Author Topic: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US  (Read 6685 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2023, 11:32:15 AM »
At that point, what's the point?
Also maybe it is more likely to survive crashing into water so it can be captured?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2023, 11:32:18 AM »
What if…
It’s a “trial balloon” (literally) for political antagonism now but also as a possible delivery system , for oh I don’t know say a deadly pandemic virus? Biochem agents? Hmmm?
We already funded the gain of function research for them. (Thank you dr face diaper)
Who knows how much further it goes beyond what we know.
I trust the Chinese only somewhat less than I trust our own government.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2023, 11:34:31 AM »
Also maybe it is more likely to survive crashing into water so it can be captured?

Capture won't happen. I guarantee that if it's military, that they have a sterilization system onboard that they can activate remotely and through something like an altimeter trigger as a backup. By the time it hits the surface, even gently, it will be an inert hunk of plastic and metal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2023, 11:48:38 AM »
Capture won't happen. I guarantee that if it's military, that they have a sterilization system onboard that they can activate remotely and through something like an altimeter trigger as a backup. By the time it hits the surface, even gently, it will be an inert hunk of plastic and metal.
Yeah, probably. Unless it is an explosive system, though there is likely to be some value in examining it. If only to see what kinds of sensors it has.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2023, 11:52:40 AM »
Apparently over NC now.  Folks about 40 miles north of us in Boone were supposedly posting pictures of it on Fecesbook.  If that's true, I might be able to see it from my place in Hickory if it's still around 60k feet.  I'll take a look if it warms up enough to walk the pups soon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2023, 12:26:05 PM »
I feel dumber just reading this

If the balloon had anti-black history messages stenciled on it, or if it were dropping anti-trans pamphlets down to earth, or if it were broadcasting denunciations of wokeness non-stop, MAGA would be pro-balloon. They’d be welcoming the balloon. They’d be worshipping the balloon.

— Bill Kristol (@BillKristol) February 4, 2023
https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp-313137/2023/02/04/somebody-broke-bill-kristol-you-have-to-see-his-crazy-chinese-spy-balloon-tweet/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2023, 12:31:15 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2023, 12:51:26 PM »
Seeing on social media that there is a second one and it is in the 30,000 feet commercial airline altitude.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2023, 12:54:28 PM »
Seeing on social media that there is a second one and it is in the 30,000 feet commercial airline altitude.

In the Chinese news
Evil Western barbarian airliner rams one of our peaceful weather balloons!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2023, 12:54:35 PM »
Apparently over NC now.  Folks about 40 miles north of us in Boone were supposedly posting pictures of it on Fecesbook.  If that's true, I might be able to see it from my place in Hickory if it's still around 60k feet.  I'll take a look if it warms up enough to walk the pups soon.

Nope, didn't see it.  Maybe too far east at this point.  Lots of cirrostratus and stratus clouds as a backdrop, so it probably wouldn't stand out well even if it was still within visual range.
And it's kind of tough to do a good scan of the sky when you are walking your dogs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2023, 01:23:45 PM »
Pair of KC-135s and  a P-8 circling around off the coast of S.C.
Probably other mil aircraft in the area but they're not showing up on FlightRadar24
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2023, 01:26:59 PM »
I find it perversely amusing that if a gaggle of Chinese or Russian fighters or bombers were to enter U.S. airspace we would probably not hesitate to shoot down as many as possible. But a lone weather balloon is too dangerous to shoot down.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2023, 01:28:29 PM »
South Carolina police warn residents not to shoot at suspected spy balloon
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/suspected-chinese-balloon-over-us-02-04-23/index.html?tab=all
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2023, 01:29:55 PM »
The suspected surveillance balloon is now above Charlotte, CNN affiliate shows
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2023, 01:36:06 PM »
KC-46 Circling around along the coast of N.C. Another KC-46 further inland.
Tells me there are a few air assets in the area that aren't showing up
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2023, 01:42:49 PM »
Transmedium UFOs , Anti-Gravity Research, and Fake News!
https://www.youtube.com/live/U3U19gpBBkQ?feature=share

Speaking of spying, I caught most of this video from yesterday.  He starts off showing a video of a spy drone designed to be launched and recovered from a submerged submarine.  Not new tech these days I assume. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2023, 01:45:03 PM »
Apparently everyone but the Chinese are in favor of taking it out, so Biden is considering it…
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2023, 01:45:59 PM »
Rumble keeps sending me emails about the latest Infowars videos.  One of the headlines mentioned the balloon is a possible EMP attack test. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2023, 01:47:36 PM »
FAA issues ground stops for 3 airports in the Carolinas for "national security effort"

From CNN's Pete Muntean and Oren Liebermann

The Federal Aviation Administration has issued a ground stop for three airports in the Carolinas as a suspected Chinese spy balloon drifts through the area, a spokesperson confirmed in a statement.

The administration also restricted airspace near Myrtle Beach between 12:45 p.m. and 2:45 p.m. ET. for "national defense airspace.”

The affected airports are in Wilmington, North Carolina; Charleston, South Carolina; and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

“The FAA has paused departures to Wilmington (ILM), Myrtle Beach International (MYR) and Charleston International (CHS) airports to support the Department of Defense in a national security effort,” according to a statement from the FAA.

The notice comes as the balloon has been spotted over various parts of the Carolinas as it drifts closer to the coast.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/suspected-chinese-balloon-over-us-02-04-23/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2023, 01:49:27 PM »
Xi is in China laughing his butt off watching the Biden admin.
Xi: Send 12 more
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2023, 01:57:16 PM »
A couple of K35R aircraft have popped up on my FlightAware receiver.  They're in the area of the airspace closures at 21k to 23k feet altitude.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2023, 02:36:39 PM »
Right now Charleston, Wilmington and Myrtle Beach airports are in a ground stop due to "security"

bob

https://nasstatus.faa.gov/

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2023, 02:42:37 PM »
They should have shot it down a week ago over the Pacific. But we are ruled by incompetent dumbasses. I still don't see conformation on the second balloon I've been hearing about since yesterday.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2023, 03:03:32 PM »
They should have shot it down a week ago over the Pacific. But we are ruled by incompetent dumbasses. I still don't see conformation on the second balloon I've been hearing about since yesterday.
I haven't heard anyone confirm if we knew it was there a week ago.  I figure we should have, but I don't know.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2023, 03:06:17 PM »
Shot down

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-military-shoots-chinese-spy-balloon-atlantic-ocean

Since they didn't want to shoot it down I'd hope we at least collected any ELINT available from it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams