Author Topic: Space Shuttle Challenger explodes 36 years ago today.  (Read 276 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Space Shuttle Challenger explodes 36 years ago today.
« on: January 28, 2023, 12:19:32 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-day-history-jan-28-1986-space-shuttle-challenger-explodes-shocking-nation

I was home on emergency leave for the funeral of my wife's grandfather (he'd raised her).
It was the first shuttle launch I had ever been able to watch on live TV.

A bunch of people should have gone to prison for that debacle and a couple should have been taken out and shot.

High Flight
by
John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Space Shuttle Challenger explodes 36 years ago today.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 12:21:27 PM »
Senior year of college. Got out of class and cut through the Union building, and there were hundreds of people in the big lounge clustered around the TV.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 12:33:19 PM »
My best friend is a retired mech engineer and worked on the original space shuttle project. His area was airframe and wing design and had moved on before that failure but was still really devastated by it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 01:03:58 PM »
. . . A bunch of people should have gone to prison for that debacle and a couple should have been taken out and shot . . .

Agreed.

BOTH space shuttles were brought down in large part due to politics. And nobody was "held accountable."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 01:36:10 PM »
I was in Elementary school in those days.  Occasionally they would haul everyone into the auditorium for a special event.  They did that for the first couple of shuttle launches.  We didn't watch that launch, but it was all over the news that day and after.  We all heard about it while still in school. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 01:38:56 PM »
I was ~4th grade.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 03:50:31 PM »
I was preflighting with my crew for a 12 hour mission when it happened. We walked back into the hanger and everyone was watching the replays on the TV in the duty off. We had about enough time to say a few words about it, the main one being about how it sucked. Then we strapped on our airplane and went hunting a Soviet sub between CA and Hawaii.

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 04:16:00 PM »
Iirc, I was sitting in a local pub beginning to have lunch with a couple co-workers and was watching the actual liftoff in real time. =(
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 05:08:30 PM »
I was preflighting with my crew for a 12 hour mission when it happened. We walked back into the hanger and everyone was watching the replays on the TV in the duty off. We had about enough time to say a few words about it, the main one being about how it sucked. Then we strapped on our airplane and went hunting a Soviet sub between CA and Hawaii.

bob

Did you find it?  Get to meet Capt Ramius?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?