns out there, and you won't dislike any of the ~$1000 semi custom Gen3 Glocks, nor will you dislike a factory gun that you build out to your specs.  Pays your money, takes your choice.

Ben:
I won't be making any rash decisions on it, but do want to handle one.

Noted on the slide release. That was actually almost a "no" point for me, but then I started thinking about it, and when I shoot drills, I pretty much always slingshot the slide, especially on the pistols with optics. I mostly use the slide release for "standing in one place and taking my time" shooting. While as a lefty, I always prefer full ambi, I can live without the SR, I think. Mag release would be a different story and a hard "no" if that were righty only. I can manipulate the righty mag release with my left forefinger on most of my guns, but I think I posted that this G45 mag release is just a pain in the ass for me.

Brad Johnson:
Gucci Glock? Nah. I'm waiting for the Ed Brown High Point.

Brad

dogmush:

--- Quote from: Ben on January 19, 2023, 10:50:38 AM ---I won't be making any rash decisions on it, but do want to handle one.

Noted on the slide release. That was actually almost a "no" point for me, but then I started thinking about it, and when I shoot drills, I pretty much always slingshot the slide, especially on the pistols with optics. I mostly use the slide release for "standing in one place and taking my time" shooting. While as a lefty, I always prefer full ambi, I can live without the SR, I think. Mag release would be a different story and a hard "no" if that were righty only. I can manipulate the righty mag release with my left forefinger on most of my guns, but I think I posted that this G45 mag release is just a pain in the ass for me.

--- End quote ---

Gen 3 mag releases are also righty only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version