Author Topic: Monterey Park, California Lunar New Year festival shooting  (Read 1206 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Monterey Park, California Lunar New Year festival shooting
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2023, 07:11:29 AM »
Channel surfing this morning.  Reporter from NBC just said the weapons was a "fully semi automatic assault pistol". 

I've started to hear "assault pistol" used more and more.  Narrative change to go after pistols...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2023, 10:51:37 AM »
California needs to stop drinking the NRA kool-aid and adopt gun control NOW.

literally no gun laws in California SMH
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2023, 11:51:26 AM »
While we're focus on the shooter, his possible motives, and the gun, lets not forget the guy who stopped him from committing a second shooting, Brandon Tsay.

Moment hero bystander, 26, tackled Monterey Park gunman at SECOND dance hall after he killed ten people in jealous rage while 'looking for his wife' before shooting himself in a van
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11666371/Moment-hero-bystander-tackled-Monterey-Park-gunman.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2023, 01:24:11 PM »
While we're focus on the shooter, his possible motives, and the gun, lets not forget the guy who stopped him from committing a second shooting, Brandon Tsay.

Moment hero bystander, 26, tackled Monterey Park gunman at SECOND dance hall after he killed ten people in jealous rage while 'looking for his wife' before shooting himself in a van
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11666371/Moment-hero-bystander-tackled-Monterey-Park-gunman.html

Makes you wonder what charges the DA is trying to figure out to press against the bystander.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2023, 03:37:38 PM »
Death toll at 11 now   :'(
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2023, 08:38:28 PM »
Investigators found a "few items of interest" at the shooter's mobile home — some of which led officials to believe he was "manufacturing homemade firearm suppressors," Luna said. Officials also found "hundreds of rounds of ammunition." The items, which now need to be thoroughly tested, according to the sheriff, were gathered from a search warrant that was executed earlier Monday.
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/monterey-park-california-shooting-01-23-23/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023, 08:45:52 PM »
"Hundreds of rounds of ammunition"
 :rofl:
Sometimes I daydream about the hyperventilating pearl clutchers reporting about my ammo stash.
 :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2023, 11:28:17 AM »
Looks like he had a suppressor on the M11

Video of Brandon Tsay fighting Tran for the gun

https://twitter.com/CatchUpNetwork/status/1617741439248781313

If I ran  a local bar Tsay would get free drinks for life.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:49:09 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2023, 11:34:59 AM »
And twitter puts a age restriction and now requires you to log in right after I posted
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2023, 11:36:19 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2023, 08:14:53 AM »
Now they're saying MAC-10 instead of M-11
And it did have what appears to be a suppressor so expect calls to ban them

During a press conference on Wednesday evening, Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said two weapons that were recovered near the Star Dance Ballroom Studio in Monterey Park, California included a Cobray Company semi-automatic 9mm MAC-10 and a Norinco 7.62 x 25mm pistol.

He used the Norinco on himself in the van.

The weapon also had a modification to its trigger, although it is not clear if the weapon was modified to be fully automatic. It is being tested by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Luna said.

A MAC-10 is typically illegal to own in California, which has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the U.S., especially on "assault weapons." However, a Californian is allowed to legally possess a weapon that is later outlawed.
A resident can, similar to an outlawed weapon, legally keep in their possession any large-capacity magazine if it was obtained before Jan. 1, 2000, Reuters reported.

Expect calls to nullify grandfathering
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2023, 08:16:59 AM »
Now they're saying MAC-10 instead of M-11
And it did have what appears to be a suppressor so expect calls to ban them

He used the Norinco on himself in the van.

Expect calls to nullify grandfathering

This is the only image I could find of the can. It looks homemade maybe?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2023, 08:19:01 AM »

Yeah, thought the same thing
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2023, 09:13:17 AM »

One of the early news reports said when the police searched his home they found materials for making home-made silencers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2023, 07:28:09 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Monterey Park gunman was BANNED from dance studios where massacre unfolded and complained about his 'unfortunate life': Police reveal weapon used to kill 11 people on Lunar New Year
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11680531/Monterey-Park-mass-shooter-banned-dance-studio-killed-11-Lunar-New-Year.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2023, 07:29:13 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2023, 01:06:07 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: Monterey Park gunman was BANNED from dance studios where massacre unfolded and complained about his 'unfortunate life': Police reveal weapon used to kill 11 people on Lunar New Year
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11680531/Monterey-Park-mass-shooter-banned-dance-studio-killed-11-Lunar-New-Year.html

Alright, I've been certified by CNN in gun identification, so let me help you guys out here.

Up top, you got the infamous Browning Superposed, designed by Gustav Browning in 1985, and credited with turning the tide at Lepanto.

The little guy is the Fiat-Daewoo Assault Derringer, AKA the Turkish Tickler. They say in fully-semiautomatic, it will not just deter an assailant, but cause him to flee at high speed, repent of his misdeeds, and turn himself in to the sheriff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2023, 07:35:41 AM »
The hobbyist gunbuilder in me wonders about the concentricity of that homemade suppressor. and is that a grease gun tube?  That's a lot of volume for 9mm.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2023, 08:53:46 AM »
The hobbyist gunbuilder in me wonders about the concentricity of that homemade suppressor. and is that a grease gun tube?  That's a lot of volume for 9mm.

That was my first thought when I saw that suppressor.  Definitely home brew.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.