Author Topic: Monterey Park, California Lunar New Year festival shooting  (Read 1208 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Monterey Park, California Lunar New Year festival shooting
« on: January 22, 2023, 08:15:09 AM »
10 dead, 10 injured.
Suspect, only described as male, still on the loose
Not much more info than so far, stay tuned.

California mass shooting leaves at least 10 dead, others injured at Lunar New Year festival; suspect at large
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-mass-shooting-leaves-10-dead-others-injured-lunar-new-year-festival
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Monterey Park, California Lunar New Year festival shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 08:49:48 AM »
Reports of a "Machine gun"
Speculation on my part but probably a Glock switch

Choi said he was told there was a man with a machine-gun, and believes there shooting took place at a dance club.
He added the man had multiple rounds of ammunition on him and would reload every time he ran out.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11663231/Police-attend-shooting-Los-Angeles-area-multiple-casualties-LA-Times.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 09:18:05 AM »
and believes there shooting took place at a dance club.

Interesting that it was reported as a BALLROOM dance club. Maybe I have a boomer expectation of the demographic that would normally frequent a ballroom dance club, vs some hip hop club that might attract gang activity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 09:45:24 AM »
I would think a ballroom would have a large open area that could be rented out for such occasions.
The Chinese community here usually rents out a similar place here for Luna NY.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 09:56:59 AM »
I would think a ballroom would have a large open area that could be rented out for such occasions.
The Chinese community here usually rents out a similar place here for Luna NY.

Ah, sure - I wasn't thinking of that. The way I read it, it sounded like the dance club was being used as a dance club, but renting the space makes sense.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 10:21:21 AM »
A little bit more info

Now they're saying "Assault rife" and they're looking into whether or not another shooting is connected.
They're also still saying "machine gun". But we all know how often semis are reported as full autos

Suspect still on the loose

Manhunt underway for gunman who shot dead 10 and left 10 hospitalized after opening fire with 'assault-style rifle' inside dance studio with revelers celebrating Chinese Lunar New Year: Cops probe second shooting two miles away
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11663231/Police-attend-shooting-Los-Angeles-area-multiple-casualties-LA-Times.html

« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 10:34:50 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 10:34:33 AM »

Waiting on a news conference
Think, maybe, it can be viewed here

LIVE: 10 dead in Monterey Park mass shooting, police say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJzx5SYl2ZI
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 11:21:48 AM »
Head of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of LA  being interviewed thinks it was a depute between a husband and wife in debt. Not sure if that's speculation on his part or not.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 11:36:36 AM »
News conference is on

Suspect: Asian male

Edit: And that's it for new info.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 11:44:02 AM »
News conference is on

Suspect: Asian male

Edit: And that's it for new info.

So I guess all the tweets with a million likes already saying it was a white conservative egged on by Trump will all be corrected now, amiright?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 11:48:04 AM »
So I guess all the tweets with a million likes already saying it was a white conservative egged on by Trump will all be corrected now, amiright?

White Hispanic Asian
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 11:56:41 AM »
Sheriff says he doesn't "believe it was an "assault rifle"".

More info on the other incident that they think may be connected.

An Asian male walked in another dance hall with a weapon which was then wrested from him, he then fled in  a white van. This occurred shortly after the above shooting. No word on what the weapon was. If true he may have been going for round 2 at another Lunar NY celebration.

Edit: He just said "it was not an assault rifle".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 12:15:39 PM »
Sheriff says he doesn't "believe it was an "assault rifle"".

Edit: He just said "it was not an assault rifle".
Doesn’t matter. It’s already out there and will forever be another mass shooting with an assault rifle.
Facts don’t matter, narrative does.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 01:54:42 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 12:29:37 PM »
Doesn’t matter. It’s already out there and will forever be another miss shooting with an assault rifle.
Facts don’t matter, narrative does.

Yep.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 01:37:35 PM »
There is only the narrative for the truth is the narrative, the narrative is the truth.

LA Mayor
She added that as cops continued to prope ‘whether these murders were motivated by Asian hate, we continue to stand united against all attempts to divide us.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/live/article-11663583/LUNAR-NEW-YEAR-MASSACRE-LIVE-Festivalgoers-screamed-fled-bloodbath-ten-shot-dead.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 02:55:32 PM »
    #Breaking: This is the scene in Torrance where SWAT has a white van surrounded and are telling the driver to roll down his window and throw out his weapon. There is a bullet hole in the windshield and we can’t see anyone moving inside. #FOXLA #MontereyPark #MassShooting @FOXLA pic.twitter.com/cgJjNAbggX
    — Cristy Fajardo (@fajardonews) January 22, 2023

Chinese Lunar New Year massacre suspect as SWAT is locked in stand off with 'white van linked to mass shooting' that left ten dead and ten hospitalized in dance hall bloodbath
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11664139/SWAT-team-locked-standoff-white-van-linked-mass-shooting.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 02:57:08 PM »
 LIVE: Standoff underway in Torrance possibly related to Monterey Park mass shooting suspect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX165mJ1KAA
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 04:04:23 PM »
Body in the van
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 04:15:24 PM »
Now they're moving in on another white van.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2023, 04:23:37 PM »
White male, mullet, t-shirt with sleeves ripped off, backwards baseball cap, and MAGA bumpersticker next to the "If this van's a rockin' " bumpersticker (as will be reported by the MSM by tomorrow).

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2023, 04:23:51 PM »
None of this would have happened if not for the SHOT show last week.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2023, 04:26:05 PM »
None of this would have happened if not for the SHOT show last week.

Close the Shot Show Loophole
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 06:33:53 PM »
Appears he shot himself in the van
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 08:59:32 PM »
72 year man

Oh and he used a "magazine-fed semi automatic assault pistol"

Monterey mass shooter is identified as Huu Can Tran, 72, after he was found slumped over in white van with handgun he used to take his life: Cops reveal weapon used to kill 10 on Chinese Lunar New Year was magazine-fed semi automatic assault pistol
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11664139/SWAT-team-locked-standoff-white-van-linked-mass-shooting.html

« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 09:18:04 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 09:15:55 PM »
Ah, the above article is a bit misleading about the gun found in the van.
The gun he used for the shooting was as I suspected is probably the one taken away from him at the second site.
CNN's article makes more sense

The gun wrestled away from the suspected Monterey Park shooter at a second location Saturday night is a Cobray M11 9mm semi-automatic, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the case.

At a news conference Sunday evening, Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna described the gun as a "magazine-fed, semiautomatic assault pistol" with an extended, large-capacity magazine.

This style of firearm is designed to take 30-round magazines that allow for rapid fire without having to frequently change magazines.

In response to a reporter's question, Luna said: "I believe the weapon ... is not legal to have here in the state of California."
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/los-angeles-mass-shooting-01-22-2023/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes