Author Topic: Trouble in Memphis?  (Read 3967 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Trouble in Memphis?
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2023, 10:23:39 AM »
And something we don't talk about as much lately, but a whole lot of older/experienced cops were retiring or getting the hell out of the major cities once all the COVID stuff and riots started.  We speculated then about what sort of police force would be left in the future.
They've been recruiting dumb cops for a long time, with court approval.  (Note the date on the linked news story.)

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2023, 10:24:25 AM »
And something we don't talk about as much lately, but a whole lot of older/experienced cops were retiring or getting the hell out of the major cities once all the COVID stuff and riots started.  We speculated then about what sort of police force would be left in the future.

I know at least three who decided to get out because they didn't want to deal with all the BS now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2023, 10:37:04 AM »
They've been recruiting dumb cops for a long time, with court approval.  (Note the date on the linked news story.)

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
Just to be clear, that is not some sort of standard across the US. I know for a fact that the town for which I am involved in police hiring does not have any sort of maximum score.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2023, 11:45:25 AM »
Just to be clear, that is not some sort of standard across the US. I know for a fact that the town for which I am involved in police hiring does not have any sort of maximum score.
IMO, it depends on what sort of politicians are in your town maybe.  I figure big cities will be the worst since more people with their own agendas and they can hide the hiring standards in the bureaucratic mess.  Less chance that local citizens will be able to complain loud enough to make any difference. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2023, 12:48:39 PM »
Nothing is a pretty strong word. If he, had, say murdered or raped someone, I would say he would have deserved being beaten to death, weather or not it would be a good idea.  Extrajudicial executions are rarely good ideas.  For reckless driving, nope.  That is just my opinion.

Nothing is still the word I will use. Dan Bongino explains it better than I can.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1619591730432704512
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2023, 01:02:57 PM »
That is a good point.  My first thought was they were just ticked off, but there may have been other reasons.  I wasn't sure about it until I saw the video.  I have seen a lot of videos where cops were prosecuted that "looked bad", but weren't really that bad.  This was flat out terrible. 

Maybe the reason he ran is he knew who was pulling him over and what they intended to do?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2023, 02:11:44 PM »
That is a good point.  My first thought was they were just ticked off, but there may have been other reasons.  I wasn't sure about it until I saw the video.  I have seen a lot of videos where cops were prosecuted that "looked bad", but weren't really that bad.  This was flat out terrible. 

Maybe the reason he ran is he knew who was pulling him over and what they intended to do?

That thought has crossed my mind as well.  [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2023, 07:23:22 AM »
Other than he worked at Fedex anyone heard any more about the deceased?

Fedex? Hmmm.

Wild speculation mode on
Drug shipment not go to where it suppose to go or got discovered? Maybe he ratted one or someone out there?
The Fedex hub in Memphis if you google it has had several instances of drugs being found and shipments disappearing.
Wild speculation mode off

Note: Speculation only.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:38:16 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2023, 08:18:22 AM »
So here's what I'm finding interesting:

No big reports of riots or demands for the dismantling of police forces. No 24/7 coverage of events. This was clearly a gang of cops beating a guy to death. George Floyd was at most a negligent death. Compare and contrast reactions.

The Fox News site has zero coverage as of this morning. The CNN site has a "What Memphis did right" story.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2023, 08:36:23 AM »
With a black police chief in charge and five black cops being the perps, the media realized that spinning this as "a racist attack" wasn't going to fly . . . those who tried to make that case (and there WERE some who tried!) must have been taken aside and told it simply wasn't going to work this time.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2023, 09:02:33 AM »
Just because the officers were black doesn’t mean they aren’t violent ultra maga white supremisists promoting institutional systemic racism.
C’mon man.

Kind of like you were reading their playbook.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/27/opinions/tyre-nichols-memphis-police-department-jones/index.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2023, 09:04:41 AM »
As I said on page 1

No matter the police officer's race they're doing the white man's bidding.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2023, 10:55:03 AM »
Possibly totally unfounded rumor: The deceased was having sex with a romantic interest of one of the cops.

Possibly totally unfounded rumor: several of the cops were members of the Vice Lords gang. 

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2023, 12:59:13 PM »
Possibly totally unfounded rumor: The deceased was having sex with a romantic interest of one of the cops.

Possibly totally unfounded rumor: several of the cops were members of the Vice Lords gang.

I heard the first unfounded rumor, but not the second.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2023, 02:26:14 PM »
Race Race Race

Whoopi said. “Seems things don’t make sense to people unless it’s somebody they can feel, or they can recognize. But how many times do we have to — do we need to see white people also get beaten before anybody will do anything?”
Meanwhile, both co-hosts Sara Haines and Alyssa Farah Griffin noted they did watch the video, saying that, especially as white women, they felt it was important to do so and be aware of the brutality

‘The View': Whoopi Goldberg Wonders if Real Police Reform Would Come From Seeing ‘White People Also Get Beaten’
https://www.thewrap.com/the-view-tyre-nichols-video-reaction-whoopi-goldberg/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2023, 04:19:59 PM »
Race Race Race

‘The View': Whoopi Goldberg Wonders if Real Police Reform Would Come From Seeing ‘White People Also Get Beaten’
https://www.thewrap.com/the-view-tyre-nichols-video-reaction-whoopi-goldberg/

It happens often, and it gets reported often. And cops kill innocent white people, too, and that gets reported.

But Whoopi ignores all those reports, because those are only white people being beaten or killed. She only cares if/when the victims are black.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2023, 05:22:42 PM »
New Netflix Series On Tyre Nichols Beating To Feature White Officers
https://babylonbee.com/news/new-netflix-series-on-tyre-nichols-beating-to-feature-white-officers

"While we know the 5 officers who killed Nichols were factually black, it is also clear that they were morally white," said Netflix VP of Inclusion Vernā Myers. "Since TV is a visual medium, we want to convey to the viewer that these officers had the invisible specter of white supremacy flowing through their veins."

At publishing time, the 5 white actors had been canceled for taking acting jobs away from people of color.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pb

• friend
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2023, 10:32:29 PM »
Nothing is still the word I will use. Dan Bongino explains it better than I can.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1619591730432704512

Oh, I don't want police beating anyone to death if we can help it.  We need trials and so forth.  I am in favor of judicial executions for anyone guilty of a serious violent crime.  Being beaten to death would probably violate the cruel and unusual punishment clause though; hanging is good enough.  If these cops really did murder the motorist (I don't know), I hope they are all executed.

It is pretty weird to say some people don't deserve to be beaten to death though.  Our prisons are full of people who deserve to be beaten to death.

Suppose someone beat a a baby to death.  Does he/she not deserve to be beaten to death? 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2023, 12:03:16 AM »
How about we just take the (*^^_&^%% who stole my catalytic converter last night, and give him to me for a week of hard labor? Because that's what it will cost me to fix my van.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2023, 05:24:01 AM »

Suppose someone beat a a baby to death.  Does he/she not deserve to be beaten to death?

No. You put someone like that down clean, like a rabid dog or other threat.  Beating someone (or something) to death, outside of some exigent circumstances where you are lacking tools and they must be stopped immediately,  is IMO indicative of mental problems. 

.  If these cops really did murder the motorist (I don't know), I hope they are all executed. 

Side note: we have four angles of video showing the cops beat the guy, and the guy goes to the hospital straight from the beating, and than dies at the hospital from injuries sustained in the beating.  If you don't know they killed him now, what evidence would it take?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2023, 08:18:52 AM »
If you don't know they killed him now, what evidence would it take?

I don't know if they killed him because I didn't watch the video or read the autopsy report.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:28:27 AM by Pb »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2023, 08:19:30 AM »
is IMO indicative of mental problems. 

>:D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2023, 08:34:22 AM »
Race Race Race

Family's lawyer is accusing the Memphis PD of protecting the only white cop involved in this.
According to the article Hemphill was the officer who pulled Nichols from the car but he was not present at the 2nd scene where the fatal beating occurred

The only white officer involved in the horrific beating and death of Tyre Nichols was 'shielded and protected' by the Memphis Police Department, the family's attorneys have claimed.

Preston Hemphill was suspended with pay pending a hearing, but has so far been spared the criminal charges filed against his five police colleagues.

Hemphill, 26, who joined the force in 2018, wore the body-camera that captured the first of four videos released by authorities on Friday of the traffic stop and violent confrontation that followed.

also

Three members of the Memphis Fire Department who responded to the fatal police confrontation were also dismissed on Monday after investigators found he was beaten and left handcuffed on the ground without medical attention for nearly 15 minutes.

According to a fire department statement, emergency medical technicians Robert Long and JaMichael Sandridge failed to assess Nichols' condition when they arrived, while fire Lieutenant Michelle Whitaker, who drove them to the scene, remained in her vehicle.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11695757/Memphis-police-accused-protecting-white-officer-involved-arrest-Tyre-Nichols.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2023, 12:09:09 PM »
Race Race Race

Trying to squeeze racism from a turnip

The Daily Show stand-in host D.L Hughley says five cops charged over Tyre Nichols' death were arrested quickly BECAUSE they are black - as it emerges only white officer involved has NOT been charged
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11697109/Huntington-Park-cops-shoot-dead-double-amputee-Anthony-Lowe-Jr-tries-run.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2023, 05:39:10 PM »
No. You put someone like that down clean, like a rabid dog or other threat.  Beating someone (or something) to death, outside of some exigent circumstances where you are lacking tools and they must be stopped immediately,  is IMO indicative of mental problems. 

Side note: we have four angles of video showing the cops beat the guy, and the guy goes to the hospital straight from the beating, and than dies at the hospital from injuries sustained in the beating.  If you don't know they killed him now, what evidence would it take?

No, you treat them like a rapist or child molester. Feet first down a woodchipper.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG