Author Topic: I'm Thinking About a Gucci Glock  (Read 424 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I'm Thinking About a Gucci Glock
« on: January 19, 2023, 10:19:42 AM »
So now that I've gone from despising Glocks, to carrying the G45 I got a few months ago on the farm nearly every day, I started looking at maybe getting another Glock, but then went down the Gucci Glock rabbit hole.

The Zevs just appear to be way, way overpriced to me for what you get, but I've been doing a lot of research on the Shadow Systems pistols. For the price on the various models, they look to be the same or even less than doing the same mods to a stock Glock.

The only negatives I've seen so far is FTFs and stovepipes in the first few mags, but Shadow Systems documents a 200 round break-in period due to their tight tolerances. That's a negative for a lot of people, but being an old 1911 guy, I have had 500 and more round break-in periods for a few of my high end 1911s before I trusted them, so that's not a dealbreaker to me at all.

Anyway, they make a combat model in the same size as the Glock 45/19X (G17 frame, G19 slide) which I have become a fan of. The local Cabelas has a dozen of their different models in stock right now, so I'm going to go there and at least handle a few of them to see what I think.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: I'm Thinking About a Gucci Glock
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 10:45:07 AM »
Be realistic with yourself about what you want the gun to do.  I went Gucci with a bunch of my 80% glock builds, and while they function well, they didn't turn me into John Wick overnight.

Shadow Systems are nice guns.  One of the guys at my Range has one and it's a solid performer.

You might also look at the War Poet.  https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/war-poet-pistol

I would caution though, as IIRC you are also sinister handed, that the Shadow Systems are built on Gen 3 parts which precludes an ambi slide release.  I don't much care about the mag release, but reloading and dropping the slide with the slide release on the way to building my shooting grip is a lot faster than sling shoting the slide.  The Gen 5 triggers are good enough you don't HAVE to upgrade them either.

My 19X has an SRO ($500), Slide milling($100), an Agency Arms trigger($135) , Radian Afterburner($380), and Talon stickers($15), on top of the $600 I paid for the gun, so I see the attraction of the prebuilt tacti-race guns, but for me I was better off building on my stock Glock.  My 19x (now) outperforms my gen3 based gucci builds, and IMO a Shadow Systems build. So minus the optic, I'm like $200 more than an XR920, but have a comp.  [shrug]

For me, I don't think the prebuilt guns save enough in cost to offset me getting exactly what parts I want, but in the end, there's a lot of nice guns out there, and you won't dislike any of the ~$1000 semi custom Gen3 Glocks, nor will you dislike a factory gun that you build out to your specs.  Pays your money, takes your choice.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 10:50:38 AM »
I won't be making any rash decisions on it, but do want to handle one.

Noted on the slide release. That was actually almost a "no" point for me, but then I started thinking about it, and when I shoot drills, I pretty much always slingshot the slide, especially on the pistols with optics. I mostly use the slide release for "standing in one place and taking my time" shooting. While as a lefty, I always prefer full ambi, I can live without the SR, I think. Mag release would be a different story and a hard "no" if that were righty only. I can manipulate the righty mag release with my left forefinger on most of my guns, but I think I posted that this G45 mag release is just a pain in the ass for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 10:51:53 AM »
Gucci Glock? Nah. I'm waiting for the Ed Brown High Point.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 11:08:03 AM »
I won't be making any rash decisions on it, but do want to handle one.

Noted on the slide release. That was actually almost a "no" point for me, but then I started thinking about it, and when I shoot drills, I pretty much always slingshot the slide, especially on the pistols with optics. I mostly use the slide release for "standing in one place and taking my time" shooting. While as a lefty, I always prefer full ambi, I can live without the SR, I think. Mag release would be a different story and a hard "no" if that were righty only. I can manipulate the righty mag release with my left forefinger on most of my guns, but I think I posted that this G45 mag release is just a pain in the ass for me.

Gen 3 mag releases are also righty only.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »
Gen 3 mag releases are also righty only.

The Shadow Systems guy says they are switchable (1:30 in the video).

https://youtu.be/LaC-5uJxMgg

It seems they are a mix of Gen 3 and Gen 4.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 12:15:47 PM »
^^  I did not know that. Cool.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 04:33:52 PM »
Well, I bought the bling. Came home with the XR920 Combat today. I was waffling between it and the MR920 (G19 equivalent), but I just don't like that frame size anymore. I by no means have ginormous hands, but my pinky keeps looking for a foothold with the MR/G19. The XR grip is just right, and with the magwell off, is easily as concealable. The G19 size grip feels like my P365XL grip, and at that point, I might as well just grab the P365XL.

I am impressed so far. It's 2.5oz lighter than my G45, which you wouldn't think is much, but it's quite noticeable. The Ameriglo sights are of course superior to Glock sights, but the stippling is out of this world. Just very well done. I just now in the backyard put a mag through it and a mag through my G45. It feels at least as good as the G45 to me. I think I posted a while back how surprised I was at how well I shot the G45. The trigger is superior to the G45. I know that Dogmush said earlier that the gen 5 triggers are much improved, but it has been so long since I shot my old gen 2 G23 that I can't compare Glock to Glock. The SS trigger is nicer though. Bonus: it fits perfectly in my G45 holster.

One mag is nowhere near enough for a review, but it still left me with a good impression. I'll need to get the couple hundred break in rounds through it next week.

And at this point, I have to do a tangential rant about Bass Cabelas Pro. What a *expletive deleted*it show. There were no Cabelas in CA, so my first gun buying experience at a Cabelas was here when I first moved up, and when they were still Cabelas (they were just starting the move). It was a pleasant gun buying experience, no different than at a good LGS. Then they slowly started going to long paperwork procedures and trigger locks on everything. Which was the point where I swore them off for guns except for when I had Cabelas bucks on my CC for free or much reduced price guns.

Fast forward to today. My main point (besides the CC points) for going to them is because they had both models I wanted to compare in stock. So I asked to see the XR. After handling it (working around the %^*&$ trigger lock), I ask to see the MR for comparison. The counter drone (none of this is his fault, it's the rules) makes me hand the XR back to him. I figure it's just so he's only handing me one gun at a time. No, he unlocks the gun case, the XR goes back in, the MR comes out, and the case is locked again. We had to go through that three more times as I was comparing grips and feel. When I was at Sportsman's Warehouse a few months ago when I bought my Springfield XDm, the guy hands me the XDm (no trigger lock) and pulls out like four other guns, encouraging me to play with them all and compare them. Just like they do at the LGS.

Then comes checkout. Unlike anywhere else, including other big box stores like Sportsmans Warehouse, where with my concealed permit I'm out the door in ten minutes, at Cabela's the salseman has to doublecheck the form. Then (get this) he had to call on the intercom for a "captain" to come and verify everything. Okay, I get that - all gun stores do "two-step" verification. Then I go to the register. Then as the drone is finishing the paperwork, it gets flagged, because Cabelas now has some new form that needs to be filled out if a carry permit is used for identification (in Idaho, a carry permit means you don't need the NICS check). So apparently they are now tracking purchases where carry permits are used. Then I have to sign the "gun safety pledge". THEN (and again, get this) the drone gets on the intercom and calls for an ADMIRAL to come and finalize all the paperwork. THEN I finally get to pay and leave.

It has gotten so bad there that I don't even want to go through the hassle for a free gun. I need to check if Sportsmans Warehouse lets you use CC points for gun purchases and maybe switch my CC to them and dump the Cabelas card. Holy hell.

I mean, I understand where a gun seller might have rules like that depending on what state they're in, but this is *expletive deleted*ing Idaho. Cabelas has to be the only gun seller in the entire state that pulls this bullshit. It's obviously all Bass Pro related, and I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the near future, they do something like stopping AR sales. Bass Pro are a bunch of commies.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 04:52:41 PM »
Cool.  You will like that gun.  The one I shot was the MR, but it was pretty nice.  Do they sell just the frame?  I shot out one of my P80's and need something to hold all the parts.

Can you just transfer your points to cash on the card?  I would not but up with that level of extra crap for a pistol.  I'm spoiled because my LGS knows me by name and I have his cell number, but there's non of that.  Fill out a 4473, bitch about unconstitutional tax stamps while background clears, pet his pups, and be on my way.

I really feel for the first time gun buyer who now thinks that's what is supposed to happen.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 05:20:03 PM »
Cool.  You will like that gun.  The one I shot was the MR, but it was pretty nice.  Do they sell just the frame?  I shot out one of my P80's and need something to hold all the parts.

Can you just transfer your points to cash on the card?  I would not but up with that level of extra crap for a pistol.  I'm spoiled because my LGS knows me by name and I have his cell number, but there's non of that.  Fill out a 4473, bitch about unconstitutional tax stamps while background clears, pet his pups, and be on my way.

I really feel for the first time gun buyer who now thinks that's what is supposed to happen.

I don't know about frame only - I see nothing on their website.

I actually used all the points left on the card for the XR today. If I could get cash back, I'd certainly take that to my LGS, or if I decide to keep the stupid card, use the points for non-gun stuff, then consider whatever I saved using points to get a free fishing pole or what have you as money towards a new gun at the LGS.

Yeah, at my LGS, I spend more time telling story with the counter guys than the paperwork takes. Sadly, I think Cabelas gets a higher percentage of "new to guns" people than most local stores in the area, including the Sportsmans Warehouse.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 05:32:35 PM »
Does the shadow systems fit your G45 holsters?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 05:45:25 PM »
Does the shadow systems fit your G45 holsters?

Like a glove. The only G45 specific holster I have right now is a Gunfighters OWB. The other holster is that Tier1 I forget the name multigun appendix holster that locks on the TLR1 light. The OWB holster is what I've been wearing around the farm. For citified CC, I need to decide if I want to run the big ass TLR1 on the XR or get a dedicated appendix holster from Tier 1.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 01:24:45 PM »
Well, I was able to do the 200 round break-in at the gun club this morning. I had exactly one FTF, the classic Shadow Systems kind shown on all the videos. A quick tap seated the round. I was shooting both Glock and Pmags (the SS comes with Pmags). When I'm at the range, I usually just load my higher cap mags to 15 rounds, so a 17 rounder gets 15, just for easier counting for me. My last two Pmags had the full 17, and one of them had the FTF after the first round fired. It could be the mag, or it could be the gun, as again, it was the most common one for this pistol, where the round almost makes it into the chamber and hangs, and a quick mag tap or push on the slide fully seats it. So I'll probably do another 200 rounds with fully loaded mags just to be sure before I put it in the carry rotation.

Otherwise, I am REALLY likening it. I had my G45 with me as well and was doing more side by side comparisons. I am definitely more accurate with the XR920. Also, interestingly, it has much, much less of that "plastic pistol vibration" than the G45. It's something I usually don't notice, but it really stood out on the side by side, moreso from me negatively noticing the vibration in the Glock compared to the XR920. The XR920 is lighter, so you would think it would be the opposite, but there it is.

I was actually expecting more FTFs, as all the youtube videos seemed to indicate it's pretty common to get at least several until all the parts work in. I did probably rack the slide and dry fire it a couple hundred times while watching TV, so that might have helped with break in.

Anyway, it was just an absolute pleasure to shoot. I'll probably still carry the G45 around the farm as I consider it a "knock around" gun that I don't care about getting dinged up, but the Shadow Systems is definitely going into the carry rotation.