Author Topic: How much emergency cash to keep on hand?  (Read 1511 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
How much emergency cash to keep on hand?
« on: February 02, 2023, 07:53:55 AM »
Interesting, short article.

https://lifehacker.com/here-s-how-much-emergency-cash-you-should-keep-at-home-1850048816?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I've always kept some cash on hand, but I'm way guilty of dipping into it and not replacing it. I've not looked in awhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if I were under $300.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: How much emergency cash to keep on hand?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 11:10:58 AM »
even as little as $200 can be useful. More than that is probably overkill—the money would be better off in a bank where it will be insured and earn interest.

A couple tenths of a percent bank interest is essentially useless, and FDIC just barely survived the crash 15 years ago and currently has 1.3percent of the funds needed to cover what they think will happen this year.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 05:49:07 PM »
Enough for a couple fillups at the gas pump and some groceries
IOW about $6000. That’s $1k in cash at home and $5k cash in the bank safe deposit box.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 06:11:03 PM »
At least several thousand dollars.

I also keep a couple grand in a second wallet I can grab when I'm on my way to a gun show, "just in case" I come across something I really want.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 07:19:48 PM »
Before my little one arrived I had finally managed to keep a grand in the safe. Long time to get to that. I have lots of other readily convertibles as in I can pay the house note awhile by selling ammo or other shiny stuff. My emergency cash is low now but the coffee cans of change are probably at least 300.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 07:37:31 PM »
IOW about $6000. That’s $1k in cash at home and $5k cash in the bank safe deposit box.

Better double that if you want a dozen eggs.

I generally keep between $500 and $1,000 on hand in my safe, but that has dropped considerably since COVID.

I need to bulk that back up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 08:38:54 PM »
More than I should.  Cashed in about 7 years worth of rolled coin last April. It was enough to cover a week long road trip to Cooke City MT with a big loop through the heart of Wyoming for me and my 17 y.o. daughter.
7-11 was a part time job.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 08:52:58 PM »

The bank safe deposit box is only viable if the bank is open for business ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 09:31:53 PM »
One months take home pay.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 09:43:55 PM »
Couple grand.  It's been handy to score "I can show up right now with cash" deals

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 09:57:45 PM »
At least several thousand dollars.

I also keep a couple grand in a second wallet I can grab when I'm on my way to a gun show, "just in case" I come across something I really want.
I would have that.  But things I "really want" come around too often.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 09:59:20 PM »
One months take home pay.
I think that is a good plan.  I have maintained a decent emergency fund for several years now, but not in cash.  Keeping a portion of that in cash (where you can access it) is likely a good idea.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 10:00:14 PM »
And with this crowd, I probably don't need to mention that this cash is something you don't talk about.  I think most people treat it that way, but you never know.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 10:11:36 PM »
I got a coffee can full of nickels.
 :O
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 10:12:12 PM »
And with this crowd, I probably don't need to mention that this cash is something you don't talk about.  I think most people treat it that way, but you never know.
Except to strangers online.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 11:18:34 PM »
Except to strangers online.

My cash is all in pesos.   [tinfoil]

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 07:09:33 AM »

I've got a gold 2 peso piece from the 1920s.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 08:39:17 AM »
I've got a gold 2 peso piece from the 1920s.
And today it probably has more or less the same buying power it did back then.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 09:02:02 AM »
The bank safe deposit box is only viable if the bank is open for business ...
The $1K is to get by on until the bank is open.
In the case of a prolonged shutdown due to natural disaster or civil unrest or zombie alpaca lips, I can likely still access it because of certain “connections”. (Not trying to be dramatic but it’s a small town and we have small town relationships.)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 09:10:32 AM »

I got the pistols so I’ll keep the pesos.

Down to my cans of change, unloaded what little I had in the safe to get a straight truck worth of future firewood dropped in the yard
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2023, 09:54:17 AM »
The prudent amount seems to be going up at about 10% a year.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2023, 01:49:34 PM »
Enough for a couple fillups at the gas pump and some groceries.  IOW about $6000. That’s $1k in cash at home and $5k cash in the bank safe deposit box.

Uh, this may be a dumb question but, in the event of a natural disaster (hurricane/tornado), who says the bank will even be open?

I use credit cards very sparingly, mainly because I don't like them.
And, in reading that article, I am way over what they seem to believe is "appropriate".
  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2023, 03:21:45 PM »
Uh, this may be a dumb question but, in the event of a natural disaster (hurricane/tornado), who says the bank will even be open?

I use credit cards very sparingly, mainly because I don't like them.
And, in reading that article, I am way over what they seem to believe is "appropriate".
  :rofl:
See my second post #18 above.
And for sake of discussion when I say “small town relationships” I mean something like being on the board of directors for the financial institution where said safe deposit box might be located.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 03:42:28 PM »
See my second post #18 above.
And for sake of discussion when I say “small town relationships” I mean something like being on the board of directors for the financial institution where said safe deposit box might be located.

In all likelihood, over 95% of the public is not so "connected".  It is much easier to find a used safe company and buy a fairly sizeable one that can't be hauled away with specialize equipment.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2023, 03:47:51 PM »
Because I don't have a branch of my credit union locally or even an ATM in their name I will usually keep about 1500 dollars in folding money stashed in the safe. I just replenish it as needed when I go to the big city.

bob