Author Topic: John Cleese on wokism  (Read 587 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
John Cleese on wokism
« on: December 18, 2022, 11:26:22 AM »
https://reason.com/2022/12/18/john-cleese-on-how-wokeness-smothers-creativity/

John Cleese is not (surprise, surprise) a fan of wokism.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: John Cleese on wokism
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 03:54:20 PM »
Standing his ground

"Monty Python" star and British comedy legend John Cleese has lashed out at the press in recent days for allegedly reporting that he will be removing a politically incorrect scene from future adaptations of his movie "Life of Brian" to avoiding offending the trans community.

In recent statements on Twitter, Cleese claimed that a reporter had "misreported me" when claiming the entertainer was planning to cut the famous "Loretta" scene for an upcoming stage adaptation of the classic religious satire film.

He corrected the reports, claiming that he was merely illustrating what others had advised him to do with the potentially controversial scene. He declared he has "no intention" of removing it.

The scene in question features a male character from the 1979 British comedy telling his associates that he wants to be woman named "Loretta" and demands the right to bear a child. Flabbergasted, Cleese’s character in the film tells the man that the notion is ridiculous, while another male colleague offers that they all merely advocate for his right to childbearing as a symbolic way of standing up to "oppression."

That scene has Literally  become reality

https://www.foxnews.com/media/monty-python-star-no-wont-cut-life-brian-scene-critics-have-hit-transphobic-stage-version
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 07:16:27 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgp9MPLEAqA

"It's symbolic of his struggle against reality."

^^^ That seems to sum it up fairly concisely.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 07:55:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgp9MPLEAqA

"It's symbolic of his struggle against reality."

^^^ That seems to sum it up fairly concisely.

I think we should take all the trannies and their woke supporters and lock them in a room where that routine is playing on an endless loop.  It may not change their behavior, but at least it would get them out of our hair.  It smacks of petty revenge, too.  I wouldn't be above that sort of thing in this case.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 10:32:52 AM »
^^^I would add the 'what did the Romans ever do for us' loop as well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 07:08:48 PM »
While we're on the subject:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/combative-consumers-change-the-marketing-strategy-for-target-and-bud-light-97ca0ac2

“Previously you could send a homogeneous message to the country, but there’s so much divisiveness and polarization on so many issues that that’s become almost impossible,” said Allen Adamson, co-founder of brand and marketing consulting firm Metaforce.

Mr. Adamson seems to have missed the point. There was never a problem with advertising through a "homogenous" message -- until corporations started pandering to vocal minorities. NOW those minorities expect to be praised and to have marketing focused on/at them, and they get upset if companies "back off" and just focus on selling their product.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 07:48:22 PM by Hawkmoon »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 06:23:17 PM »
While we're on the subject:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/combative-consumers-change-the-marketing-strategy-for-target-and-bud-light-97ca0ac2

Mr. Adamson seems to have missed the point. There was never a problem with advertising through a "homegenous" message -- until corporations started pandering to vocal minorities. NOW thosse minorities expect to be praised and to have marketing focused on/at them, and they get upset if companies "back off" and just focus on selling their product.

I just read that article, and boy does it have some problems. Which is to say, it's normal journalism for 2023. Funny how if Target or Bud Light was caught selling confederate flag merch (much less to children), the story would be "they offended their reasonable and very sympathetic customers." But if it's the rainbow flag, the customers are the problem. "They're just so mean! Eeek!" Not even a defense of what Target was doing, pushing perv merch at children. That was just glossed over.

Then, this line here:
But critics this time were focused on transgender issues, which have climbed into the top ranks of conservative social agendas. And they combined their social-media messaging with tense in-person encounters.

[facepalm]

1 - um, who's got the agenda here?

2 - "they" So all the "transphobes" on the Twitters had secret meetings with their followers? "See here, Jim Follower; I'll message this stuff on the socials - you go to the store and rough 'em up."

And, of course, the usual Big Lie misgendering - using Mulvaney's preferred pronouns.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 07:53:10 PM »

And, of course, the usual Big Lie misgendering - using Mulvaney's preferred pronouns.

I have said before but I'll say again: I don't understand why there's such an effort by the gender dysphoric population to create unpronounceable pronouns. There are three basic options in English: male, female, and neuter. If a person is male, he's a "he." If a person is a female, she's a "she." If a person claims to be something other than male or female (non-binary), we have a perfectly good pronoun for them, too: "it."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 09:05:05 PM by Hawkmoon »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 07:54:51 PM »
I have said before but I'll say again: I don't understand why there's such an effort by the gender dysphoric population to create unpronounceable pronouns. There are three basic options in English: male, female, and neuter. If a person is male, here's a "he." If a person is a female, she's a "she." If a person claims to be something other than male or female (non-binary), we have a perfectly good pronoun for them, too: "it."

In polite company the "SH" can be silent.
 :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 10:56:49 PM »
I have said before but I'll say again: I don't understand why there's such an effort by the gender dysphoric population to create unpronounceable pronouns. There are three basic options in English: male, female, and neuter. If a person is male, he's a "he." If a person is a female, she's a "she." If a person claims to be something other than male or female (non-binary), we have a perfectly good pronoun for them, too: "it."

"It" is not equivalent to he or she, because "he" and "she" are for animate nouns, and "it" is strictly for inanimate nouns.

There is no other animate pronoun except for he/she/him/her. And pronouns are a closed word class in English so you cannot coin one.

As an alternative to coining a new pronoun, trans people could become inanimate. Note how animals and babies are sometimes inanimate in English; you can say "the baby fell down and hit its head", but you can't say "the woman fell down and hit its head".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine