Main Forums > The Roundtable

For the pilots and aviation wrench turners

(1/3) > >>

MillCreek:
Do American-manufactured civil and military aircraft use SAE or metric size fasteners?

Nick1911:
I don't actually know, but I do recall hearing that old SAE fasteners had ridiculous converted metric specifications in some systems.  So instead of using a 3/8-16, it was a 9.52 x 1.587mm or somesuch.

I'm not sure if american aviation uses ISO, ANSI, SAE, or some other standards body to define specs for fasteners. (AIA?)  It's also possible that there's multiple specs in play.

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: MillCreek on January 27, 2023, 03:09:37 PM ---Do American-manufactured civil and military aircraft use SAE or metric size fasteners?

--- End quote ---

Yes.

But on a more serious note...

Are you talking about recent/current manufacture, or in general over all of aviation history? Also, light aircraft or airliner-sized craft? That can narrow it down some, but only just.

Modern craft trend towards metric, especially those some portion of their market share outside the US, but imperial/metric use is still a crapshoot. Of all the weird things, Airbus still uses a mix of imperial and metric in their products. At least they did the last time I was inclined to notice, but that was admittedly several years ago.

Brad

RoadKingLarry:
Whitworth?

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: RoadKingLarry on January 27, 2023, 03:26:44 PM ---Whitworth?

--- End quote ---

Sicko.

Brad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version