Author Topic: And another California shooting  (Read 651 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
And another California shooting
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:07:26 AM »
Here we go again
At least 7 dead.
Suspect in custody, believed to be a worker of the mushroom farm

At least seven people were killed and one critically wounded in shootings at two locations Monday in Half Moon Bay, California, officials said. A 67-year-old suspect is in custody and a motive is not known.
One shooting took place at a mushroom farm and another near a trucking facility, approximately two miles from the farm, the San Mateo County sheriff said.

Northern California shooting leaves at least 7 dead, officials say: suspect in custody
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-shooting-leaves-multiple-victims-authoritie-say

7 killed in shooting in Half Moon Bay, California
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/half-moon-bay-california-shooting-1-24-23/index.html

Biden lost no time in calling for an "assault weapons" ban.

“Even as we await further details on these shootings, we know the scourge of gun violence across America requires stronger action. I once again urge both chambers of Congress to act quickly and deliver this Assault Weapons Ban to my desk, and take action to keep American communities, schools, workplaces, and homes safe,” Biden added.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: And another California shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 09:21:17 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 10:20:57 AM »
These aholes are copying each other.  There is probably going to be one or two more in the next few days as the various bitter nuts decide they want to be famous.

If the media and government wouldn't' make theses scum famous, there would be less of them.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 11:29:35 AM »
These aholes are copying each other.  There is probably going to be one or two more in the next few days as the various bitter nuts decide they want to be famous.

If the media and government wouldn't' make theses scum famous, there would be less of them.
Which is EXACTLY why government and the media ARE going to great pains to make them famous.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 11:46:05 AM »
Such a tragic coincidence.
In the last several months we have seen strong pushes for more draconian gun control and lo and behold another tragic mass shooting occurs just as the push reaches a fever pitch.  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 05:14:23 PM »
Such a tragic coincidence.
In the last several months we have seen strong pushes for more draconian gun control and lo and behold another tragic mass shooting occurs just as the push reaches a fever pitch.  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Do we think They have something to do with shootings that don't conform to the Crazy White Boy / MAGA extremist narrative?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 06:55:46 PM »
I don't think the media figures are so stupid they don't realize that they are inspiring copycats.  And they do it anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 09:50:04 PM »
I don't think the media figures are so stupid they don't realize that they are inspiring copycats.  And they do it anyway.

The notion of a causal link between media coverage and mass murder has been discussed widely enough that some of those in charge of various media outlets must know by now. I would be very surprised if any of the top brass at the major outlets didn't know about it, and I imagine most of them believe it's true. I think they just care about ratings more. Or maybe they care more about using the images and stories of the madmen to inspire panic, and anti-gun sentiment.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JN01

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 12:35:02 AM »
Trying to figure out how Newsome has manipulated data ("California [has a] 37% lower gun death rate than the rest of the nation").  Hard to believe that CA is safer than much of the country.

How does the CA murder rate (rather than gun death rate) compare to the US rate?

What is the murder rate of LA County? Does the lower rate in Northern CA dilute the LA County rate to lower the overall state rate?

I know he is lying, I'm just curious as to how he is lying.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 02:00:01 AM »
Trying to figure out how Newsome has manipulated data ("California [has a] 37% lower gun death rate than the rest of the nation").  Hard to believe that CA is safer than much of the country.

How does the CA murder rate (rather than gun death rate) compare to the US rate?

What is the murder rate of LA County? Does the lower rate in Northern CA dilute the LA County rate to lower the overall state rate?

I know he is lying, I'm just curious as to how he is lying.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-leader-in-gun-control-efforts-california-confronts-its-limits/ar-AA16HWui

Luna has said one key question is when Tran bought the weapons and whether that would have run afoul of the state’s evolving gun laws at the time. But he also said Tran had made modifications to the MAC-10 and had used a high-capacity magazine, which would violate state law prohibiting magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

In addition to the rifle, police searching the gunman’s home found hundreds of rounds of ammunition and materials used to manufacture homemade firearm suppressors, Luna said.

The gun that the attacker was wielding when he went to a second dance studio appeared to be outfitted with a suppressor, said Adam Winkler, a professor at UCLA School of Law and an expert on the Second Amendment who reviewed a screenshot of security footage from that location.

“You couldn’t buy that in California and couldn’t lawfully modify your weapon in that way,” Winkler said.

In other words -- multiple laws were broken (aside from the law against murder), but the response of California politicians is that they need MORE laws.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 01:40:29 PM »
I get that, criminals don't abide by gun laws. There have been no credible scientific studies showing a causal link between gun laws and crime rates.

I'm wondering how Bloomberg or whomever Newsome got his 37% stat from manipulated the facts to come up with that figure. Maybe they flat out made it up.

Of course the gun death rate includes suicide which makes up over half the figure-  gun suicides could have fallen while gun homicides stayed the same.  Also, if non-gun homicides increased, the overall murder rate may not have had the same decline as the gun death rate.

It's hard to find up to date relevant data to make an apples to apples comparison to fact check these clowns.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 02:28:29 PM »
Na, it's a true figure, give or take.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/31/us/california-gun-laws.html

It's a rate, so CA's huge population helps them out, but the reality is that CA's gun laws have significantly lowered the rate of firearms ownership among the law abiding population.  Less prevalence of gun ownership means there are less guns around to just be grabbed for crimes of opportunity or suicide.  Suicide is generally half(ish) of firearms deaths, so shifting a significant number of suicides out of the firearms bracket will show a pretty significant decrease in the rate of firearms deaths.

Switch from "Firearms deaths" to "violent Crime" and CA jumps into the top 15.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/13/most-dangerous-states-in-america-violent-crime-murder-rate/40968963/

CA does have a pretty low suicide rate: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/suicide-mortality/suicide.htm  A truth that we may have to face (may.  I haven't done the research, but it's a logical hypothesis) is that tough gun laws do save lives because it pushes folks that might otherwise shoot themselves (a pretty lethal form of suicide) to other methods that have higher survivability.

So not "twisting data" so much as picking the metric that makes him look good, and skipping the fact that life is not a single variable problem.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 05:50:35 PM »

So not "twisting data" so much as picking the metric that makes him look good, and skipping the fact that life is not a single variable problem.

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a thorough read later. Tha gun control gang has a history of cherry picking data and not providing the whole picture.

Of course, even if what they claim is true, it doesn't justify our individual, constitutionally protected rights being restricted.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:53:47 PM by JN01 »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2023, 10:37:22 AM »
I did some reading about gun control.  The RAND Corporation says there is limited data (literature review) that some gun control laws may reduce violence a bit:

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy/key-findings/what-science-tells-us-about-the-effects-of-gun-policies.html

And then I read an interesting Reason article saying RAND's lit review shows no such thing. (Basically Reason is saying that if you look at a huge number of studies studying a huge number of variables, chance alone will give you false positives about 5% of the time... and the small number "positives" RAND pulled out of the studies are even lower than you would have expected by chance alone.  Reason also said that random chance alone would have produced some studies saying gun ownership decreases crime (even if the result was false) but absolutely none of these were published... making them suspect only selected results were published.)

https://reason.com/video/2022/03/31/do-studies-show-gun-control-works-no/

I would like to be able to evaluate these claims.  Cause I frankly don't know.