Author Topic: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US  (Read 6749 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2023, 07:31:43 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2023, 09:13:12 AM »
The Biden admin keeps saying there were undetected incursions during the Trump admin. If they were undetected how does the Biden admin know about them?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2023, 09:40:18 AM »
The Biden admin keeps saying there were undetected incursions during the Trump admin. If they were undetected how does the Biden admin know about them?

I think Gen. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Trans Staff, told the Biden administration that there is saved radar data stored during the last administration.  The military could go through that data and find hits from slow moving targets the tracking software was set to ignore.  Finding those slow targets would prove there were balloon overflights during the previous administration.  They could do this because OMG TRUMP! is making Biden administration look like a bunch of idiots and it would somehow allow them to save face.
It's not working.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2023, 09:42:58 AM »
Easy, Trump created space force because he knew. Now we are shooting up UFOs.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2023, 09:52:16 AM »

^^^THIS^^^ Where's their proof?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2023, 09:56:12 AM »
^^^THIS^^^ Where's their proof?

Many radar systems will store all hit data for long periods.  The radar tracking software is often set to ignore slow moving hits and display fast movers like aircraft because they are the most important things to track.  Going back over stored hit data to find slow movers is probably not all that difficult.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2023, 09:57:45 AM »
But somehow e-mails can never be found.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2023, 10:02:35 AM »
Many radar systems will store all hit data for long periods.  The radar tracking software is often set to ignore slow moving hits and display fast movers like aircraft because they are the most important things to track.  Going back over stored hit data to find slow movers is probably not all that difficult.

IMO, that is a military scandal if true.  Someone had found a way to penetrate our air space and we were ignoring it either whether on purpose or out of ignorance. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2023, 10:04:28 AM »
IMO, that is a military scandal if true.  Someone had found a way to penetrate our air space and we were ignoring it either whether on purpose or out of ignorance.

But the really important question in all of that is how to blame Trump.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2023, 10:28:54 AM »
Someone Has Just Released The Clearest Images Of The Object That Was Taken Out Above Alaska
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkwnbZH_WVg

Click bait stuff, but representative of some of the stuff out there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2023, 11:50:47 AM »

Not really.  Lots of slow moving things in the air that are not of concern or a threat.  Those are filtered out so they don't overwhelm the system.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2023, 12:39:16 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2023, 04:06:42 PM »
New Details Emerge About Unidentified Object That U.S. Military Shot Down Over Lake Huron
https://www.dailywire.com/news/new-details-emerge-about-unidentified-object-that-u-s-military-shot-down-over-lake-huron

“I’m not going to categorize them as balloons. We’re calling them objects for a reason,” VanHerck said. “I’m not able to categorize how they stay aloft. It could be a gaseous type of balloon inside a structure or it could be some type of a propulsion system. But clearly, they’re — they’re able to stay aloft.”

“We assessed taking a gunshot yesterday in that event, as well as today, and the pilots in each situation felt that that was really unachievable because of the size, especially yesterday in the altitude, and also because of the challenge to acquire it visually because it’s so small,” VanHerck said.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2023, 07:57:16 PM »
Remember in the sandbox we could get same day gun camera footage? Now they say these objects were shot down over rough terrain. They have recovered zero percent of them, but they are not aliens or enemy governments. Yeah, I believe them.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2023, 09:14:53 PM »
Remember in the sandbox we could get same day gun camera footage? Now they say these objects were shot down over rough terrain. They have recovered zero percent of them, but they are not aliens or enemy governments. Yeah, I believe them.

Shot down with modern fighters that have all kinds of positioning equipment such as GPS.  And they can datalink their position and the positions of enemies to other friendly aircraft so everyone on our side knows where everyone on their side is located.  And I'm sure the pilots have their personal phones or cameras with them.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2023, 10:17:12 PM »
Don't the missiles have video cameras in them as well as the HD Video in the plane?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2023, 10:29:28 PM »
Don't the missiles have video cameras in them as well as the HD Video in the plane?

For air-to-air missles, I would assume no.  Most of those are "fire and forget."

For certain air-to-ground (and ground-to-ground) missles that are steered in, then yes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2023, 10:29:59 PM »
U.S. officials knew about the Chinese spy balloon shot down off the coast of South Carolina from the moment it took off, sources said on Tuesday - leading to further questions about why it was not shot down sooner.

The balloon took off from Hainan Island off southern China at the end of January, and entered U.S. airspace on January 28 above Alaska. It briefly entered Canada and crossed back into U.S. territory over northern Idaho on January 30, the day the White House said Biden was first briefed on it.

Why didn't they shoot it down earlier? Biden administration monitored Chinese spy balloon shot down over South Carolina from moment it took off from South China Sea last month
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11752005/Why-didnt-shoot-earlier-Chinese-spy-balloon-shot-SC-seen-taking-off.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2023, 10:38:27 PM »
Why didn't they shoot it down earlier? Biden administration monitored Chinese spy balloon shot down over South Carolina from moment it took off from South China Sea last month
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11752005/Why-didnt-shoot-earlier-Chinese-spy-balloon-shot-SC-seen-taking-off.html

I think it is becoming clear that more people in our government than just Brandon have been bought and paid for by the CCP.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2023, 01:15:11 AM »
Fly that puppy in for a "carrier landing" on it and let the tailhook rip the top outta it! Can ya drop the hook with the gear up?
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2023, 09:14:01 AM »
Other news agencies are picking up the story

BREAKING: CBS News has learned that U.S. intelligence watched the Chinese spy balloon as it lifted off near China's south coast, meaning the U.S. military had been tracking it for nearly a week before it entered U.S. airspace. pic.twitter.com/oaR5yZIRwm

— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) February 15, 2023

A new wrench has been thrown into the Biden WH’s Chinese spy balloon spin
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/02/15/a-new-wrench-has-been-thrown-into-the-biden-whs-chinese-spy-balloon-spin/

So much for the we had no idea it was there until it was too late narrative
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2023, 09:25:25 AM »
Fly that puppy in for a "carrier landing" on it and let the tailhook rip the top outta it! Can ya drop the hook with the gear up?

Yes
But if you can get that close just hose it down rather than risk a $100 million aircraft and pilot for a circus stunt
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2023, 09:54:15 AM »
Last night Tucker claimed that the Biden administration was considering an apology for shooting down the Chinese spy balloon.

IF this is true (note I said IF) it begs the question - is it bribery or is it blackmail by the PRC that would cause Biden to consider this?

From what we can infer about the Biden family being compromised by the PRC it's actually plausible - we'll see if there's anything to this over the next couple of weeks. It could be someone deliberately leaked "disinformation" just to see if Tucker et.al. would bite on the bait and run with it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2023, 10:22:58 AM »
Don't Panic!

President Joe Biden has not addressed the American people about mysterious objects being shot out of the sky because the White House does not want to spark panic.

That was the answer given by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre on Tuesday when she was asked why Biden had not made a televised speech on the issue.

So talking about it is going to spark a panic? Right  ;)

And he's, well, just read

Could it be, wondered another reporter, that an 80-year-old president with a history of gaffes was not the right person to deliver sensitive messages like that.

'I will tell you this,' said an irritated press secretary, 'the president is the best communicator that we have at the White House.'

:facepalm:

Karine Jean-Pierre says Biden hasn't spoken about shot down objects because he doesn't want Americans to PANIC - and ends by saying he is 'the best communicator we have in the White House'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11751281/White-House-says-Biden-spoken-shot-objects-doesnt-want-spark-PANIC.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2023, 10:46:55 AM »
"preventing panic" is just a long used excuse to lie and hide embarrassing mistakes.