Author Topic: POINT BLANK – Where Park Glider Meets ATGM  (Read 386 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
POINT BLANK – Where Park Glider Meets ATGM
« on: January 20, 2023, 08:10:32 AM »
Oh crap
Rather interesting X-Wing looking small drone developed by IAI for the battlefield

Now we need a TIE fighter looking version to shot these things down.

POINT BLANK – Where Park Glider Meets ATGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ikN6kQpps
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: POINT BLANK – Where Park Glider Meets ATGM
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 10:53:58 AM »
Am I correct in remembering that decent sized drones need to be registered with the FAA? I'd expect that when (not if...) the "insurrectionist" balloon goes up, we'll see some folks knocking, or kicking, on doors looking for them.
The FAA has a SWAT team, right?
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 11:33:02 AM »
Am I correct in remembering that decent sized drones need to be registered with the FAA?

Anything over nine ounces.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 11:43:56 AM »
I have seen video from Ukraine showing the one that just drops a grenade.  Pretty interesting.  Makes staying hidden critical.  Some decent thermal on these drones that would suck. 

It also sounds like they need some sort of cheap anti-drone system that is automated.  These drones are broadcasting video so I would think that could be detected. 

Can the control signals to these drones be traced back and hit with anti-radiation missiles?  I was thinking the radio signals may not be easy to track.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 09:36:25 AM »
Am I correct in remembering that decent sized drones need to be registered with the FAA? I'd expect that when (not if...) the "insurrectionist" balloon goes up, we'll see some folks knocking, or kicking, on doors looking for them.
The FAA has a SWAT team, right?
I strongly suspect the percentage of people with drones who haven't registered them with the FAA is probably right in line with the people who got CB radios back in the 1970s without getting the (then required) CB radio license from the FCC.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 12:12:53 PM »
If we have money and need a hobby there should be a drone sports league where we drop inert objects on targets. Ukraine has shown that a few drones are way handier than the latest cool varmint rifle.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 01:07:07 PM »
If we have money and need a hobby there should be a drone sports league where we drop inert objects on targets. Ukraine has shown that a few drones are way handier than the latest cool varmint rifle.

There are a few RC plane groups that do that with scale bombers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8RDYDEjbY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 01:38:21 AM »
Small plane chalk bomb dropping:

https://youtu.be/8abS3BkyfAw (0:44)

There are small plane flour bomb dropping contests:

https://youtu.be/ai9yhS1tJLs (3:13)

I saw a vid once where they had devoloped a net-shooting device to bring snoopy drones down.

I dunno.  Seems to me a hefty 3" #4 buck goose load out of a 30" full-choke barrel would be fairly helpful.

Can the control signals to these drones be traced back and hit with anti-radiation missiles?  I was thinking the radio signals may not be easy to track.

I'm not sure what the latest in RDF (Radio Direction FInding) technology can do, but I remember tracking down a rogue CBer with a Loop antenna setup.  But it takes a little time.

Could the control signals somehow be tracked from the Global Positioning System?  Either way, it would have to be done real fast for any effective immediate countermeasures.

Terry. 230RN

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 03:02:20 AM by 230RN »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 09:05:01 AM »
GPS calculation is done locally from satellite signals.  Not really tracable.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?