Author Topic: Trouble in Atlanta over police shooting  (Read 1365 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Trouble in Atlanta over police shooting
« on: January 22, 2023, 09:56:05 AM »
GA State Trooper was "reportedly" shot by an individual and in the ensuring return fire the shooter was killed.

Protestors were angry about the death of 26-year-old Manuel Esteban Paez Teran, who was killed by police after he allegedly refused demands from authorities on Wednesday and fired a gun at state troopers at the site of the new Atlanta Public Safety Training Center.

The activist reportedly identified as a nonbinary person who went by the name Tortuguita ("little turtle" in Spanish) and used they/it pronouns. Protesters carried signs with Tortuguita's name on Saturday.

"An individual, without warning, shot a Georgia State Patrol trooper," Georgia Bureau of Investigations' Michael Register told reporters earlier this week.

The Georgia State Patrol trooper, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, was shot in the abdomen. The law enforcement officer is in stable condition and is recovering from surgery.

Of course protests have to break out.

The Twitter account Scenes from the Atlanta Forest called for a "Night of Rage" to enact "reciprocal violence to be done to the police and their allies," according to a post.
"Consider this a call for reciprocal violence to be done to the police and their allies. On Friday, January 20th, wherever you are, you are invited to participate in a night of rage in order to honor the memory of our fallen comrade," the group wrote on Twitter, in an apparent violation of the platform’s terms and conditions.

Could get interesting down there

Atlanta police arrest 6 in night of chaos after violent protesters lit cop car ablaze, smashed windows
https://www.foxnews.com/us/atlanta-police-arrest-night-chaos-violent-protesters-cop-car-smashed-windows
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
Re: Trouble in Atlanta over police shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 10:21:16 AM »
Is it the contention of the protestors that it's OK to shoot people, including cops, if you are non-binary and use the correct pronouns?

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 10:41:33 AM »
Protestors were angry about the death of 26-year-old Manuel Esteban Paez Teran, who was killed by police after he allegedly refused demands from authorities on Wednesday and fired a gun at state troopers at the site of the new Atlanta Public Safety Training Center.

The activist reportedly identified as a nonbinary person who went by the name Tortuguita ("little turtle" in Spanish) and used they/it pronouns. Protesters carried signs with Tortuguita's name on Saturday.

"An individual, without warning, shot a Georgia State Patrol trooper," Georgia Bureau of Investigations' Michael Register told reporters earlier this week.

The Georgia State Patrol trooper, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, was shot in the abdomen. The law enforcement officer is in stable condition and is recovering from surgery.

I kind of like how the author and/or editor don't give a fig about the pronoun statement in the second sentence, and use "he" in the first sentence.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 10:42:58 AM »
Is it the contention of the protestors that it's OK to shoot people, including cops, if you are non-binary and use the correct pronouns?

Still too early to say for sure if what the police say happened is what happened.
Just not taking sides in that yet.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 11:02:09 AM »
Still too early to say for sure if what the police say happened is what happened.

While we can (and do) want more info on the actual shooting, I can safely refuse to take the sides of the folks who smashed windows of unrelated businesses and set a car on fire.  I feel I have enough info for that.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1617050972907524099?s=20&t=MhfR6aGpjLN71T45KK9FNw

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 11:13:23 AM »
While we can (and do) want more info on the actual shooting, I can safely refuse to take the sides of the folks who smashed windows of unrelated businesses and set a car on fire.  I feel I have enough info for that.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1617050972907524099?s=20&t=MhfR6aGpjLN71T45KK9FNw

Absolutely.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 11:17:11 AM »
More info on the protests and the incident that sparked it.

Tortuguita was killed on Wednesday as authorities cleared a small group of protesters from the site of a planned Atlanta-area public safety training center that activists have dubbed 'Cop City.'

During the multi-agency operation on Wednesday, the GBI said approximately 25 campsites were located and removed from the site. Seven others were arrested and charged with domestic terrorism and criminal trespass, with additional charges pending

Teran was shot dead after allegedly opening fire at a Georgia State Patrol trooper during a 'clearing operation' of the so-called autonomous zone at the site of a future $90 million center.

Since June 2021, Antifa and other far-left extremists from across the US have occupied the area to prevent the construction of what they've dubbed 'cop city.'

The Georgia Bureau of Investigations (GBI) said a Georgia State Patrol trooper was shot and severely injured during the raid by a man camped in the area. Officers returned fire and killed Teran, who brandished a pistol.

Lots of photos at the link

Antifa protesters mimic George Floyd screaming 'I can't breathe' as they're pinned down and arrested in Atlanta: Violent group torches a police car and pelts building with fireworks over activist's 'Cop City' shooting death
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11662679/Chaos-Atlanta-Antifa-rioters-torch-cars-set-fireworks-outside-Police-Foundation-building.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 11:18:19 AM »

Oh, please. They shot another unarmed black man!

(who had a gun)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »
Oh, please. They shot another unarmed black man!

(who had a gun)

From the photo at the Daily Mail link two posts up he was white and/or Hispanic

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 11:25:47 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 11:28:53 AM »
Mostly peaceful

Also noticed some reports saying he pointed a gun at an officer with no mention of the officer that was shot.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 11:45:35 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 12:16:44 PM »
I believe the hippies have been living in these woods for months to protest the building of the police center. A convenient forest fire would advance several goals.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 12:25:54 PM »
From the photo at the Daily Mail link two posts up he was white and/or Hispanic

You don't know what race he identifies with, bigot!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 01:16:06 PM »

The Georgia State Patrol might want to reexamine what they issue for ballistic protection.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 01:34:32 PM »
Probably went under the vest.  Most body armor doesn't go all that far down, especially if it was a plate carrier.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 08:05:41 AM »
    Six people were arrested after a peaceful protest over a proposed police training ground turned violent in Atlanta, police said. https://t.co/7LDbaelFxK pic.twitter.com/gXpRjNq5im

— ABC News (@ABC) January 22, 2023

Lets just totally ignore the fact they were calling for violence before the protests even started.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 11:07:02 AM »
Sounds like the police took out the trash.   :police:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 04:57:32 PM »
A little info on the peaceful protestors. At least the few that were arrested:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/01/23/guess-what-the-antifa-rioters-arrested-in-atlanta-all-have-in-common/

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2023, 05:30:45 PM »
guess-what-the-antifa-rioters-arrested-in-atlanta-all-have-in-common

An extreme distaste for personal hygiene?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2023, 06:59:54 PM »
If you venture into Atlanta these days, particularly the gentrified areas full of the compassionate white liberals, you’ll find a shitton of BLM/Hands Up Don’t Shoot and so forth signs in the yards meanwhile every parking lot is covered in signs saying “Not responsible for theft from vehicles make sure no valuables are left in your car”

Interesting dichotomy, that.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2023, 08:17:30 PM »
" Global diversity expert"

EXCLUSIVE - REVEALED: Atlanta Antifa terror suspect worked as a production assistant for CNN and is daughter of UK Foreign Office consultant and New Jersey-based Chinese pharma tycoon
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11667905/Antifa-terror-suspect-daughter-Pharma-China-giant-British-Foreign-Office-consultant.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2023, 08:24:27 PM »

EXCLUSIVE - REVEALED: Atlanta Antifa terror suspect worked as a production assistant for CNN and is daughter of UK Foreign Office consultant and New Jersey-based Chinese pharma tycoon
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11667905/Antifa-terror-suspect-daughter-Pharma-China-giant-British-Foreign-Office-consultant.html

Those MAGA extremists really go for the deep cover sort of thing, don't they?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2023, 08:54:44 PM »

Teresa Yue Shen, 31, was one of seven activists arrested at the future $90million Atlanta Public Safety Training Centre in a 'clearing operation' on last week. Mental health consultant Shen...

"Mental health consultant"   ;/

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2023, 09:45:00 PM »
Things haven't exactly calmed down there over the training center.

Protests at a proposed police training center in Atlanta became fiery Sunday night as nearly 150 rioters set construction vehicles aflame and threw rocks, sticks and even Molotov cocktails at police.

The site of Atlanta's future Public Safety Training Facility — dubbed Cop City by those who protest its development — is now under lockdown as crews work to put out smoke and flames.

Officials say at least one construction vehicle was set on fire during the protests Sunday night, and video posted online shows a police surveillance tower on fire.

Police say the protest has since been contained, though many of the protesters scattered back into the woods, where gunshots were heard, according to FOX 5 Atlanta.

BREAKING NEWS: Gunshots ring out as protesters throw Molotov cocktails and torch a police surveillance tower and construction vehicles at 'Cop City' site in Atlanta
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11824357/Gunshots-ring-protesters-throw-Molotov-cocktails-Cop-City-site-Atlanta.html
- Calvin and Hobbes