Author Topic: “Law” is Not Determinative of Conduct  (Read 11400 times)

Bosco1

Re: “Law” is Not Determinative of Conduct
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2023, 05:44:52 PM »
No problem. Other than you've already called us fools and told us it's impossible for you to write it in simpler terms than in your OP. But if you can dumb it down for us simpletons, I'll certainly give it a read.
Really appreciate you posting my 2018 writing. It is totally beautiful... Let it be enough to indicate what I am about...

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2023, 06:35:30 PM »
As a rule, nobody here agrees with anybody. We like it that way ... it keeps life interesting.
W R O N G
R
O
N
G
 =D
7-11 was a part time job.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2023, 07:07:14 PM »
So, if absolutely everything I say is demonstrably wrong, then, if you are so precise, demonstrate how and why something I said is wrong!

The blank slate, tabula rasa, has turned out to not really be true. There are aspects of our behaviors, tendencies and abilities that are hardwired. Some parts of our psychological makeup are more malleable than others, and not everyone has the same starting psychological makeup.   

The wiki article on tabula rasa is good enough to show its weaknesses as a theory. It has footnotes and links.

A philosophy or ideology that includes the unproven presuppositional belief that humans start as blank slates is building on a very shaky foundation, in my humble opinion.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bosco1

« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2023, 07:23:23 PM »
The blank slate, tabula rasa, has turned out to not really be true. There are aspects of our behaviors, tendencies and abilities that are hardwired. Some parts of our psychological makeup are more malleable than others, and not everyone has the same starting psychological makeup.   

The wiki article on tabula rasa is good enough to show its weaknesses as a theory. It has footnotes and links.

A philosophy or ideology that includes the unproven presuppositional belief that humans start as blank slates is building on a very shaky foundation, in my humble opinion.
I did not at all build my OP on the notion of blank slate. That just came up as an aside during member interaction.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2023, 10:31:45 PM »
WTF did I stumble into now? :facepalm: :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2023, 10:41:36 PM »

Wipe your feet and take a shower after you leave.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #331 on: January 27, 2023, 11:29:31 PM »

You stumbled into a mish mash of posts where one apparently very verbose individual (Bosco1) has decided he must be the one to point out some philosophical discoveries he made in the writings of the dubiously qualified philospher J. P. Sartre (which see) on laws and human behavior.

His escalating frustration with our inability to understand or accept his rather convoluted language and laud him as some kind of philosphical Pulitzer Prize Winner has made him decay into insulting remarks about our intelligence and inability to understand his rather prolix pronouncements.

All credit to cordex for attempting to clarify his, Bosco1's, unending muddy "thinking" and terrible "writing" to extract any value in what he, Bosco1, is attempting to convey.

It is time for cordex to accept honorable defeat in the fact that there is very little in Bosco1's output to justify umpteen pages of discourse (which has had some entertaining aspects) and he should close the thread with thanks to Bosco1 for the opportunity to review his insights.

That's a big nutshell, but there it is.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:54:30 PM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 27, 2023, 11:40:07 PM »
Right, well, back to my pain killers and anime then!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #333 on: January 27, 2023, 11:51:10 PM »
Right, well, back to my pain killers and anime then!

Good move.  And so should we all return to our prior activities, Amen.

Bosco1

« Reply #334 on: January 28, 2023, 02:29:53 AM »
You stumbled into a mish mash of posts where one apparently very verbose individual (Bosco1) has decided he must be the one to point out some philosophical discoveries he made in the writings of the dubiously qualified philospher J. P. Sartre (which see) on laws and human behavior.

His escalating frustration with our inability to understand or accept his rather convoluted language and laud him as some kind of philosphical Pulitzer Prize Winner has made him decay into insulting remarks about our intelligence and inability to understand his rather prolix pronouncements.

All credit to cordex for attempting to clarify his, Bosco1's, unending muddy "thinking" and terrible "writing" to extract any value in what he, Bosco1, is attempting to convey.

It is time for cordex to accept honorable defeat in the fact that there is very little in Bosco1's output to justify umpteen pages of discourse (which has had some entertaining aspects) and he should close the thread with thanks to Bosco1 for the opportunity to review his insights.

That's a big nutshell, but there it is.

Terry, 230RN
A multiplicity of freaks here have extensively radically insulted me and, in fact, conducted themselves in a totally ignorant fashion, by claiming that Sartre's writing is inacceptable because he once communicated with some communistic persons in Cuba. So, don't make it sound as if I am characterizing these several members as stuck on illogical/stupid just out of the blue for no valid reason!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 28, 2023, 02:36:43 AM »
A multiplicity of freaks here...

Have I been insulted? I think I may have been insulted! I don't recall urinating in the poster's toasted oat breakfast cereal...
MOLON LABE!

Bosco1

« Reply #336 on: January 28, 2023, 03:22:36 AM »
Have I been insulted? I think I may have been insulted! I don't recall urinating in the poster's toasted oat breakfast cereal...
No Sir you have not been insulted unless you are among those here who rail against persons and not the person's position.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #337 on: January 28, 2023, 07:14:11 AM »
A summary of the 14 pages:

Bosco1: The law does not determine or cause humans to act. Each human makes a choice to act or not internally. Some people think the law does cause action, but they are wrong.

APS: No *expletive deleted*it the law doesn't cause action, humans have free will. Also no one really thinks it does, despite idioms that may have been used in your trials.

Bosco1: you are radically ignorant.

And now you're up to date HeroHog.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #338 on: January 28, 2023, 08:12:48 AM »
A multiplicity of freaks here have extensively radically insulted me and, in fact, conducted themselves in a totally ignorant fashion, by claiming that Sartre's writing is inacceptable because he once communicated with some communistic persons in Cuba. So, don't make it sound as if I am characterizing these several members as stuck on illogical/stupid just out of the blue for no valid reason!

Your variable IQ seems to be stuck in low gear.

Also, note that even though you have broken the laws of this forum, you have not yet been punished.

Also, Ad Hominem.

Also,  https://youtu.be/VSKn8RlD7Is
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bosco1

« Reply #339 on: January 28, 2023, 08:57:39 AM »
A summary of the 14 pages:

Bosco1: The law does not determine or cause humans to act. Each human makes a choice to act or not internally. Some people think the law does cause action, but they are wrong.

APS: No *expletive deleted*it the law doesn't cause action, humans have free will. Also no one really thinks it does, despite idioms that may have been used in your trials.

Bosco1: you are radically ignorant.

And now you're up to date HeroHog.
That is an unfair characterization of what has happened here. Certain persons have acted ignorantly and very insultingly!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #340 on: January 28, 2023, 08:59:58 AM »
That is an unfair characterization of what has happened here. Certain persons have acted ignorantly and very insultingly!

Yes, but for the most part we haven't called you out on it.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #341 on: January 28, 2023, 09:44:49 AM »
If you call someone ignorant for having a different opinion expect some push back in return, it's human nature. You know, that thing you claim doesn't exist.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #342 on: January 28, 2023, 09:53:27 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 12:59:54 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2023, 09:57:38 AM »

This forum been around for a good while.  Suggest you peruse whatever else is going on here in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2023, 11:17:31 AM »
This forum been around for a good while.  Suggest you peruse whatever else is going on here in.

Perish the thought.  This nonsense shows a good reason why political discussions (if that's what this is) are not permitted on some boards.  I realize this thread has increased the hit count or rate, but one of the downsides is that prospective new members may consider APS as a bunch of idiots on account of this thread --entertaining as it may be to some participants.

Not good publicity for APS, IMO.

However, I figure if the mods and admins allow it to go on, I might as well join in the fun.

Bosco1:
A multiplicity of freaks here have extensively radically insulted me and, in fact, conducted themselves in a totally ignorant fashion, by claiming that Sartre's writing is inacceptable because he once communicated with some communistic persons in Cuba.

I don't see a cause-effect relationship there, please explain why one (if it occured) could cause the other.

I missed wherever that supposed relationship was brought up.  Where did this allegation occur?

Terry, 230RN

Bosco1

« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2023, 02:15:06 PM »
Perish the thought.  This nonsense shows a good reason why political discussions (if that's what this is) are not permitted on some boards.  I realize this thread has increased the hit count or rate, but one of the downsides is that prospective new members may consider APS as a bunch of idiots on account of this thread --entertaining as it may be to some participants.

Not good publicity for APS, IMO.

However, I figure if the mods and admins allow it to go on, I might as well join in the fun.

Bosco1:
I don't see a cause-effect relationship there, please explain why one (if it occured) could cause the other.

I missed wherever that supposed relationship was brought up.  Where did this allegation occur?

Terry, 230RN
The one caused the other via the hateful bigoted mentalities of the members holding that fallacious position.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2023, 02:33:33 PM »
The one caused the other via the hateful bigoted mentalities of the members holding that fallacious position.

IN YOUR OPINION
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2023, 02:35:21 PM »

You just called most if not every member of this forum a hateful bigot.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 02:53:41 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2023, 02:39:12 PM »
None are determinative of behavior though.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2023, 02:45:15 PM »
MOLON LABE!